Good audio recorder for outdoor usage <$100

Reaction score
I want to record audio (stereo) on the ground when taking videos with my P3.
So I can add the audio later in post-editing.

Have anyone tips for a good audio recorder (portable) for outdoor usage with a 'wind' filter that filters the noise.
Or know anyone another good solution?

ZOOM H1. Can be had less than $100 and great sounds for the price. Can be used with a digital line-in as a remote microphone. The H4n is much better, but you're really looking at almost triple the cost.

You can filter background noise digitally and with covers for the mics. Also with a post production program such as Audacity (free)

Reactions: sawx75
ZOOM H1. Can be had less than $100 and great sounds for the price. Can be used with a digital line-in as a remote microphone. The H4n is much better, but you're really looking at almost triple the cost.

You can filter background noise digitally and with covers for the mics. Also with a post production program such as Audacity (free)

+1 on the H1. You'll have to get a dead cat/wind muff for it though, especially for using it outdoors.

+1 on the H1. You'll have to get a dead cat/wind muff for it though, especially for using it outdoors.
Mine came with a wind muff, but the dead cat mitt works better for sharp gusts and driving winds.

The Zooms are good. I bought a Tascam a while back and it's sound quality is superb and I've had no issues or trouble. Something like the DR-05 is $100 or less. There are lots of reviews and actual side by side recordings you can find on the web and youtube. Listen to some and find one that appeals. A wind muff is a must for outdoors. There are a lot of DIY instructions to make your own for cheap (from the leg of your daughters favorite stuffed animal..lol) and also youtube tests for them also. Listen to the samples with headphones not your computer speakers to really hear the differences.
If you can, get a small lavalier mike and then you can clip the recorder almost anywhere out of the way and clip the mike on your collar. Even low cost lavaliers sound pretty good for general narration.
You can always redo the voice over track indoors and eliminate the noise. That way you can fix what you don't like or missed.

Last edited:
I'll add another +1 for the Zoom H1. Handy little recorder that also takes external inputs if you want to add a cheap wired lav. A wireless lav setup, like the Sennheiser G3 that I really like, is probably overkill.

Something else I thought of. Most of today's phones do a fairly good job of recording audio, so you may already have something that will work. Rode makes a good lavalier mike that is made especially for smartphones and is about $73 on Amazon. It's broadcast-grade. It's called the "Rode smartLav+ Lavalier Microphone for iPhone and Smartphones"
Just another option!

Something else I thought of. Most of today's phones do a fairly good job of recording audio, so you may already have something that will work. Rode makes a good lavalier mike that is made especially for smartphones and is about $73 on Amazon. It's broadcast-grade. It's called the "Rode smartLav+ Lavalier Microphone for iPhone and Smartphones"
Just another option!

I can not speak on that particular product but Rode is a great brand.

+1 as well for Zoom H1 and so neat to carry around. I used one at a wedding I videoed where I put the Zoom in the groom's pocket and connected a lavalier microphone up to it which was then hidden behind his buttonhole flower. It worked incredibly well, even outside.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to do the same thing. We want to narrate our videos (during bridge inspections for example) so the audio is synchronized with the video. How does one synchronize the audio to video? Are the recording rates exact enough that it's just a matter of merging them together with Windows Movie Maker or something similar?? For example, if we talk and video tape for 15 minutes, are the video and audio really at the same place at the 14 minute mark? I guess this is something to try this weekend.

I guess this is an old thread, but i didn't see anyone mention using the internal mic on their tablets which =$0.
And at least on android you can use the Scr screen recording app and select to record audio as well as screen recording, which could give you the added element of adding in synched view from pilots view.

Reactions: Lyle Hardin

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20