Going to buy my first “real” drone tomorrow. A DJI Phantom 2

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day. I will be getting my first ”real” drone, a DJI Phantom 2. Looking forward to having a lot of fun flying it and finally be flying a real drone instead of basically a toy.

found it on Craigslist last night, it has a new battery and looks like a lot of accessories for it and from the pictures it looks like new.

Tomorrow is the big day. I will be getting my first ”real” drone, a DJI Phantom 2. Looking forward to having a lot of fun flying it and finally be flying a real drone instead of basically a toy.

found it on Craigslist last night, it has a new battery and looks like a lot of accessories for it and from the pictures it looks like new.
Not to rain on your parade, but in my opinion I would hold out and buy something from a Phantom 3 and up. Even a Spark is a better drone than a P2 and you can get a used Spark on Craigslist for a pretty good deal.

I was out flying the cheap toy drone tonight by the dunkin donuts in the back parking lot. It was flyable but with the 20 plus mph wind gusts... it was a challenge to get it to behave. I’m in the Chicago area so it’s kinda hard to find a good one for a cheap price, and since the corona virus bs is keeping most people working from home, and I do not agree with having to comply with the covid restrictions I only do the absolute minimum for the job. It’s not fun to be working and forced to tolerate your own company at all, and I cannot tolerate more than an hour or two alone tops, so the drones will provide entertainment and attention.

Reactions: quadrotor
Welcome to PhantomPilots.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

✋Hi from Florida ?
I agree with others to get a P3 at least. Harder to get parts all the time as the new models come out. If that's not possible then get what you can and enjoy. Good luck.

Reactions: John Locke
Hi from Calif! I also agree with others here. I don't recommend going down the P2 path, that craft is over 5yrs old. DJI has come a long way since then, you'd be passing up some of the best features of DJI IMO. Parts will be a problem on P2 also, as mentioned.

If you're not aware, Lightbridge communications with their craft is what put DJI years ahead of other manufactures. It allows over 2 miles of range with good video and control capabilities. The P2 and P3S uses Wifi communications, good for about 2000' reliably in ideal conditions. I would recommend at least a P3Pro which was the first craft with Lightbridge, if you can find a good buy in your budget. It's worth it to wait and save more money to get at least a P3P. That's a great craft, even today.

Mavic Mini will run circles around P2 also, but might not be as capable with wind, which could be an issue in Chicago. The mini is better than P2 with video quality, portability, flight range (even though it uses "enhanced Wifi), flight time (25min battery endurance instead of 15min), gimbal quality, and software app capabilities. Mini is also current, so parts are available, and you don't have to register it with the FAA, due to it's 249gm weight.

Reactions: Capt KO
I met the person selling it, and if it was not in the condition it was advert or if he did not negotiate price at all, he wanted $350 with a new battery... I wanted to pay $300 I had plans of going to Best Buy and getting a Mavic kit. I saw the drone, looks brand new and he flew it, as well as it having the fpv monitor and transponder included along with a really nice custom backpack to carry everything in plus the original box and manuals. After he landed it he asked what I thought.? I said I like it, is the price negotiable? He said within reason so I offered him $250 and he said $300. I said let me see, went to the car and counted money said I’ll give you $280, all the cash I have and don’t have the debit card with.... he thought for a few minutes and said well ok, I never used the new battery but ok I guess. I am the proud owner of it now, soon will be doing the first flight. I guess according to the manual, since it is in a new area I have to calibrate the compass for the gps to work right?

Just had it up for about 15 minutes and even with the crazy wind gusts it flies rock steady. So much easier to fly than the toy one I got from kohl’s.

I guess he bought the fpv kit as an option it’s called flysight. It has two 5.8 ghz antennas that go on it and a transponder.

Reactions: dirkclod
Had it up the second time, set a timer on my iPhone for 18 minutes and still had battery left. Probably will be able to get about 30 minutes of flight time with it. This flies so nice, and actually easy to fly.

If you are enjoying your time with your Phantom 2, wait until you try a Phantom 3 Pro or above. It will blow your mind away.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I'm hoping to have this one for quite a while, just ordered 2 more batteries from Amazon for it, but if it is anything like bonsai trees... I am sure I will have a collection of drones as well. I have the Phantom and then the cheap one from kohl's which isn't bad if there is no wind.... however in Chicago that is a rare occurrence that there is no wind.....

I see myself flying the Phantom much more than the one from kohl's. As much as I hate giving any money to the government, especially since they think they can force me to comply with the covid-19 bs, and do nothing for me... I think I will do the drone registration as well, even the one from kohl's had a thing about registration

I see myself flying the Phantom much more than the one from kohl's. As much as I hate giving any money to the government, especially since they think they can force me to comply with the covid-19 bs, and do nothing for me... I think I will do the drone registration as well, even the one from kohl's had a thing about registration
Good luck with the P2. Registration is not an option. You must register as a recreational pilot and put that number on the drone body.

BTW, COVID-19 is very real.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik