GIVEAWAY: Phantom 4 (winner = lalvar40)

I'm giving away a brand new Phantom 4 to one lucky Phantom Pilots member!

View attachment 45630

Interested? Here's what you need to do:
  • I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)
I would like to see some information on how to use ND filters correctly!! I struggle so much with them! :O

I think you should have exercises to complete that include use of the Phantom Simulator, like what happens in given scenarios of certain problems people have with falling out of the sky. You could simulate Shut down by accident and how to recover etc...all exercises that involve the Simulator. It's about as close as you can get for newbies to simulate situations and Situation awareness.

Hello ole' friend,
My input on it. Flying is easy that not the problem ( as these crafts fly themselves ) , there is deeper problems:

First:
Orientation ( this is the biggie ) they MUST be able to fly any direction, anytime, any orientation. This is KEY to a great pilot.

2)
Preventative MAINTENANCE! How many of you actually oil, rebuild your bearings in your motors? Or open your craft for inspection, or balance your props, battery care, ect. A little TLC now and again. To keep em flying!

3)
Taking the perfect shot/video:
There almost needs to be a simulator not for flying, but for taking a perfect video or camera shot.
( you don't know how many times I returned from a shoot, just to find out my shadow was in the shot, or due to heavy or twitchy movements on sticks, caused a shake in video ) little things like ( Smooth , slow , steady stick movements while shooting ) being aware or you, your shadows, surrounding light, objects, and of corse people/animals. It can be tricky to get a shot in reality, that you invisioned in your head!

4)
Camera settings, and what they do!
( if I increase my white balance, what does that do if I don't increase shutter speed? ) ect.

5)
Make a plan ( plan your shoot )
Take in consideration: Sun, Wind, trees.( Time of day, can benefit you too ) early morning sunrise, can make for some beautiful footage!
Ie: ok sun is in front of me, so I need to shoot from behind me , as not to get sun glare, ect. As these little things can ruin a really good shot!

6)
Excerpts ,
Take several short videos, and some pictures, edit them together for a fantastic video, or tutorial, documentary, or simply small shots of all the places you've been, things like that, can be a lot of fun.

7)
Some ideas of possible shoots, a lot of locals go certain places to shoot something like a preserve or whatever, and when they get back, they depressed, because they did not get what they wanted, or were scared to fly over water, or just were inexperienced in getting the right angle, height, ect.

8)
Factory options:
This part just ( gets under my skin ) these crafts have SO MANY ( Hidden features )
IOC
RTH
HOMELOCK
GROUNDSTATION
MISSION PLANNER
NAZA-mode
Manual control
ATTI
Need I go on?
BUT
How many of you ACTUALLY use them? How many have used all of the list above ( and the list is only partial , and not complete!

My point:
Everyone ready to trade, sell, ect for the newest greatest model out, but never even used their previous model's full capacity? I don't get this?
Some are just scared, some simply don't know about it, other don't know how to make any of it work at all?
Some don't care!
How can we move forward if we pass up SO MUCH STUFF?

I'm still flying my P2v non plus, and have yet to open its full capabilities yet ( I've spent the last 3 years learning naza, fixing p2's, customizing them, testing everything, flying,learning all the camera settings and what they do, filters and what they do, aftermarket gimbals, and learned Alexmos simplebgc settings, and I'm still not done, still A LOT to learn. How can people pass all this info up? And this is on a vision, I've never had a plus, or anything newer, but I build parts for the 3's, and have never seen one before! Go figure!

I just think we need to focus on the basics ( remove the fear ) SETTINGS, angles, shadows, filters, orientation, time of day, surroundings, ect.

Like a simulator, where you can see exactly what the settings do, if your shadow is in the shot it tells you, or you can see it, ect.

Sorry to ramble,
Keep up the great work! Let me know if you need any help! Always glad to help! Good luck to ALL!

Till next time,
Take care, Fly safe!
Your friend
J Dot

Ps: I think it is very cool of you, to do this! These types of things make this site FUN! Not to take away from all my friends here, they are a blast too!
But all in all a nice change from the normal problems, and unfortunately, we all face them, but that is why we are here! Lol....

Reactions: dirkclod
Whoa thanks man for even considering giving away a phantom 4 that's awesome!

I would say start with the basics! DJI is having that massive 10year sale so a lot of new drone owners are going to be looking for answers some where *raises hand* I came here straight away :) a lot of people are investing thousands into these drones, I'm from Australia and the phantom 4 costs $2399 :O.

So maybe go over the basics first to keep people's expensive investment in tack. go through the steps to use before each flight, use video and pictures. Then cover the basics when up in the sky and then move on to video editing...cause ...well... that's the main reason people buy drones for the camera :) also go over the must have accessories to go along with your drone.

the most important thing maybe is use personal experience so tell us what your setup is and how you 'prepair' for each flight :)

I would suggest starting with the usual beginner guidelines similar to he resources published by DJI, in a more casual manner but more in-depth and with the insights of an experienced user. To be more specific here are the topics

- Preflight checklist
- Parameters for safe flights (meteorological conditions, no-fly zones, safety to others, compass calibration, battery handling and best practices, propeller handling and best practices)
- How to fine tune controls for optimal handling
- Different flight modes and an in depth handling tutorial for each of them such as: how to correctly set up RTH, GPS mode flights, learn to fly your drone in ATTI mode safely to be able to respond in an emergency when gps mode gets disabled, automated flight modes and how to use them responsibly)
-post flight checklist and flight-log analysis

Beyond that i'd love to have resources such as the following:

- Basics of photography and how to achieve the best results
- Cinematic movement of the camera and how to make your videos look more attractive including tips for post processing such as denoising, changing frame rates, expanding bitrate, color grading and recommended software for post processing
- Review and list of recommended hardware add-on accessories including but not limited to: monitoring devices (tablets, goggles, etc) landing gear add ons, gimbal protectors, ND filters, lens caps, trackers, propellers and motors.
-DIY repair tutorials for the more tech savvy such as: shell replacement, gimbal replacement and motor replacement, fix broken antennas, etc.

Looking forward to see what you will create!

Last edited:

View attachment 45630

• I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)
Phantom Boot Camp! Perhaps a multi-part course, with segments short and concise. I have seen so many instructional videos, etc, that quickly overwhelm the student. These short courses would allow the student to start from the very beginning, or skip to a module on a subject the are not familiar with, or need a refresher. Some course ideas:

1-Which aircraft is right for me?
2-Unboxing and initial setup.
3-Preflight rituals.
4-Your first flight.
5-Emergency situations.
6-Basic photography & Video
7-Safety.
8-Advanced techniques.
9-Lessons learned.
etc.

View attachment 45630

Sir, I have a two-day training program already in PDF. It is free for anyone which may want it. Just shoot me an email at [email protected], and I will send it your way if the one attached doesn't open for you. It was created for all the people living in our area that just got one, or have switched from another. It is a free class they can take at the local RC field, but the PDF isn't foolproof. It is just to cover all the basics for them, but at least, they have more knowledge than when they unboxed it, and some people with stick time to help them out. Maybe this will help some people on their way as well.

Attachments

• Phanton 3 Training.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 375
I would reccomend giving tips on planning out flight paths to get smooth shots and tips on night recording.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Greetings, I will suggest starting with the basic of flight and the definition of each. Pitch,rool, yaw, and thrust. Then the most important to me since i am new to flying is orientation. Mastering the way to train the brain when flying In different orientation. This takes the most time to learn I'm my opinion. After you get the hang of flying start learning the different modes one at a time. Try using the simulator to practice. I feel all this should be learned before you ever go on the first flight. The most important lesson that I feel is knowing all the safety rules and flying in safe places and following the rules set in place. It can be taught in text with some video demonstrations.

Firstly can I say, what an outstanding prize!
I'm very new to flying drones, I'm absolutely addicted, I think the main issue I have is the reliance of the fpv and information on the screen, with this in mind I would love to see more videos based around 'blind' flying and what to do if you lose flight data/video a very basic hands on flying course, simple circuits and figure of eights etc. Also some basic photography, ISO, exposure and the like. Also right at the end, a little piece announcing me as the proud new owner of your Phantom 4 . Just tobadd perhaps a short piece on current regulations, and maybe a link to constantly updated regs as drones seem to be the new Donald Trump of the media world .

There is a huge void of information on the topic of flying within five miles of an airport..

When a hobbiest needs to fly within five miles of an airport with a tower the need to notify the tower prior to flight. with, or without, a tower they need to talk with the airport operator.

Tell them how to find the tower and airport operator's number in the phone book or online

Do not be afraid to call. As a Section 333 Exemption and the first and, thus far, only COA (Certificate of Authorization) holder for flying within my airport's airspace I found my airport and tower managers very easy to talk to. The tower developed a checklist of questions to ask of hobbiests seeking to fly within 5 miles of their airport:
a. Are you a Hobbiest (not public or civil operation)
b. Have you notified the airport's operator:
c. Geographic location ( example near the intersection of 5th and Vine)
d. Highest Altitude AGL (Above Ground Level)
e. Number of Unmanned Aircraft (UA):
f. Number of UA operators:
g. Operation Start Time
h. Operation End Time
I. Real Time contact number:
j. Caller's contact information (Name, phone number, address)
The unique needs of your airport my require additional information. Be patient if there are a lot of aircraft operating in the traffic pattern at the time you call. Lives depend on the tower personnel's attention. They will get to the phones when they are not as busy.

That's it. Write down their questions in the order asked. With that you can create your own checklist to read off your answers without needing to be Imagine how impressed they will be with your professionalism.

- Setting appropriate RTH height to be safe.
- Flying backwards safely.
- Always flying POV when close to other objects or buildings.
- Camera settings.
- Avoiding large populated areas.

If the training plan is for beginners I would start with teaching how to be a good pilot before learning how to be a good photographer. I have seen too many "photographers" fly without knowing how to fly safely and end up damaging property or loosing their expensive investment. Focus on being a good pilot before learning photography is a big one for me. Whether that means buying a cheap indoor quad first or practicing on the simulator this is the route new people in this hobby should take.
  • Basic quadcopter terminology
  • Orientation and stick commands
  • Handling techniques
  • Basic quadcopter hardware components
  • Preventive maintenance
  • Software features
  • Situational awareness
  • Pre-flight checks/planning
  • Post-flight checks
  • Safety techniques
  • Hand catching
  • Rules regarding where you can and cannot fly, LOS, etc etc
  • Effects of external elements
  • All quadcopter specific features of the DJI P3/P4
This is only a few I can think of off the top of my head. Only once the pilot fully understands the safety concerns and fully understands his/hers equipment and is confident with the operation of the equipment, then they can start focusing on how to get that perfect video or still picture.

I'd like to see examples on the best types of shots one can achieve with a phantom, and then instruction on the best way to achieve them

The biggest areas of interest and should be included in any training program should include.

Ground school portion:
Available tablet or phone to use with the drone
Set up and understanding of the app(s) and how they interact with the controller and drone
Photography and videography for drones
Equipment familiarization (maintenance, flight safety, Federal Law compliance)

Flight training:
Equipment and area preflight
Basic flying skills ( TO + Land, orientation, forward, vertical and lateral control)
Inflight use of software and camera
Intermediate flying skills (effects of wind, temperature, altitude, flight safety, emergency procedures, precision maneuvering of the drone)
Advanced flying skills (applying aircraft knowledge, flying skills and video/photography to become a well rounded pilot)
Post flight and proper travel storage.

Ground school portion:
Advanced video and photography skills and applications (Students will have a good appreciation of the complexities involved in turning out a good product for personal or commercial use)

The course should be tailored to the most popular models with notations for other models. Affordability and thoroughness will go a long way in gaining support and will be of great use to the end user aka. drone pilots and operators.

Drone flying is a new activity with most users being new or intermediate level, teach accordingly.

Last edited:
Well I have more chance of winning this than winning the lottery or getting my wife to agree with me. Not 100% sure what your after but I will look upon this as what I would have wanted when I first got my little heli.

1. Unboxing. Removing ALL the safety brackets etc. (yes I did miss part of one). How to put the props on and ensure they are on safely. (another lesson I learned the hard way).

2. How to set up and charge the remote control. Batteries etc. Not to charge RC and battery at the same time. (who would do such a thing? :) ) How to attach you phone/Tablet etc. Which ones work and which ones do not.

3. How set up the unit. IMU calibration. Compass calibration. Ensuring the DJI app is downloaded. Updating the system to the latest. Updating the Phantom, batteries and RC. Downloading MAPS into the cache and ensuring they are there for the areas you may fly in.

4. Pre flight checks. Compass calibration again on site. Picking your safe area to fly. Awareness of surroundings and potential problems, eg metal surfaces effecting compass calibration. Setting RTH Mode height, and why its necessary etc. The L shaped system for RTH and why it does that. E.g flying over trees on the way back instead of into them. :)

5. Simple flights in beginner mode. Practicing simple flights. There and back. Circuits. Trying out the RTH mode. What each screen does and how it can help you. Radar, map etc. Also how to aline the red aircraft arrow to bring it back and that is what direction the camera is pointing.

6. Removing the Beginner mode and going for longer flights. Progressing to an out - of - sight flight and how to work out where the aircraft is and how to bring it back safely home again.

7. Practicing emergency situations and showing how the P3 acts in those situations. E. G. Fly it a short distance away and then switch off the RC, or let the battery run down whilst its not far away. Just to demonstrate the automatic safety features on the Phantom. Helps boost confidence and reduce underwear replacement.

8. Showing what the various modes do and what they are for, F mode, Atti mode, P mode. Demonstrating the waypoint, POI etc.

9. Once the pupil is happy flying then show how to take photos and videos. Its nice to have something to show for their hard work.

10. How to set up the camera for video footage and photography. What the various settings do. Perhaps trying out effects and seeing what they do. Comparing photographic results of the different settings.

11. Show how filters can help. What they do and which ones to buy, or not buy. What makes a good filter a good filter etc Demonstrating the before and after photos.

12. How to edit on the RC. How to live stream.

14. How to maintain the Phantom and everything else connected to it. Prop balancing. Lens cleaning. What to do and just as important what not to do when cleaning. Dunking in a tub hot soapy water apparently does not help.

15. Perhaps how to edit your footage on external software. How and where to post it. How to share that footage on here.

16. Accessories. Gimbal guards. Prop guards. Lens covers. Backpacks. Storage cases. Alternative software with different or improved features over DJI. Why some are a good idea and some are not so good.

16. Upgrades you can do. Both the good and the bad.

Obviously depending on the skill of the user one can start at different parts on this list.
Perhaps with a few "it seemed like a good idea at the time" video clips. At different points to make it a little more light hearted, rather than a day at school. :)

Phew. Have I missed anything? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dollytub
First of all, kudos for doing this - very cool for one lucky person and great way to generate an excellent discussion! Besides all of the phenomenal ideas already presented here, it would be great to have an honest an in-depth evaluation of all the apps we use to control these aircraft, I.e. Go, Litchi, Vertical Studio, etc. A very thorough examination of each of them, with all the pros and cons of each, extent of capabilities, etc. Even so far as to investigate the mapping apps that are available as well, create a resource that can be updated over time as these apps evolve from their current forms and become more and more applicable to certain scenarios and types of pilots.

Thanks for doing this!

Edit: FYI @msinger if you happen to pick me as the lucky recipient, then my brand new P3Pro goes to the runner-up of your choosing! ;)

Last edited:
I think you've already got a great base with your "Phantom Help website" but you really could build you brand with a free YouTube video series to compliment the website and draw in a large Following base. I would use models as YouTube GoPro "MicBergsma", YouTubes "MrSaltWater" and YouTube Axial RC car guy "Harley Designs", a lot like yourself Harley started with a small help type page where he also sold his small line of upgrade products for Axial RC cars (Stainless steal hardware kit etc.) By building his brand through a free video series he gain a very large following base on YouTube and now I believe he is "Sponsored" by Axial (free kits, video recording equipment, studio type stuff and maybe even now on the payroll). You could start off with the basic stuff "You have a new P4, Now what" series and go over everything the new owner should "do/have/Learn" to make him a "Better Pilot/Videographer/Community Member" and then branch into a series for "P4 upgrades" where you test and scrutinize upgrades such as "Filter/gimbal protectors/gps locators/cases etc etc." I know there are already a few guys out there doing something similar already but I think they are lacking a lot IMHO....Not saying that those others aren't a great resource of knowledge as I follow a few of the already but not a single one of them are doing a complete catalog type series. You could set yourself further apart by having a sexxy, bikini clad model/assistant or even wear the bikini yourself but that may get you the wrong following.

I keep reading about people opening the box and thinking it's ok to fly without reading the manual. Even after reading it and experimenting with the app simulator there's so much to know it can still be risky for newbies, unless they spend lots of time in groups such as this.

So I suggest a section in your planned course (and maybe you could include in your training manual, if you write one) that summarizes in just a few pages, the most common mistakes newbies make, and the actions that are most risky to flight safety and drone safety:

Anybody can open the box and start flying and many do just that and as a result, learn the hard/expensive what they should NOT have done.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart