Gimbal sticking face down

Reaction score
So I seem to keep getting problems.

My gimbal, when GoPro is facing down on powerup, will continue to face down and the tilt function won't work. If I tap it, control resumes as normal.

If I power on while facing the gopro forward, all seems to work as normal.

This is a new, replacement phantom from Amazon. Two flights and it has exhibited this behavior since day one.

I've tried:

-calibrations
-reloading firmware after performing reset
-going to stock clip
-removing battery, etc.

Thoughts? I don't want to neglect it if it may lead to premature failure.

I figure I'll tackle this problem then get back to my FPV issue.

Scorp
https://vimeo.com/118756363

That looks abnormal.

I know the gimbal talks to the IMU.
Can you do an Advanced IMU.
Do it on a level surface and do it when the phantom is still cold. Do the IMU the moment you plug the phantom in. Don't let it idle otherwise it will have the "MC warning too hot". You can ignore if it pops up but it may lead to a longer calibration.

Reoscorpio said:
dptcalvin said:
Not normal. Have you tried resetting the gimbal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVigBCbVzU

Yup, tried that.

I wonder if it was installing the 30 pin connector with the extra weight on the backplate.
Unlikely.

Hmm, very strange behavior. Honestly, I'd return it for a new one. Paying this much, it should work out of the box.

dptcalvin said:
Reoscorpio said:
dptcalvin said:
Not normal. Have you tried resetting the gimbal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVigBCbVzU

Yup, tried that.

I wonder if it was installing the 30 pin connector with the extra weight on the backplate.
Unlikely.

Hmm, very strange behavior. Honestly, I'd return it for a new one. Paying this much, it should work out of the box.

That's the last thing I want to hear as this is my second one. I can exchange the whole thing through Amazon I guess as they won't just let me return the gimbal but it is such a pita. Definitely won't be going through Dji

Welp, hold out for another few days if you have the time (not sure when your return window is over) and maybe someone else will be able to help. Crossing my fingers for you.

I understand your frustrations. I upgraded from a 3 Black to a 3+ Black and my gimbal did not like it. I was using the Shapeways clip with both. I switched back to the stock screw in clip and all is well with the 3+ Black now. It can't be a weight thing, because I use the 3+ Black with and without filters and it doesn't seem to mind. It can't be a balance thing because the gimbal is perfectly balanced (stays level by itself after counter balancing) with both cameras when off. So it likes the 3 Black with the Shapeways clip, with or without a filter, but hates the 3+ Black with the Shapeways clip, with or without a filter. It seems okay with the 3+ Black with the stock screw in clip, with or without a filter.

Sorry, off topic. Heh.

I doubt it's the bus connector you added, but maybe try the USB ribbon cable.

Also, does this happen every time the gimbal starts pointing down?

dptcalvin said:
Welp, hold out for another few days if you have the time (not sure when your return window is over) and maybe someone else will be able to help. Crossing my fingers for you.

I understand your frustrations. I upgraded from a 3 Black to a 3+ Black and my gimbal did not like it. I was using the Shapeways clip with both. I switched back to the stock screw in clip and all is well with the 3+ Black now. It can't be a weight thing, because I use the 3+ Black with and without filters and it doesn't seem to mind. It can't be a balance thing because the gimbal is perfectly balanced (stays level by itself after counter balancing) with both cameras when off. So it likes the 3 Black with the Shapeways clip, with or without a filter, but hates the 3+ Black with the Shapeways clip, with or without a filter. It seems okay with the 3+ Black with the stock screw in clip, with or without a filter.

Sorry, off topic. Heh.

I doubt it's the bus connector you added, but maybe try the USB ribbon cable.

Also, does this happen every time the gimbal starts pointing down?

Dptcalvin,

Thanks as always for the information. These units definitely seem finicky and prone to minor weight issues. I did the advanced IMU again, switched back to the usb ribbon, and tried the stock clip. If it is facing forward on startup, there is no problem.

However, if it is facing down, it will do this every single time. I've also just noticed that the motor casing and the control board for the tilt motor get extremely hot as they are clearly trying to work in this state.

I've emailed amazon to ask about possibly replacing just the gimbal instead of the whole bundle. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, if anyone has anything else I can try, let me know.

As always, happy flying.

Scorp

Amazon is already shipping out a replacement for this after seeing the video. Didn't want to take chances.

Simply the best customer service. It will be here tomorrow and I'll ship this one off in the same box

Reoscorpio said:
Amazon is already shipping out a replacement for this after seeing the video. Didn't want to take chances.

Simply the best customer service. It will be here tomorrow and I'll ship this one off in the same box
I've been a Prime member for 4 years. I placed about 350 Prime orders last year. Even with the increased cost of Prime, I will continue to be an Amazon customer. Customer service is fantastic.

I had this issue also. Gimbal started with camera at a 45 degree angle. Any operation of the wheel to tilt the gimbal ended up with it pointed straight down. Did several procedures without success.

The RC software instructions are incomplete. When you do a calibration, all are told is to swirl the sticks to calibrate. What they don't tell you is to swirl the sticks, operate both switches AND rotate the dial for the gimbal to calibrate the gimbal. When I learned that and redid the calibration to include EVERYTHING, I regained control of my gimbal.

The DJI instructions are very poor across the board.

cinematologist said:
I had this issue also. Gimbal started with camera at a 45 degree angle. Any operation of the wheel to tilt the gimbal ended up with it pointed straight down. Did several procedures without success.

The RC software instructions are incomplete. When you do a calibration, all are told is to swirl the sticks to calibrate. What they don't tell you is to swirl the sticks, operate both switches AND rotate the dial for the gimbal to calibrate the gimbal. When I learned that and redid the calibration to include EVERYTHING, I regained control of my gimbal.

The DJI instructions are very poor across the board.

I've had that before and calibrating X1 fixed it.

The issue in this thread was that it would initialiZe straight down and remain there on one startup and then be fine and hit the 45 degree on the next.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl