Gimbal not levelling out

denofr said:
Take this with however many grains of salt you wish. A few days ago I powered up the phantom and lo and behold the gimbal was tilted exactly as described by many. I then noticed that my battery wasn't seated all the way, when I slammed it home the gimbal righted itself. Now... I am not suggesting to all of you that your battery is not seated but I am suggesting that it seems that the condition may be related to power. If you look inside the battery slot you'll see what looks like two little spring loaded pins my guess is maybe they aren't seating properly or somehow aren't making proper connectivity.

I still think it is a power problem of some sort. I don't have the problem right now so I can't troubleshoot but if I were one of you I would at least give this some thought. You might want to open it up and check all the solder joints associated with power, including those pins.

Hi Guys - Just got a mail back from DJI asking me to send the PV to their German office/support depot. I have a form that must be filled in with a support number, so don't just send your PV back to DJI without confirmation from them first. No idea how long this is going to take. I'll get it shipped out today and as usual will keep y'all posted.

@ denofr - not sure how this could be a power problem, but then I'm no electrician. The gimbal has power, and fights to go back to the "home" (albeit the wrong "home") position when I move it in any direction. Besides, to the untrained eye, how would I know if i was looking at a dry solder joint or not....? (Would be good to know for future reference)

keep us informed i crashed mine today bent the gimble arm bent it back and now my camera is at about a .5-1 degree tilt
if they would only come out with repair parts for this would solve a lot of issues.

myrick said:
keep us informed i crashed mine today bent the gimble arm bent it back and now my camera is at about a .5-1 degree tilt
if they would only come out with repair parts for this would solve a lot of issues.

How did you bend the arm back? I'm nervous about applying too much pressure and having it (or some other part) snap.

I just called them. They sent me a return label with no hassle. Said they will most likely just exchange the unit unless it is an easy fix.

B4orce said:
@ denofr - not sure how this could be a power problem, but then I'm no electrician. The gimbal has power, and fights to go back to the "home" (albeit the wrong "home") position when I move it in any direction. Besides, to the untrained eye, how would I know if i was looking at a dry solder joint or not....? (Would be good to know for future reference)

The only way to explain what happened to me, at least that I can think of, is that one or both of the two spring loaded pins weren't engaged behind the battery because as soon as I resat the battery the gimbal immediately straightened up. Like I said in my original post I don't think that everyone needs to reseat their battery but I think it does point to a power issue.

malacca said:
myrick said:

How did you bend the arm back? I'm nervous about applying too much pressure and having it (or some other part) snap.

with my fingers and force did it slowly

B4orce said:
Hi again,
thanks for the video.
Please place the Phantom on an even and levelled surface and perform an advanced IMU calibration.
If this won´t work, there´s something wrong with the Gimbal and it needs a calibration.
Otherwise please return it to your dealer to get it repaired here in our service.
Thanks

"something wrong with the Gimbal and it needs a calibration"

I wish they would just enable gimbal calibration through the Assistant. The gimbal options are sitting there in the NAZAM assistant which (I guess) is for the original phantom.

Hi Guys we have an update...... After getting an RMA from DJI I sent my bird to Germany on 28 May 2014. It came back today 18 June 2014. I am disputing having to pay the shipping costs for a faulty product, but that's another story. Anyway, got my bird back today and the gimbal was working as it should. there is no report from DJI to reveal what the issue or resolution was. Result..... not exactly.......!
This thread has come to an end as the issue in question has been resolved - however - check out my new thread NO LIGHT - NO FLIGHT...... yes folks, the saga continues. New video too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqKj490F7g.

Ok - forget my last post - embarrassingly this was due to me being without my bird for so long that I simply forgot how to start it up - no laughing and go easy on me. Thanks to all for the support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers