Gimbal Disconnected

Robert Farnow - sadly it sounds like we're experiencing the same problem. Buford - thank you for your input, it matches what my gut is telling me. I've never disassembled one of these before. Any guidance on the disassembly to replace the ribbon cable?
Again - thanks for your input.
Okay, so I took my p3a into Drones Plus in Santa Clara, CA today for a diagnosis. He said that my issue was not a mechanical issue after inspecting the ribbon cable. He had a spare camera that he sold me for $350 that was from a model which they had parted out due to lack of supply from DJI. I've listed the camera on craigslist for $100.00 so if anyone would like to buy my non functioning camera it is for sale! It was disappointing to discover this was the case but the gimbal had been sticking occasionally when operating the tilt wheel so I figured I could wait, grounded for resolution or just drop some cash and get flying again. I wish I could've figured out what the problem was, let me know if you figure it out because I'd love to fix mine and make some money back!

Reactions: rene van der meer
Just had this happen on a P3P W323A on 1.7.0060.
Status in DJI Go shows "Gimbal Disconnected", the camera can be tilted via the dial on the controller for a few seconds on boot-up and then goes limp. I can fly it old school without FPV and RTH appears will function although I didn't want to actually test it. When attempting to power down the drone the battery LEDs will sequence down like normal but then will not power off, the red led on the button remains lit and the P3 remains powered on.

SOLUTION:
I removed the sd card and powered up... all normal.
Reinserted sd card.. Gimbal Disconnected.
OK

Tried a format with sector scan and bad sector fix, reinserted card and powered up.
Powered up normal however it says a reformat is recommended but does not provide the option to do so.
I'll replace the SD and hopefully can call those one resolved (under these circumstances at least).

Follow Up:
I forgot that the "Format SD" option is actually under the "Menu" camera control settings on the right side of DJI Go. Formatted and all is back to normal. I'm thinking this may have been the result of deleting files in OS-X since it does that deal where unless you empty the trash can the files are not actually removed and that's what I did immediately preceding the problem.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for this post. After removing the SD card, putting in a different one, and formating that, the P4 gimbal disconnected issue is resolved. I then reformated the origional card and all is forgiven. I too deleted files on the card Windows. This cause the issue. Formatting in the P4 fixed it.

Reactions: calvin_jan
congrats on getting it going without involving dji service. That always a win in my book.

Just posting to say I found this thread and it helped diagnose the fact I had an issue with the ribbon cable (pic at
Instagram photo by Flybyfoto • May 5, 2016 at 1:36am UTC) …ordering spares and will confirm when the issue is fixed for me... I have the same issue of 15 seconds of an operable gimbal before it goes dead, dji go app screen is black, and "gimbal disconnected" message

Just had this happen on a P3P W323A on 1.7.0060.
Status in DJI Go shows "Gimbal Disconnected", the camera can be tilted via the dial on the controller for a few seconds on boot-up and then goes limp. I can fly it old school without FPV and RTH appears will function although I didn't want to actually test it. When attempting to power down the drone the battery LEDs will sequence down like normal but then will not power off, the red led on the button remains lit and the P3 remains powered on.

SOLUTION:
I removed the sd card and powered up... all normal.
Reinserted sd card.. Gimbal Disconnected.
OK

Tried a format with sector scan and bad sector fix, reinserted card and powered up.
Powered up normal however it says a reformat is recommended but does not provide the option to do so.
I'll replace the SD and hopefully can call those one resolved (under these circumstances at least).

Follow Up:
I forgot that the "Format SD" option is actually under the "Menu" camera control settings on the right side of DJI Go. Formatted and all is back to normal. I'm thinking this may have been the result of deleting files in OS-X since it does that deal where unless you empty the trash can the files are not actually removed and that's what I did immediately preceding the problem.

I have the same problem, I tried to format the sd card under the camera menu, but the message come up there is no sd card installed , any help greatly appreciated.

Same problem here.Read this post and tried all possible solutions...Removing SD card solved my problem (WTF sd card has to do with gimbal disconnected? !$%^!@%! )

thanks

As I read through this post I found that the ribbon cable on my p3a looked like it was splitting like in the picture above but after I pulled the SD card out the gimbal started working again no problem!

hey there its seem that many people have this issue ( gimbal disconnected ) and the camera fall to sleep with no image stream in the app, i tried IMU calibration and gimbal calibration with no success . sometime camera work for second then again fall to sleep . all this happen after the upgrading to (P3X_FW_V01.06.0040) firmware the controller dose not except the upgrade i tried with different sd and craft to controller connect doesn't work . the craft work fine and i fly it several time with no problem at all . i wish to find a solution for that i am so desperate .
Hi! I have the same problem. I was afraid because it can be a gimbal logic board problem.

I’m having the same issue with my gimbal. I recently did a large overhaul on a crashed P3A that a friend gave me. I replaced the main ESC board, OFDM receiver module board, top and bottom shell and I also disassembled the entire gimbal to replace the ribbon cable which had been torn in have. App says gimbal disconnected and I’m also getting a compass and IMU error. My ribbon cable is slightly separated in one are. It’s a brand new cable and I was VERY careful when installing. I’ve checked all cable as well. Any help would be appropriated.
0111C4A5-955F-4B60-816A-CEABE3815ECA.png
7859EE15-76B2-4930-A6D5-5B9CB9796BAD.png

I’m having the same issue with my gimbal. I recently did a large overhaul on a crashed P3A that a friend gave me. I replaced the main ESC board, OFDM receiver module board, top and bottom shell and I also disassembled the entire gimbal to replace the ribbon cable which had been torn in have. App says gimbal disconnected and I’m also
Judging from your picture, you need a gimbal cable to begin with. Ribbon separation is a serious problem, and many on here have had it happen. I have 2 extras on standby for something like this. Replace your ribbon, and test it. I'd bet your problem goes away. The ribbon is the only part that is constantly moving without bearings or some kind of shock absorber, its just a ribbon with tiny wires embedded in it, that can break, or like yours did, lose the protection of the vinyl cable itself, then that's all she wrote. I feel confident this is your problem. Good luck.

When you refer to ribbon cable separation do you mean when the top and bottom of the flat cable separate at bit? I just installed a new ribbon cable on my P3A and it separated a bit near a connection point. I haven’t even flown it and I’m getting a gimbal disconnected error..

Yes. I replaced with a DJI original cable. When I Power on the P3A, the gimbal moves around and then turns all the way to one side and twitches a bit. I’ve ensured that all the components are lined up properly but still getting the “gimbal disconnected” error. I’ve checked all connections multiple times.

Try doing a firmware upgrade or refresh if not the main camera board is no good it fails alot. Which is the big one not the small one where the actual camera is

Try doing a firmware upgrade or refresh if not the main camera board is no good it fails alot. Which is the big one not the small one where the actual camera is

I tried upgrading the firmware unsuccessfully. After some research I found that It's not possible to do a firmware update when the gimbal is "disconnected". The main ESC board is brand new. I just replaced it with a genuine part.
The ribbon cable was very difficult to install as it was my first time. The cable itself separated in a few spots during installation. This may be the issue. I honestly think the gimbal just took too hard of a hit. The crash literally broke the protective glass that covers the lens, bent the gimbal slightly in one area and ripped the original ribbon cable in two spots. I have a lot of time and a fair amount of money into this repair. Hoping a new gimbal will get me sorted.

U might wanna check the ribbon cable again for maybe hair line rips any small rip will ruin it.

U might wanna check the ribbon cable again for maybe hair line rips any small rip will ruin it.

I took the entire thing apart again last weekend and inspected the cable as well as all the connections. Everything looked good other than the cable separation. It seemed like the separated area grew bigger the more I messed with it. Do you know if this will impact the integrity of the cable?
Ribbon.jpg

Numerous times the problem that you described is caused when the pitch motor shaft was installed into the camera 180° off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj