Gimbal Calibration Software

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I reassembled two gimbal/camera pieces for the P2Vp. One actually works great, the other one still does the breakdancing. I did the same process for both but now have two different results. I do get all the tele data and video feed, so that tells me the IMU is fine and the wifi transmission works. On the phone it says to remove gimbal clamp (though clamp is clearly off) as it breakdances.

On the breakdancer I realigned the roll/pitch monitors, checked all ribbon connections (same result with two different ribbon cables), did Advanced IMU on the desktop application. Recalibrated the compass on the quad. Still not able to resolve the problem.

I wondered if anyone else tried a different software package to help with calibrating the IMU? I saw on the DJI forums one of their customer reps said repair of gimbals involved advanced software calibration for IMU, not sure what they mean. Any thoughts on what to do?

I would like to know too. I replace the ribbon on mine. Same erratic dancing issue. Been over the entire unit inside and out and everything looks fine. I am about to send it to DJI - at which point I wont see it for a couple months. Still rather fix on my own.

Would DJI do such repairs? I do not mind sending the assembly to them if the fee is reasonable. I just don't want to have to send my quad as well, especially since I do have a working gimbal/camera on it...

They better. Others have sent in for gimbal repairs and got them back with no charge.

Let face it, there is a big design flaw here. It clearly has affected hundreds of users. Not all, but many. Its just too fragile of a design!

I don't think any of the major players are actually repairing the DJI Vision Plus gimbal. They just replace it, it seems.

Unity, I was reading your other thread and found you here. There are many ideas here,, keep searching. good luck

But, I am gaining some experience and have managed to stop a jumping gimbal, but to be honest I am not sure what made the difference and if it will last or not. I think it was just a fine tuning to make sure the gimbal hangs correctly so when it trys to correct itself everything is good. Humm, I wish I could express myself better, and there are guys here who do have a grip on explaining things, but I think the jumping is the gimbal trying to find center, or the correct starting position.. it is unable to find this position and struggles and that is the jumping. I want to see if I can create the problem in software...

Here are some of my gimbals being worked on.

Attachments

• 20141019_083332.jpeg
    20141019_083332.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 519
I would do it all again. You are so close to fixing it. Just remember it is easy to do damage so proceed slowly. Document all that you have done, and all as you do it. You will become a "go to" guy as your experience builds.

There are "fishermen" out there who can fix these things all day long. But they don't want to share the secret fishing holes. I understand the thinking, but for guys like you buddha.... you have the abilities, don't sell yourself short.... Please share your results. thanks,
Craig

buddhacanooda said:
Hey all,
So I reassembled two gimbal/camera pieces for the P2Vp. One actually works great, the other one still does the breakdancing. I did the same process for both but now have two different results. I do get all the tele data and video feed, so that tells me the IMU is fine and the wifi transmission works. On the phone it says to remove gimbal clamp (though clamp is clearly off) as it breakdances.

On the breakdancer I realigned the roll/pitch monitors, checked all ribbon connections (same result with two different ribbon cables), did Advanced IMU on the desktop application. Recalibrated the compass on the quad. Still not able to resolve the problem.

I wondered if anyone else tried a different software package to help with calibrating the IMU? I saw on the DJI forums one of their customer reps said repair of gimbals involved advanced software calibration for IMU, not sure what they mean. Any thoughts on what to do?

Wedeliver,
I would be happy to post pictures of the item in pieces if that will help someone else out. Unfortunately I have taken too many hours to get to the point I am currently at. Definitely have put more time in repairs and learning the device than actual flying! I just hate putting in so much time and failing but that is life. Grrrr....

BC

buddhacanooda said:
Wedeliver,
I would be happy to post pictures of the item in pieces if that will help someone else out. Unfortunately I have taken too many hours to get to the point I am currently at. Definitely have put more time in repairs and learning the device than actual flying! I just hate putting in so much time and failing but that is life. Grrrr....

BC

Hi, As I said in a PM, make sure that DJI will not help you with a warranty claim. If they are unable to help, then you can send it to me and I will do what I can. I will not charge you for any labor, as if I get it fixed that would be payment, but if I need to replace any motors or circuit boards those will have a cost.

Let me know what you want to do. My address and info, phone etc are all on my website below and just hollar and I will send them to ya.
Craig

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl