Gimbal and camera for Phantom 1 or get a Mavic?

Reaction score
Hi all.

I recently got a Phantom 1 without a camera from a friend and have flown it a couple of times. I'm interested in adding a camera and gimbal, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what is compatible. What I'd like to be able to do is fly a Gopro on a gimbal and be able to view the video and at least control the tilt of the camera while flying. Is this all possible with this drone? Any recommendations for gimbals and other upgrades I should use? Am I better off just getting a Mavic, once I spend the money for these upgrades?

Thanks,

- Bruce

With the low flight time you already have with the Phantom 1 adding a gimbal and camera will reduce this further, look into the Phantom 2 (V1) with H3-3D gimbal and add your own GoPro. :)

Heres my Phantom 1 with a GLB V3 gimbal using my GoPro, flight times were around 5 mins ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was using video from a video transmitter to my goggles, angling the cam down was guesswork as i was watching vid from FPV cam, on my P2 i receive vid with telemetry transmitted from the GoPro vid to my goggles over 5.8ghz.

Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal and GoPro ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Flight times around 15mins ... i dont think a Mavic would last very long doing this kind of flying ;)
The Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+/P3/P4 kinda rely on an app working to see the video on your mobile phone or tablet device so pros and cons there to think about, the P2 (V1) is not app dependent but can not run apps like Litchi etc, you would add a video transmitter and receive the video on a monitor or goggles.

Last edited:
With a gimbal and gopro-like camera you'll struggle to get 5 minutes on the P1 and the extra weight will make it really sluggish as the motors are much less powerful than later models.
I'd look at P3 coming up little used as others trade in for Mavics.
In 6 months time something new will come along better and cheaper than Mavic.

I think you guys are giving some inaccurate information. I have 3 P1s and with a Walkera 2d gimbal with Gopro 3 White and a good stock battery I can get an easy ten minutes or more. With a Walkera G3D metal gimbal and a Multistar 4000ma battery I can still get 9 minutes or more with 9450 props. .They fly just fine and are not at all sluggish.

Im sure gimbals have progressed since my test with them, i just didnt like having to fly back all the time to change batteries, your flight times will also vary with climate.

Thanks for all the replies! Am I correct that there would be no way to monitor the video I'd be shooting on the GoPro with the P1? I understand that I could get a dedicated FPV camera, but I'm specifically interested in being able to monitor the GoPro video. Also, would I need a different remote transmitter to be able to control camera tilt? I just have the stock transmitter that came with the P1.

Thanks again!

Yes you can use the GoPro to a video transmitter using 5.8ghz to your goggles or monitor with a P1, the video transmitter plugs into the GoPro USB socket and you will see the GoPro view, there is a mod you can do to your controller to move the gimbal also, easiest one just plugs into the rear or the controller, a tilt lever.

Okay, so is this everything I would need if I stick with the P1?

GoPro
Gimbal like Zenmuse or Walkera
5.8Ghz video transmitter
5.8Ghz video receiver
Monitor or goggles
Controller mod kit to add tilt.

Anything else?

Any specific recommendations would be appreciated, but I can just do some googling and ask specifics, too.

Thanks!

That is correct Bruce, im not sure if Zenmuse make one for the P1 but worth looking into, the GoodLuckBuy one i used was nice, just too heavy but probably much better around now.
Get a monitor (or goggles) with the inbuilt 5.8 receiver, my Fat Shark Attitudes have it inbuilt so i just add an antenna and im in business, be sure the monitor or goggles are on the same channels as the video transmitter. A good supply of batteries, unsure which would be best so ill let others comment on those.

YouTube is a good place for homework needed on the tilt mod and also video transmitters etc.
Fat Shark do a 250Mw vtx or you could add a 600Mw vtx, depends how far you want to fly, if i remember correctly the 250Mw one got my P1 about half a mile out over open water before i lost video, the 600Mw goes past a mile easily - even further if i use a directional antenna on my goggles. :)

Your welcome :)

Last edited:
Which Phantom 1 do you have? The earlier models did not have the potentiometer on the transmitter board to allow adding the tilt function. If I remember correctly, this was first available with the Phantom 1.1.1 but I could be wrong.

It's a 1.1.1. Also, I just realized there's a small white lever on the back of the transmitter. Is that a tilt lever already installed, or does that do something else?

Its probably the tilt lever, you should hook your Phantom up to the DJI Assistant, it should already be enabled to move the cam, if not try enabling it in the assistant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic