Getting a Phantom 4 pro with built in screen any users have time using one?

Reaction score
Whats your experience compared to the iphone 8plus etc.. in terms of brightness and clarity? It is a pain to deal with having to attach the phone to the unit etc.. worried about it slipping and having to mess around with it just to get it snug. It sounds better to just grab the controller and go without messing around with cables etc.

Can I download maps to it? how do the maps work on this unit, how is the screen brightness. Is the interface/updates for it provided by DJI.

They seem to be going for the price of the Phantom 4 pro when it first came out.

Be aware the OSD overlays take up much of the small 5.5" screen. There are no options to upgrade to a larger display later.

Last edited:
The largest issue here is that p4p is currently on end-of-life and the controller will most likely be useless on next generation. It would therefore be a longer term investment to go for a regular p4p and a crystal sky if you must have the brightness.

Wow the P4P is end of life Whats replacing that model I thought it was the current edition? I guess it makes sense not to be stuck with an EOL controller with a screen that cannot be changed.

I bought the Phantom 4s because they were selling cheap since they are end of life but I am surprised to hear the P4P is end of life as well.

Wow the P4P is end of life Whats replacing that model I thought it was the current edition? I guess it makes sense not to be stuck with an EOL controller with a screen that cannot be changed.

I bought the Phantom 4s because they were selling cheap since they are end of life but I am surprised to hear the P4P is end of life as well.
P4 lasted only about a half year while p4p now has currently 15 months and is expected to be replaced in the foreseeable future (before or after summer). Therefore I would personally not go for the integrated screen rather a crystal sky.

Last edited:
Thing is if you're not into "I gotta get the most current" whatever, the P4P+ will do quite nicely. A recent update now allows you to install some third party apps and the screen brightness is perfect with out a sunscreen. When the P5 comes out you'll find all kind of lower prices from sites wanting to dump their P4P+ stocks.

Reactions: RW8888
Thing is if you're not into "I gotta get the most current" whatever, the P4P+ will do quite nicely. A recent update now allows you to install some third party apps and the screen brightness is perfect with out a sunscreen. When the P5 comes out you'll find all kind of lower prices from sites wanting to dump their P4P+ stocks.

I will probably wait. I have plenty of time to learn more on my Phantom 4. 15 months is a long time, I home they do not discontinue the Phantom like as someone mention a while back. When the P5 comes out if I can get the P4Ps at even better discounts thats what I will do.

I will probably wait. I have plenty of time to learn more on my Phantom 4. 15 months is a long time, I home they do not discontinue the Phantom like as someone mention a while back. When the P5 comes out if I can get the P4Ps at even better discounts thats what I will do.
Mavic 2 pro should be out next month with rumors saying the same iq as p4p. That should be a great package for travel and buying now I would give it serious consideration.

I have the P4P+ and one of the primary reasons I went with it was for the built in display. I live on my sailboat and space is at a premium. My phone can't cut it for the brightness and while I have an iPad, it's the 12.9" iPad Pro and it's used pretty much exclusively as an auxiliary navigation display on the boat. I didn't want to have to get another iPad (or whatever) for a display device to use with the drone if I didn't absolutely have to.

Plus, I'm not the 'gotta have the most current thing' type of person either, which is why I have an old phone! I'm happy with the P4P+ as it is. Provided DJI continues support for it after it's pushed into obsolescence, (replacement props, batteries, motors, etc.), then I'll be good for a while.

Last edited:
I have the P4P+ and one of the primary reasons I went with it was for the built in display. I live on my sailboat and space is at a premium. My phone can't cut it for the brightness and while I have an iPad, it's the 12.9" iPad Pro and it's used pretty much exclusively as an auxiliary navigation display on the boat. I didn't want to have to get another iPad (or whatever) for a display device to use with the drone if I didn't absolutely have to.

Plus, I'm not the 'gotta have the most current thing' type of person either, which is why I have on old phone! I'm happy with the P4P+ as it is. Provided DJI continues support for it after it's pushed into obsolescence, (replacement props, batteries, motors, etc.), then I'll be good for a while.
I think you have a excellent use case for the p4p+. Also, i would not trust any of the smaller drones on the open sea due to the winds. Do you have any videos to share?

Why is everybody talking about "p4p is currently on end-of-life" here lol. Honestly this is still a beast with that 1" sensor camera is still a thing.

To answer the question, getting a crystal sky monitor is a good investment instead of buying any smartphones that is available in the market.

One consideration is the speed you can deploy and not having to worry about another device’s battery level.

I’ve found working with drones professionally the built in screen is a major bonus for getting up and running quickly and not having to worry about a phone battery dying or some notification popping up when a client is looking over your shoulder...

I think you have a excellent use case for the p4p+. Also, i would not trust any of the smaller drones on the open sea due to the winds. Do you have any videos to share?

No, no videos yet. The boat is currently laid up for repair following Hurricane Irma and we've moved off and into a temporary apartment. We were in the Florida Keys (Marathon, FL) when the hurricane came through and the boat was tossed into a pile of 5 other boats in the mangroves when the mooring cable failed. We have been talking about getting a drone to document our sailing trips and I decided to make use of time ashore (another 6 months or so) to get the drone and fly it.

I just tested the camera for stills and video last week. Nothing to my mind which so presentable so far, but at least I know it works!

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
I ended up ordering the Phantom 4 pro white with std controller. for 1243 USD I can just buy a dedicated ipad mini etc.. now I have 3 drones :) 2 phantom 4s and one pro.

One banged up a little, Flying these things are addictive. Everyday I am flying it.

I ended up ordering the Phantom 4 pro white with std controller. for 1243 USD I can just buy a dedicated ipad mini etc.. now I have 3 drones :) 2 phantom 4s and one pro.

One banged up a little, Flying these things are addictive. Everyday I am flying it.

Perfect! ipad mini will work though if you're not into commercial type of thing no need to buy crystalsky then.

Congrats mate! :D

My problem with the plus is that you are limited to proprietary DJI software. I mostly fly Litchi waypoint missions, and I think it would be really neato if DJI would correct that problem.

My problem with the plus is that you are limited to proprietary DJI software. I mostly fly Litchi waypoint missions, and I think it would be really neato if DJI would correct that problem.
I think they fixed that recently. It supports up to 20 apps now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they fixed that recently. It supports up to 20 apps now. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Great then. My iPad mini 4 is usable in bright light, but I wouldn’t try to fly in bright sunlight if I’m around limbs or other objects not easily seen.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr