Getting a little braver - 3000 ft

Reaction score
Took #1 P3S out to 3000 ft. this evening. Up until now, I have both set at the standard 1500' limit. I am not sure just how far I could have gone. I was flying on nice flat ground and had a good LOS. I took it out against the wind so it would come back easier.

My #1 is a bit more finicky than the #2. It loses the green bar FLIGHT GPS or whatever that is very quickly and at any distance, near or far. The only difficulty that causes is that it will drift. #2 isn't at all like that. I also find it nearly impossible to calibrate the compass on #1. In fact, I don't even try any more. When I start the RC and the drone up, I usually have to restart both and it will then pay attention. Go figure.

After I get more comfortable with the distance thing, I have an el cheapo "Golden" extender to put on the antenna to see if that makes any difference. I also have one I made up from a youtube how-to video.

There is something fascinating and relaxing about flying these dumb things. I am glad I got into it. Took some nice pics and a bit of video tonight. Neat to come home and look at what the camera has recorded.

You have two p3s's? What's the story there?

It's very relaxing and they're not dumb things ur the operator u control the flight if it was dumb would u have purchased it stay blessed and appreciate your serenity flying ur machine

You have two p3s's? What's the story there?
Well, I bought one and had a minor crash before I even got to fly it. Thinking I would have to send it away for repair, as it didn't seem to want to work right, or so I thought, I whistled into Regina and bought another one! Turned out that #1 works ok, albeit a little touchy and won't seem to allow calibrating the compass very easily. I am not sure if the little pileup and anything to do with the compass business, but it flys just fine. #2 is a nice, well behaved drone.;)

So - now I have two! I have been a gun collector for many years, so the logic presented no problem to my line of thinking.:cool: I fly them both, one at a time of course. :) Fortunately, I live where there are no planes buzzing around, and I can see for a great distance.

Reactions: SunnyD
It's very relaxing and they're not dumb things ur the operator u control the flight if it was dumb would u have purchased it stay blessed and appreciate your serenity flying ur machine
Hello. By dumb I mean that they only work when I turn them on. Not slagging the drones one bit. It gives me a great thrill to be able to roam over the territory and see it in a way never before experienced, by me anyway.

Reactions: Indiana_pyro
Well, I bought one and had a minor crash before I even got to fly it. Thinking I would have to send it away for repair, as it didn't seem to want to work right, or so I thought, I whistled into Regina and bought another one! Turned out that #1 works ok, albeit a little touchy and won't seem to allow calibrating the compass very easily. I am not sure if the little pileup and anything to do with the compass business, but it flys just fine. #2 is a nice, well behaved drone.;)

So - now I have two! I have been a gun collector for many years, so the logic presented no problem to my line of thinking.:cool: I fly them both, one at a time of course. :) Fortunately, I live where there are no planes buzzing around, and I can see for a great distance.

Lol, I have 2 as well, nothing wrong with having a backup;) I figure once they are out of warranty at least I'll have a complete set of parts for repair/rebuild. I'm also a gun owner, go figure! :D

^^There you go! Took #2 out tonight and came across an old friend who was out checking his crops. I flew two batteries worth, showing him how they work and how nice the fields can be seen from up above. He was tickled with the demo I gave him. We made a pledge for me to go to his yard this Fall and try to get some nice pics.

Nice! Rural areas sure make for some nice flying don't they?
DJI_0002.JPG

^^ Yes, I need only drive two minutes and I am out in wide open country.

Edit: and that's what I am going to do in about 5 minutes! :)

Last edited:
Look southeast a x.jpg
Look north a x.jpg
Taken at the binsite belonging to the people I work for Spring and Fall. The one with the bins is looking southeast. The other one is looking north.

Last edited:
Reactions: skeptic49
Nice shots! That really is wide open country:)

Here's a 'golden hour' shot from my backyard. Been playing with auto missions in the Litchi app, pretty neat!
vlcsnap-2017-07-23-22h27m15s692.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldsaum82
Here's one from this evening. It's a field of winter wheat that we will be combining soon. 1/4 section, somewhat less seeded though.
St wheat a x 1.jpg

Reactions: gbmarsh64

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan