Geofencing - sneaking under the wire

As long as there is an opt out capability, the new system will be less restrictive than the old one. I am still waiting on details of the opt out capability.

It's like going to buy a Corvette because you want a sports car, then 6 mths later GM puts a limitation on your car on top speed, acceleration, and handling because some dummy was in a high speed chase that you had nothing to do with. Then other owners justify it by saying, "well, none of us needed to go that fast anyway"

I'm sitting here like, "Really?"

All German cars are limited electronically to 155MPH by mutual agreement amongst the manufacturers. It can be removed if you have a racing license.

It's like going to buy a Corvette because you want a sports car, then 6 mths later GM puts a limitation on your car on top speed, acceleration, and handling because some dummy was in a high speed chase that you had nothing to do with. Then other owners justify it by saying, "well, none of us needed to go that fast anyway"

They already put limiters on most car chips because of that very reason. My car can easily hit 180+ but the chip stops the engine revs when I hit 120. Don't care to remove it because..."well, none of us need to go that fast anyway".

My Corvette is limited by GM because of government mandates, so yeah, thats how it works in the real world.

Reactions: ViperNuke
Im pretty sure alot of people will be happy about this.. You can pretty much fly anywhere now, as long as you unlock the restricted zone via the app... Not sure how i feel about people now being able to fly as close as one meter from an airport runway... This is going to get very dangerously intresting!!!!

My Corvette is limited by GM because of government mandates, so yeah, thats how it works in the real world.
You purchased a Verte KNOWING it had a set limit. Not 1 added after the fact that you purchased it.
....and as a side note, this is also why $millions are made from after market high performance parts.

You purchased a Verte KNOWING it had a set limit. Not 1 added after the fact that you purchased it.
....and as a side note, this is also why $millions are made from after market high performance parts.
You will argue over anything so it seems. Sell your Phantom & buy a... oh wait, most major makers are putting in limitations. Well, you could always build your own like I did. ;)

I guess this isn't available for a Phantom 3 Standard. I really want to try this before the return time period is up. Yeah, I love it. It's cool, but if I can't fly it, I want to get rid of it.

I have always taken precautions to avoid other people like the plague, but one of the fields at the local fly club is within 3 miles of a small airport, the other may be within 4 miles.

The other places I fly, are just fields that could be cut out.

This is already becoming a problem. You are getting to were you can't fly these anywhere. There should be precautions, but what we are seeing is actually more luditism( the fear of technologies) vs actual common sense measures.

Reactions: wattage
You will argue over anything so it seems. Sell your Phantom & buy a... oh wait, most major makers are putting in limitations. Well, you could always build your own like I did. ;)
No, only argue over 1 thing. I know you HATE that I have stayed my ground on how I feel. I do not need DJI changing the rules after I purchase it ( hence not upgrading firmware) and the fact that registration with FAA does NOTHING for safety.

PS. You mean like I did to make my 8000 lb daily driver Duramax truck 800hp at the rear wheels and 11.80 in a quarter? Yep or just wait for someone to hack or rewrite the DJI software.

No, only argue over 1 thing. I know you HATE that I have stayed my ground on how I feel. I do not need DJI changing the rules after I purchase it ( hence not upgrading firmware) and the fact that registration with FAA does NOTHING for safety.

PS. You mean like I did to make my 8000 lb daily driver Duramax truck 800hp at the rear wheels and 11.80 in a quarter? Yep or just wait for someone to hack or rewrite the DJI software.
Doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me are people who can't let it go and continue to argue for the sake of arguing. You want to make it better for all? Funnel your angst into letters & phone calls to your congressional representative and possibly make a real change.

Now thats a truck that can really haul! Something tells me you don't do to many 11.80 second 1/4 mile runs on public roads... right? ;)
PS- were you driving when Carter lowered the speed limit to 55mph?

We've had similar issues in the UK, people adapt and overcome, move to the next field. DJI aren't geofencing for shits and giggles, they're doing it to make it safer for everyone. Yes the majority of the people who own a phantom are likely to fly with precaution and to the guidelines but like most things in life the manufacturer has to cater for the idiots out there who will happily ruin it for the rest of us.

If its not already been linked this should help I guess? No Fly Zones | DJI

We've had similar issues in the UK, people adapt and overcome, move to the next field. DJI aren't geofencing for shits and giggles, they're doing it to make it safer for everyone. Yes the majority of the people who own a phantom are likely to fly with precaution and to the guidelines but like most things in life the manufacturer has to cater for the idiots out there who will happily ruin it for the rest of us.

If its not already been linked this should help I guess? No Fly Zones | DJI
Thanks!

Now thats a truck that can really haul! Something tells me you don't do to many 11.80 second 1/4 mile runs on public roads... right? ;)
PS- were you driving when Carter lowered the speed limit to 55mph?
Yes, funny how many states have (including my liberal state) up to 65 and even as high as 75.
This is a good example where one size does not fit all restrictions. I can drive my truck legally on the street, and take it to the track on Friday nights and race it wide open legally.

Yes, funny how many states have (including my liberal state) up to 65 and even as high as 75.
This is a good example where one size does not fit all restrictions. I can drive my truck legally on the street, and take it to the track on Friday nights and race it wide open legally.

Ahhh... you see... responsible. "take it to the track to race it" Restrictive laws aren't written for responsible people.
They're written to protect responsible people from idiots without a lick of common sense. Those that suffer most
are the responsible people, because they suffer with restrictions they don't need. It's vicious and relentless.

"We need to start taking some warning labels off some stuff... start thinning the herd." -- Chris Porter

Reactions: rowdyjim
Ahhh... you see... responsible. "take it to the track to race it" Restrictive laws aren't written for responsible people.
They're written to protect responsible people from idiots without a lick of common sense. Those that suffer most
are the responsible people, because they suffer with restrictions they don't need. It's vicious and relentless.

"We need to start taking some warning labels off some stuff... start thinning the herd." -- Chris Porter
skull.jpg

Reactions: MrMcfly
Just looked at the opt-out system. Much as I love conspiracies (and quietly agree with aka1ceman on most things) it's going to be hard to argue that DJI are restricting users any more. I wonder how long it'll last or whether reports of self-authorisation get sent on anywhere (the FAA?)
Now THERE'S a new conspiracy to think about.

Two things to stop all the restriction, raise the minimum age to fly an RC to 50 years old and increase the purchase price of a Phantom 3 to $20,000, this won't happen I'm sure so as more and more "Numb's" enter RC expect more and more rules and restriction........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers