FYI Firmware 1.1.8 Upgrade How to 4 Newbies

Reaction score
You have updated your firmware with the first release 1.1.6 now 1.1.8 has come out.
You left the copy of 1.1.6 on your sd card right?
Now is the time to remove it and then copy the 1.1.8 bin file over.

Follow the install instructions with the new firmware.
Check your Sd card for your result text file and see if it went okay.

Leaving the 1.1.6 on your card will prevent updating.
You can store 1.1.6 in a folder if you like or your computer would be better.

Updating your TX

Aircraft to TX Easy!
Make sure your card is back in the aircraft w/power off.
Connect the cable to the Aircraft from the TX
Turn on your Tx.
Turn on your Aircraft.
The Updated will begin.

Turning off the TX (AFTER IT'S UPDATED) for me anyways takes a few times to make it shut down.

Check you Sd Result Text file

You really don't need the Bin file left on your sd card, I remove it but it's up to you.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
Okay, so my P3P did not want to be updated this way.

I finally figured I'd just start fresh with a new sd card. Loaded the update, started the bird, and it worked in 5 minutes.

Plugged the sd card into the tx, and no joy. Failed twice to update.

Put the sd card back into the camera, plugged the tx into the camera gimbal, started the bird, then the tx. updated. Yay:cool:

The 1.1.8 update worked fine in my bird, P3pro but it bricked my controller. I'm having to RMA it back to UAV Direct. They are exchanging the package (bird, controller, charger, battery, etc..) for a new one.

Last edited:
Newbie planning ahead: I purchased a multi-card reader for accessing the micro SD card ($12 from OfficeMax).

Newbie mistake: I unzipped the firmware update and copied the "Phantom_Firmware_v1.1.8" folder onto the micro SD card, put it into the slot on the gimbal and waited...finally contacted DJI online chat support and realized I needed to put the *.bin file in the root folder instead of copying the whole folder onto the micro SD card.

Newbie insight 1: One thing I did learn during online chat was I could access the files on the SD card by connecting the micro USB on the Phantom gimbal using the supplied micro-USB to USB cable and connecting to my computer. Guess I didn't really have to have the multi-card reader to copy files onto the micro SD card.

Newbie insight 2:When trying to update the firmware on the transmitter, I couldn't get the update to initiate using the multi-card reader so copied the *bin file to a USB thumb drive and it worked fine.

I ust want to confirm with some one thats done the up date about the beeping.

When updating is it supposed to keep constantly making the D-D-D-D beeping sound the whole entire time that its doing its thing????

Yes it makes the D-D-D-D sound and then when it's completed it is a DU-D-D. At that point it is finished and you can power down.

Reactions: Doug5984
I ust want to confirm with some one thats done the up date about the beeping.

When updating is it supposed to keep constantly making the D-D-D-D beeping sound the whole entire time that its doing its thing????
yes

Ok after about 40 mins of the beeping I figured it either had to be done or failed. So I should it down and checked the SD card and had the update success in the text file.

Ok after about 40 mins of the beeping I figured it either had to be done or failed. So I should it down and checked the SD card and had the update success in the text file.

Yeah mine didn't take long at all, I think the instructions said maybe 25 minutes- but mine was closer to 10?

Being i didn't know if the beeping was supposed to stop when it was done I left it going for a long time. So it was probably done at lot sooner then when I decided it had to be done. The sound did seem to change to a different beep. But I had to stay away and out of the room while it was updating because my Lyme disease makes it so that certain repetitive sounds really drive me up a wall.

Hmmm....I replaced my sd card with a 32 gigabyte card before my first flight. It flew fine but as my other thread revealed, I started having issues immediately after about 10 minutes. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether there was information on the SD card that I need in order for my flights to be made possible. Can someone advise?

Connect the cable to the Aircraft from the TX

What cable? There is no cable to connect between the drone and TX. What am I missing here?

I put the firmware on the micro SD and put it in the drone to update. When that was done I added the firmware to a USB drive and insured it in the TX. I had to make sure the drone was on also for the update to work. Another thing about formatting the USB drive for the TX is that it has to be in FAT32 if you own a Mac.

The USB cable the bird comes with... Plug that into the camera the other end to your TX. You have a cable port on the Bird you know that right?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31