Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG for Phantom 2?

BrandonBallard said:
I ordered the Heli version, the only difference is the Heli version doesn't have a ratcheting throttle.

First to all, Phantom is not a helicopter is a quadropter. Look like a helicopter in some way but is not.

Now ... how I know are not more versions of same Futuba model (one for airplanes and one for helicopters). You can switch from menu what kind of machine want to use. Can use same Tx for a heli and a plane. Just save your settings in Tx memory and switch how you want.

About question what mode to choice to setup my TX .... choice plane :)

Whatch this video for details : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ8lkBwu_AY. Answer is after min 6:27.

BrandonBallard said:
Ginsonic, do you think the Phantom 2 RX will have the same interference security as the Futaba RX? I have the R6208SB coming with my transmitter and I hear a few people had problems with those on the Phantom 1. I would love the simplicity of just binding the new radio to the stock Rx.

I'm not sure that stock Rx binded to a Futuba will check the Tx code key to be sure that is his linked Tx. Futuba 14SG (is model from my set-up) cost ~3/4 from Phantom2 price (and ~1.5 x P1 price :lol: ) so let me to have doubs :D . For this reason I intend to change Rx, too. I don't buy yet a P2 because I waiting CES (7 January 2014) to see if DJI will not release a 3-axes gimbal. In this case I will buy a non gimbal P2 and the new gimbal else of course I will get the gimbal model.

P.S. P1 allow to bind a Futuba too, but NOONE use that option. All Futuba users (at least the guys that posted movies on net) replaced Rx. In up linked movie they do the same.

i like the hell version of the radio better. they are the exact same radios but hell does not have the throttle ractht. the p2 rx is the same as futaba. it uses the same fast technology as the futaba rx. i do not see a reason to change it out. i have a pretty good size fleet of quads, helix and planes. all on futaba mostly because i have been using futaba for about 27 years and sbus for my bigger rc projects. the p2 can fly just as far and i have not gotten any interference problems at all. i fly in the mountains and i also fly in big city areas (if you consider San Francisco a big city) 2.4 is great for long range and penetration. the lower the frequency the further and better penetration you will get, but you lose video quality. most of the people i fly with have not changed out the rx but they only fly the phantom for fun to mess around. all have a big fleet of helix and planes. I'm not saying don't change it out if you want but i do not see any reason for it. the fly aways i don't think had anything to do with phantom rx. a lot of them happened on other quads using the naza.

hjscm said:
the p2 rx is the same as futaba. it uses the same fast technology as the futaba rx. i do not see a reason to change it out.

Stock Rx use FASST tehnology that mean the frequency is shifts hundreds of times per second, But will not use (how I know, maybe I wrong) EasyLink (that insure that your Rx will "talk" just with your Tx) or PreVision tehnology (scans incoming data and applies sophisticated error correction techniques ).

In my case I use Futuba 14SG FASSTest (latest tehnology) for optimal security ( I hope ;) ).

ginsonic said:
First to all, Phantom is not a helicopter is a quadropter. Look like a helicopter in some way but is not.

I was not insinuating the P2 was a helicopter, I was saying that I like the helicopter version of transmitters because I don't like a ratchet throttle on the airplane model.

ginsonic said:
Stock Rx use FASST tehnology that mean the frequency is shifts hundreds of times per second, But will not use (how I know, maybe I wrong) EasyLink (that insure that your Rx will "talk" just with your Tx) or PreVision tehnology (scans incoming data and applies sophisticated error correction techniques ).

http://www.futabarc.com/technology/fasst.html

What has me confused is that if you click the link above relating to Futaba FASST technology it seems to be implying that PreVision and the others (except Dual Antenna Diversity) are PART of FASST technology, which makes me wonder if the stock Rx DOES have all the security measures on the aftermarket Rx.

So confused... :?

mm yes, if the stock rx/tx is FAAST then you'd think interference is not causing fly-aways, and thus switching to futaba won't make the signal more secure.

But, my 8FG is on the way so… does anyone know of any videos/instructions for phantom hookup specific to the 8FG?

the P2 rx uses easy link. the only thing easy link does is allows the tx to bind without having to push a bind button on tx. when you push bind button on rx it searches for the tx. for 8fg all you have to do is turn on P2 turn on 8fg and press and hold bind button on P2. it links within a couple seconds. but you have to go into naza assistant and setup radio. just make sure your servos are going right way. might have to reverse throttle and another channel i think elevator not sure. and choose which switches for flight modes you want to use. i am thinking of changing out rx and maybe putting in one of my ezuhf rx in with 900 vtx to see how far i can get with this flight time. my disco only has about 12 minutes and i can get about 2.4 miles with a similar setup with 2.4 vtx.

FlyingHigh said:
mm yes, if the stock rx/tx is FAAST then you'd think interference is not causing fly-aways, and thus switching to futaba won't make the signal more secure.

But, my 8FG is on the way so… does anyone know of any videos/instructions for phantom hookup specific to the 8FG?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ8lkBwu_AY&feature=share&list=FLXlnaxNj_1zELqLN88ZzyjA&index=1[/youtube]

What Futaba receiver are you guys planning to use? I use a R6208SB on my F450, which came with my 8FG. I was planning to use the same one (R6208SB) - and in searching for one, it looks like they made a skinny version of it (see below)?

Any thoughts? While you can bind the Phantom RX to the Futaba TX, I'm thinking a more secure and safer way to do it is Futaba to Futaba.

$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW9BvBQdclqR40Q~~60_3.JPG

Wangta said:
What Futaba receiver are you guys planning to use?

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I was getting a 8FGHS, I have since chosen to order a 14SGH and return the 8FGHS, so I suppose I'm going to be using the R7008SB Rx. Because of the transmitter swap I'm also going to be installing the Futaba Rx so I can tinker with some telemetry stuff.

Will be interesting to compare the two radios though... :D

BrandonBallard said:
Wangta said:
What Futaba receiver are you guys planning to use?

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I was getting a 8FGHS, I have since chosen to order a 14SGH and return the 8FGHS, so I suppose I'm going to be using the R7008SB Rx. Because of the transmitter swap I'm also going to be installing the Futaba Rx so I can tinker with some telemetry stuff.

Will be interesting to compare the two radios though... :D

Do you need telemetry if you have an iOSD? What other benefits does it have?

I was also debating between the 8FGS and the 14SG - I didn't think I really needed the telemetry.

Wangta said:

I was also debating between the 8FGS and the 14SG - I didn't think I really needed the telemetry.

Even you don't need to use telemetry on Tx, 14SG still can record all flying history into a log on a SD card.

About 8FGS vz 14 SG .. 14SG is superior to 8FGS. Stronger signal, bigger range (3km +), FASSTest and not FASST tehnology ....

hjscm said:
the P2 rx uses easy link. the only thing easy link does is allows the tx to bind without having to push a bind button on tx. when you push bind button on rx it searches for the tx. for 8fg all you have to do is turn on P2 turn on 8fg and press and hold bind button on P2. it links within a couple seconds. but you have to go into naza assistant and setup radio. just make sure your servos are going right way. might have to reverse throttle and another channel i think elevator not sure. and choose which switches for flight modes you want to use. i am thinking of changing out rx and maybe putting in one of my ezuhf rx in with 900 vtx to see how far i can get with this flight time. my disco only has about 12 minutes and i can get about 2.4 miles with a similar setup with 2.4 vtx.

Description of EasyLink from Futuba site ( http://www.futabarc.com/technology/fasst.html ):

8<
Futaba 2.4GHz FASST system transmitters leave the factory with a unique and permanent ID code. Once linked to the receiver, the code ensures that the receiver will recognize and respond ONLY to that transmitter. The linking process is simple...just push a button on the receiver.
>8

So EasyLink is more that easy binding.

FlyingHigh said:

Three videos serie about how to install a Futuba 8FJ but I think that is the same for 8FG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUDKZGhwuU

And a small video why is better to replace stock Tx AND Rx (on simple words and couple frames) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq11mrKlOSQ

ginsonic said:
Wangta said:

Even you don't need to use telemetry on Tx, 14SG still can record all flying history into a log on a SD card.

About 8FGS vz 14 SG .. 14SG is superior to 8FGS. Stronger signal, bigger range (3km +), FASSTest and not FASST tehnology ....

I have a mark II iOSD that also records telemetry. I never use that feature.

Also I've had 8FGS out to two miles - which is plenty for my quads. When I go further with my planes you need something better than both 8FGS and 14SG anyway. I use ezuhf which can go miles out.

Personally, I think the 14sg is overkill for a phantom, but if you got it already, it's Def a great tx!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk 4

Wangta said:
Also I've had 8FGS out to two miles - which is plenty for my quads. When I go further with my planes you need something better than both 8FGS and 14SG anyway. I use ezuhf which can go miles out.

Personally, I think the 14sg is overkill for a phantom, but if you got it already, it's Def a great tx!

Two miles mean 3.2km (I live on Europe :D ). I know that 8F series have a range around 1km and Futaba 14SG have 3km+ . 8FGS have same power as 14SG ?

ginsonic said:
Wangta said:

Two miles mean 3.2km (I live on Europe :D ). I know that 8F series have a range around 1km and Futaba 14SG have 3km+ . 8FGS have same power as 14SG ?

1km? That's less than a mile! Guaranteed the 8FG and 8FGS can go more then that! Heck, the stock phantom 1.0 controller can go a mile out!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk 4

BrandonBallard said:
I was not insinuating the P2 was a helicopter, I was saying that I like the helicopter version of transmitters because I don't like a ratchet throttle on the airplane model.

Thanks for sharing this. I learned one more think. I don't like that too :lol: .

Ratchet throttle is that device that make an ugly noise when move throttle stick ? And the helicopter RC version don't have it? I will contact my dealer to send me a version without ratchet throttle. Hope to not be to late.

that easy link description is talking about one button to bind. so if i buy just rx from futaba then i don't get it binded from factory so your telling me its not the same? i need to buy a radio every time i by a rx to make sure they connect right? also that video is showing old Phantom rx. not a fast rx with diversity. i would change out if it was not a P2. in that video he talks about how small phantom rx is. i have a lot smaller futaba ones that i trust just the same. doesn't matter how small it is. again i am not telling anyone not to switch it out if they don't want to. just trying to help people realize they do not need to if they don't want to. i really don't think it has anything to do with fly aways because we have had some here and they were not with phantoms but other quads running naza. if you look on other forums you will see that it happens to other quads running naza. that 14 is a nice radio i would be curious to see if it gets more range. i tried with 18mz and got same range as my 8fg. please let us know

hjscm said:
that easy link description is talking about one button to bind. so if i buy just rx from futaba then i don't get it binded from factory so your telling me its not the same? i need to buy a radio every time i by a rx to make sure they connect right? also that video is showing old Phantom rx. not a fast rx with diversity. i would change out if it was not a P2. in that video he talks about how small phantom rx is. i have a lot smaller futaba ones that i trust just the same. doesn't matter how small it is. again i am not telling anyone not to switch it out if they don't want to. just trying to help people realize they do not need to if they don't want to. i really don't think it has anything to do with fly aways because we have had some here and they were not with phantoms but other quads running naza. if you look on other forums you will see that it happens to other quads running naza. that 14 is a nice radio i would be curious to see if it gets more range. i tried with 18mz and got same range as my 8fg. please let us know

Don't read just last phrase. Futuba will bind faster with compatible Rx. But Futuba Rx can insure a connection just with the master Tx. All compatible Rx will bind BUT if don't test the Tx ID code will accept orders from any much powered signals. In same time stock RX don't have diversity that is important for fly security.

Nevermind anyway, each do what want. I will change for sure Rx. But still waiting CES on 7 January nefore order to know what model will get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers