Buy used Phantom 2 Vision Plus or hold out for newer less expensive drone?

Reaction score
I only have experience with toy drones and a Tello. I'd like to move up to something a little more stable in the wind and play with taking some video and photos. I have an opportunity to purchase a Phantom Vision 2 Plus for about $100 but it has some kind of issue with the camera and/or gimbal. It has a couple batteries with it and it supposedly flies fine and gets about 15-20 minutes of time out of the batteries. I also already have a GoPro Hero 4 so I am considering trying to buy a gimbal for the Phantom that would allow me to use it. Does this sound like an ok plan or should I just save my money and try to buy something a little more expensive when I can? I am pretty good with loading firmware and basic electronics but I don't want to spend a lot of time and money and still not have something I am happy with. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!

I only have experience with toy drones and a Tello. I'd like to move up to something a little more stable in the wind and play with taking some video and photos. I have an opportunity to purchase a Phantom Vision 2 Plus for about $100 but it has some kind of issue with the camera and/or gimbal. It has a couple batteries with it and it supposedly flies fine and gets about 15-20 minutes of time out of the batteries. I also already have a GoPro Hero 4 so I am considering trying to buy a gimbal for the Phantom that would allow me to use it. Does this sound like an ok plan or should I just save my money and try to buy something a little more expensive when I can? I am pretty good with loading firmware and basic electronics but I don't want to spend a lot of time and money and still not have something I am happy with. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!
Even if it was working, the Phantom 2 series is a dinosaur nowdays.
The technology has moved a long way forward since it was current.
I'd vote for holding off on it.

Reactions: EricT and gppms
Phantom 4 would be a decent choice. Lots of that one out there.
Point and shoot camera, flys great. Decent range that can be enhanced with a few tricks. Research.
If you can’t find one, I may have one that would work.

Reactions: gppms
I would personally go for any Phantom 3 I have the standard and it's excellent steady as a rock

I would look for a P3 A/P
A cheap P2 with known issue so you know it will take more $$ to get it going.
Spent a little more and on a good P3 better technology and video.

Reactions: gppms and Eagle_One
Ok, I think you guys have talked me out of it :). I have a few questions though. Where is a good place to look for a used P3 or P4 and what is a fair price? Are the standard versions still better than the P2? Is there anything I need to look out for so I don't get ripped off buying used? Should I consider some kind of mavic? If there is somewhere that answers all these novice questions please point me to that. I'm new beyond what little experience I have with the tello and not sure where to go from it. My main issue with the tello is it relies on the phone for the photo and video storage so it can be pretty inconsistent in quality. Also, the range is not great or consistent even with a wifi extender added into the mix. It is a lot to keep up with and set up and tear down to go flying.

Ok, I think you guys have talked me out of it :). I have a few questions though. Where is a good place to look for a used P3 or P4 and what is a fair price? Are the standard versions still better than the P2? Is there anything I need to look out for so I don't get ripped off buying used? Should I consider some kind of mavic? If there is somewhere that answers all these novice questions please point me to that. I'm new beyond what little experience I have with the tello and not sure where to go from it. My main issue with the tello is it relies on the phone for the photo and video storage so it can be pretty inconsistent in quality. Also, the range is not great or consistent even with a wifi extender added into the mix. It is a lot to keep up with and set up and tear down to go flying.
I bought my Phantom 3 standard second hand on Ebay for £200 it has been a brilliant buy you will not be disappointed

I have bought five drones from E Bay. Sent two back.
I have learned that you do not buy a drone with a problem no matter how good the price is. Everything has to work.
With a good used P3S goes for $310.US

Phantom 4 (p4p) is by far the best consumer drone ever made for high quality images and videos.
The Sony one inch sensor camera and electronics wont fit into the smaller drones and thus the decision; do you need portability or great images?

I have a p2 vision + someone gave me is it possible to fly it without using a wifi app I read you have to use older iPhone for dpi apps problem is my older iPhone 5s doesn't have cell plan from carrier. when I turned drone, and remote on a dpi wifi showed on phone but couldn't get past that. no flight is there a app to use that wifi isn't needed ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen