Mavic 2 Pro, or Phantom 4 Pro for a photographer?

Mavic 2 Pro for sure. You could fit it with your Camera etc. in your camera bag you usually take with you places. No need to have another big case with you just for your drone, especially if you are the type of photographer that likes to explore. Portability is a huge factor. Not just for a hobbyist, but a professional as well.

Why isn't anyone suggesting Mavic Air?

Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria
well, i have both. P4 pro its better, in quality and mechanichal shutter are so far ahead for photo. plus, 4k 60 fps give some more features for edition, and the cam in general, offers clear images. see the HUGE diference:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: roosta
Everything depends on your taste and expectations. The only big advantage of M2P is its portability. Nothing else! Particular if we are talking about still photos. I like the camera of my P4P and would never exchange it for Mavic. But no one can decide which one instead of yourself. Wish you much fun. DJI Drones are really amazing pieces of technology and incredibly user friendly.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
We car guys used to say "There's no substitute for cubic inches". In still photography, pros know there is no substitute for megapixels. 20 is way better than 12 for still photography, especially if you will be making prints.

There is an argument for the Mavic if you're just posting to the web (you're only looking at 72 ppi on a monitor), but the P4 images will still have better dynamic range (by a lot).

Having said all that, there's another truth which is "the best camera is the one that you have". Meaning that if you need to carry a footlocker full of bird, batteries and accessories, you might not take it everywhere you go.

We car guys used to say "There's no substitute for cubic inches". In still photography, pros know there is no substitute for megapixels. 20 is way better than 12 for still photography, especially if you will be making prints.

There is an argument for the Mavic if you're just posting to the web (you're only looking at 72 ppi on a monitor), but the P4 images will still have better dynamic range (by a lot).

Having said all that, there's another truth which is "the best camera is the one that you have". Meaning that if you need to carry a footlocker full of bird, batteries and accessories, you might not take it everywhere you go.

Yes that's very truth. Usually better scenes I see when I haven't took the drone with me, ha!
And that's why I have the phantom 4P when I am sure I'm going to shoot photo or video and the Mavic Air when I go out just like that with no intention to film something or if I know there is going to be much walking. Concerning portability the Mavic Air is much better choice than Mavic2P and it's very much better than having nothing.

I hope this image helps. Portability is key for photographers who want to carry all their equipment in one bag. In this bag there is a Nikon 750 with an attached lens and beneath
the drone controller is a second lens. Also included are four extra drone batteries as well as filters for both the camera and the drone. The only caution I must make is that you should be comfortable with post processing when using the Mavic 2 Pro.
77DE8234-46EA-46E6-A487-B9468D148700.jpeg

Last edited:
Recently, I pondered the decision between the same two drones for a couple of weeks before deciding on the P4P+. For me, it really came down to the DCI 4K, 60fps in 4K and the availability of a built-in screen on the controller of the P4P+ (very nice to not use my phone). The Mavic 2 Pro looks like the way to go for anyone needing portability (and 10 bit color) more than those video features. I feel a bit like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle wearing the backpack for the P4P+... haha. I preferred the examples of the P4P's straight out of camera colors, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal in post either way. Another small factor for me: I thought it might be easier to see the P4P at a distance in certain environments.

I agree with your conclusion. I own a P4P and the M2 wasn't a big enough of an upgrade...given the sensor and how much of it is actually used - it still couldn't shoot video in 4K60...something I'd expect a newer, smaller, portable drone thats at least 1.5 years youngerb to the Phantom...so I'm still happy with the P4P. Though, I do love the portability...being a photographer myself, it's just not feasible to take a DSLR, lenses, the Goggles and a P4P in the 1 bag, so not easy to travel light...so it's usually "one set or the other".

From raw photo samples I've seen, the difference can be negligible in stills...but whatever your preference, filters are your friend. I use 2 different brands on filters for my P4P. Next year and with the right approvals I plan to do a lot morelow-light photography on my P4P...from what I've seen posted in RAW and heard from those that have the chance to do it more than me - the shots tend to be a bit more sharper in calm conditions. If you do decide video and portability is not the biggest consideration, I think the P4P/P4P2.0 is a great choice.

RoOSTA

I agree with your conclusion. I own a P4P and the M2 wasn't a big enough of an upgrade...given the sensor and how much of it is actually used - it still couldn't shoot video in 4K60...something I'd expect a newer, smaller, portable drone thats at least 1.5 years youngerb to the Phantom...so I'm still happy with the P4P. Though, I do love the portability...being a photographer myself, it's just not feasible to take a DSLR, lenses, the Goggles and a P4P in the 1 bag, so not easy to travel light...so it's usually "one set or the other".

From raw photo samples I've seen, the difference can be negligible in stills...but whatever your preference, filters are your friend. I use 2 different brands on filters for my P4P. Next year and with the right approvals I plan to do a lot morelow-light photography on my P4P...from what I've seen posted in RAW and heard from those that have the chance to do it more than me - the shots tend to be a bit more sharper in calm conditions. If you do decide video and portability is not the biggest consideration, I think the P4P/P4P2.0 is a great choice.

RoOSTA
Filters for video or stills??

Filters for video or stills??

Mostly videos, but the polarizer can work a charm for photos for stills depending on the subject in question (particularly on a sunny day)

4K at 60fps compressed into 100Mb/s will inevitably produce very mediocre results even with an H265 encoder. The problem here is the limitation of the storage media technology aside from image processing bandwidth. You would need about 300Mb/s to achieve similar quality as with 24fps.

Are you going to take any long exposure shots? Many p4p2.0 user (including myself) experience yaw movement when hovering. The issue is specific to the 2.0 version. I own both a p4p2.0 and p4adv. When I take long exposure shots at night (2, 3 or 4 seconds), the still is sharp 90% of the time with the p4adv. With th p4p2.0, it's barely sharp 10% of the time because of the yaw movement. It takes a lot of hit or miss. I've sent my drone to DJI for service 2 times but it comes back just as faulty. And I don't mention the issue with the gimbal when breaking. DJI acknoledged this is an issue but they're unable to fix it. It was reported by several other users in the forum. Absolutely no issue with the p4adv gimbal. I also get some jello effect with the 2.0; never happened to me with the p4adv. I'd say stay away from the 2.0 version. The best bang for your buck is probably a refurbished p4adv.

There is a video on youtube explaining that Mavic 2 pro not using whole 1" sensor for video. That kinda puts it below P4P or P4A. I got Mavic zoom to compliment P4A.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria
Wait until Nov 28th when the release of Phantom 5 is possible. The main issues with p4p for stills are: resolution lost due to geometric correction and thermal noise (in particular color noise).

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic