Futaba 8FG Super or Futaba 14SG for Phantom 2?

James Cole said:
Thanks for the reply´s guys but I do not see any binding just an installation of an RX inside the phantom... is that whats needed in the phantom 2? I thought you just bind it pressing a button without opening the shell...

Have you installed/connected the receiver to your Phantom?

people are reporting success with putting futaba in multi fast mode and pressing binding on phantom rx. both 8fg and 14 seem to be working. no one is saying anything about switching out rx. i might try it today

hjscm said:
people are reporting success with putting futaba in multi fast mode and pressing binding on phantom rx. both 8fg and 14 seem to be working. no one is saying anything about switching out rx. i might try it today

I hear that Phantom Rx is compatible with FASST tehnology, so will work directly with Futuba 14SG. But for safe I will still replace the receiver :)

it works fine. got out 2,031 meters and did not go into fail safe. the DJI controller went 1617 meters then fail safe. binding was easy just turn on tx and the P2 press bind switch for about 4 seconds and it bound.

ok hit fail safe at 725 meters AGL and 2412 meters away. went to the top of s ski hill next to me(northstar at tahoe) the go pro video looks pretty good.

hjscm said:
ok hit fail safe at 725 meters AGL and 2412 meters away. went to the top of s ski hill next to me(northstar at tahoe) the go pro video looks pretty good.

What Radio did you use?

hjscm said:

Now try swapping out the Phantom's receiver with the receiver from Futaba, you should get better range.

using 8fg. i don't think i can et much further. i have gotten a little less than 2 miles on my disco pro with futaba rx. i think this is pretty far considering i am behind lots of trees. need to get a better place for line of sight. my 5.8 is going further than i thought it would. wondering if i can cram my ezuhf in the P2.

As someone who is about to hit the "Place Order" button at B&H for a P2 and GoPro 3+ black, with plans to add iOSD and FPV and all that good stuff in the near future, this thread makes me worry a bit. Hadn't planned to upgrade the Tx; and would rather spend my next $500 on FPV and not a redundant Tx.

So, my question is, how much do I need to worry about the stock P2 Tx?

I don't intend to fly the thing out of sight line. What is the "law?" 400m up and in sight? That seems fine with me. But I do intend to fly it over water quite a bit, and the last thing I want is some sort of fly away.

Would changing the stock Tx antennae to cloverleafs help?

Thanks!

the stock tx is perfectly fine. i just wanted to see what the difference would be. i got i think around 1700 meters with stock tx. i would not be worried about it. just wish the iosd would be able to change to feet instead.

ghinson said:
As someone who is about to hit the "Place Order" button at B&H for a P2 and GoPro 3+ black, with plans to add iOSD and FPV and all that good stuff in the near future, this thread makes me worry a bit. Hadn't planned to upgrade the Tx; and would rather spend my next $500 on FPV and not a redundant Tx.

So, my question is, how much do I need to worry about the stock P2 Tx?

I don't intend to fly the thing out of sight line. What is the "law?" 400m up and in sight? That seems fine with me. But I do intend to fly it over water quite a bit, and the last thing I want is some sort of fly away.

Thanks!

Ghinson - have the same questions as you and am in the same boat. Just placed my order today with B&H for a P2 and GoPro 3+ Black. Now looking for a FPV and case.

ghinson said:

Thanks!

Is not just about range but in same time is about security. I never hear about a flyaway of a Phantom using a Futuba RC. Maybe I wrong :oops: :lol:

How common are fly-aways with the stock Tx, especially flying in line of sight? And, if it ever happens, would fail-safe be, well, a fail-safe?

Fail-safe is suppose to work as long as you recorded a home position prior to taking off. However, if you get interference that over powers your transmitter then basically your Phantom is about to do whatever that interference tells it to do. If eventually the Phantom realizes that it is indeed listening to interference it will then go into fail-safe and return home. An upgraded Tx simply provides better protection against interference Vs. the stock Phantom Tx.

Phantom 1 and 2 (not Vision) uses 2.4 GHz which is the same frequency things like wireless routers use so there is potential interference almost everywhere. Also line of sight is always best but 2.4 GHz does not rely on line of sight as much as other frequencies do, the lower the frequency the bigger the wave length, the bigger the wave the shorter range but better at going through objects.

Also, although I cannot say Flyaways are COMMON I do know that they do sometimes happen, and that's enough to make me paranoid using the stock Tx.

ghinson said:
How common are fly-aways with the stock Tx, especially flying in line of sight? And, if it ever happens, would fail-safe be, well, a fail-safe?

BrandonBallard said:
Fail-safe is suppose to work as long as you recorded a home position prior to taking off. However, if you get interference that over powers your transmitter then basically your Phantom is about to do whatever that interference tells it to do. If eventually the Phantom realizes that it is indeed listening to interference it will then go into fail-safe and return home. An upgraded Tx simply provides better protection against interference Vs. the stock Phantom Tx.

Phantom 1 and 2 (not Vision) uses 2.4 GHz which is the same frequency things like wireless routers use so there is potential interference almost everywhere. Also line of sight is always best but 2.4 GHz does not rely on line of sight as much as other frequencies do, the lower the frequency the bigger the wave length, the bigger the wave the shorter range but better at going through objects.

Also, although I cannot say Flyaways are COMMON I do know that they do sometimes happen, and that's enough to make me paranoid using the stock Tx.

ghinson said:

Don't the Futaba's use 2.4 also?

Yes they use 2.4 GHz but Futaba FASST radios for example shifts the frequency hundreds of times per second, plus it scans incoming data to make sure that it is indeed talking to the transmitter, the aftermarket transmitters simply have added security measures to make them more reliable against interference.

I have a Futaba 8FGHS SUPER 2.4G in the mail, it should get here Thursday.

The link below explains some of the features of Futaba "FASST".

http://www.futabarc.com/technology/fasst.html

FASTFJR said:

BrandonBallard said:
Yes they use 2.4 GHz but Futaba FASST radios for example shifts the frequency hundreds of times per second, plus it scans incoming data to make sure that it is indeed talking to the transmitter, the aftermarket transmitters simply have added security measures to make them more reliable against interference.

I have a Futaba 8FGHS SUPER 2.4G in the mail, it should get here Thursday.

The link below explains some of the features of Futaba "FASST".

http://www.futabarc.com/technology/fasst.html

FASTFJR said:

8<
Futaba 2.4GHz FASST system transmitters leave the factory with a unique and permanent ID code. Once linked to the receiver, the code ensures that the receiver will recognize and respond ONLY to that transmitter. The linking process is simple...just push a button on the receiver.
>8

This is the reason why don't bind Futuba TX to stock Rx. Just replace stock RX with Futuba one.

These radio's all come in two version, "Air" and "Heli." We want Heli right? Main difference being the throttle stick spring centered versus ratted? I'm surprised that there is a price difference between the two configurations. Must be more differences I'm not familiar with.

ginsonic said:
Futaba 2.4GHz FASST system transmitters leave the factory with a unique and permanent ID code. Once linked to the receiver, the code ensures that the receiver will recognize and respond ONLY to that transmitter. The linking process is simple...just push a button on the receiver.

This is the reason why don't bind Futuba TX to stock Rx. Just replace stock RX with Futuba one.

Ginsonic, do you think the Phantom 2 RX will have the same interference security as the Futaba RX? I have the R6208SB coming with my transmitter and I hear a few people had problems with those on the Phantom 1. I would love the simplicity of just binding the new radio to the stock Rx.

FlyingHigh said:
These radio's all come in two version, "Air" and "Heli." We want Heli right? Main difference being the throttle stick spring centered versus ratted? I'm surprised that there is a price difference between the two configurations. Must be more differences I'm not familiar with.

I ordered the Heli version, the only difference is the Heli version doesn't have a ratcheting throttle.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl