Mavic 2 Pro, or Phantom 4 Pro for a photographer?

Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

So what do you guys recommend?
I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

Any input will be highly appreciated [emoji4]

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria
Recently, I pondered the decision between the same two drones for a couple of weeks before deciding on the P4P+. For me, it really came down to the DCI 4K, 60fps in 4K and the availability of a built-in screen on the controller of the P4P+ (very nice to not use my phone). The Mavic 2 Pro looks like the way to go for anyone needing portability (and 10 bit color) more than those video features. I feel a bit like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle wearing the backpack for the P4P+... haha. I preferred the examples of the P4P's straight out of camera colors, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal in post either way. Another small factor for me: I thought it might be easier to see the P4P at a distance in certain environments.

Recently, I pondered the decision between the same two drones for a couple of weeks before deciding on the P4P+. For me, it really came down to the DCI 4K, 60fps in 4K and the availability of a built-in screen on the controller of the P4P+ (very nice to not use my phone). The Mavic 2 Pro looks like the way to go for anyone needing portability (and 10 bit color) more than those video features. I feel a bit like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle wearing the backpack for the P4P+... haha. I preferred the examples of the P4P's straight out of camera colors, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal in post either way. Another small factor for me: I thought it might be easier to see the P4P at a distance in certain environments.
Thank you for your input [emoji4]
But I won't really be shooting videos. I have a laptop that can't handle video editing.
I'm mostly just a photographer

M2P soft warm pics - P4P sharp colder pics - both adjustable in Post - ! One is more portable than the other - so take your pic.... I have the P4P.

I don't have either a P4P or a M2P but if I was buying a new drone right now, I would probably go for the M2P. I have a Spark and a Phantom 3 Standard and use them both to mostly take photos to get an aerial perspective to complement the landscape photos I take with my DSLRs. The portability and ease of use the Spark provides makes it my go-to drone most of the time. No worries about installing props for every flight or trying to figure out how I am going to carry my DSLR and lenses in addition to the drone. With the Spark and I imagine the M2P, I just pack them both in my photo backpack and off I go, whether it is hiking, biking, Nordic Skiing (soon), etc.

Remember the saying, "The best camera (drone) is the one you have with you!" and I would imagine for many people that now would be the M2P.

Chris

I purchased the P4P+V2 after some deliberation. The mechanical shutter and full 1 inch image sensor got my attention. The pictures are very true to life color wise with excellent detail. Even in 20-30mph winds this camera and gimbal system is unbelievably stable. I feel some of the success this drone’s stability is due in part to the way the camera and gimbal hang down, more so than the mavic pro.

It’s similar to the way the body hangs lower (center of gravity) in a Cessna 182 (with wing on top). It’s easier to maintain level flight than say an underwing model like the Mooney M20C. It would seem logical to me that the gimbal on the mavic would have to work a little harder because it is so closely in line with the rotors (1:1), whereas P4PV2’s camera is further down, and angularly, it would take less effort to maintain level - less movement during shuttering, if you will.

My tuppence: when the M2P came out I was momentarily thinking the unthinkable - is this the time that maybe I stick my P4P on the market and replace it with the M2P?
I live in Scotland and go hiking in the hills a lot so the M2P sounds like the perfect package. I mainly do still photos as well so went and watched a heap of videos on the M2P's camera compared to the P4P. Based on those I've decided to stick with my Phantom! There's a couple of things about the M2P that just didn't sit right with me. The M2P pictures were way too warm and there was a fair difference in the amount of detail captured. M2P's pictures were rather soft in places compared to the P4P.
The fact that two friends of mine who are professional photographers waited for the M2P to be released and then went and bought P4Ps also helped me decide...
The M2 pro is a tad softer than the P4P. But when you set sharpen on bird to plus 1 it's almost identical tbo. You might notice a tad diff in a 36 in print maybe. But the warmness is due to the newer 10-bit color science I'm sure. You can dial any of that out you want before you process it in Camera Raw. I have both birds and I still love them both. But the smoothness and transmission signal and range on the M2 just blow the P4P away! Let's me get shot's that I could get to with my P4P!

I purchased the P4P+V2 after some deliberation. The mechanical shutter and full 1 inch image sensor got my attention. The pictures are very true to life color wise with excellent detail. Even in 20-30mph winds this camera and gimbal system is unbelievably stable. I feel some of the success this drone’s stability is due in part to the way the camera and gimbal hang down, more so than the mavic pro.

It’s similar to the way the body hangs lower (center of gravity) in a Cessna 182 (with wing on top). It’s easier to maintain level flight than say an underwing model like the Mooney M20C. It would seem logical to me that the gimbal on the mavic would have to work a little harder because it is so closely in line with the rotors (1:1), whereas P4PV2’s camera is further down, and angularly, it would take less effort to maintain level - less movement during shuttering, if you will.
I have both the P4P and now the Mavic 2 Pro Dferguson. And I have tested both a week ago or so. We had a day with 25 mph straight line winds and up to 48pmh gust. The Mavic 2 Pro seems to handle the wind a lot better than my P4P. I feel because it is more sleek and does not have the landing gear catching air. I thought the P4P would def be better because of it's weight. But I had my mind changed on that for sure.

My tuppence: when the M2P came out I was momentarily thinking the unthinkable - is this the time that maybe I stick my P4P on the market and replace it with the M2P?
I live in Scotland and go hiking in the hills a lot so the M2P sounds like the perfect package. I mainly do still photos as well so went and watched a heap of videos on the M2P's camera compared to the P4P. Based on those I've decided to stick with my Phantom! There's a couple of things about the M2P that just didn't sit right with me. The M2P pictures were way too warm and there was a fair difference in the amount of detail captured. M2P's pictures were rather soft in places compared to the P4P.
The fact that two friends of mine who are professional photographers waited for the M2P to be released and then went and bought P4Ps also helped me decide...

I would like to 2nd what Crabman has discussed. I am a professional photographer and travel the world with my cameras and usually a drone. Am in Thailand now. I can assure you that the P4P is clearer and better quality photographs than the MP2. Both are good but for still photography the P4P takes the cake. That’s unfortunate as I had really hoped the MP2 would be at least the same quality and it isn’t. This i resold the MP2.

I am a photographer, and mostly take still photos with my P4A+ and my P4P. I pre-ordered a Mavic 2 Pro, but cancelled the order before it arrived, and I bought another P4A+ instead. I love the screen on the plus-version, and the P4P and P4A is a stable, well tried out aircraft. Nobody has convinced me that the M2P takes better quality photos, actually most photographers who has tried them both says the P4P (and P4A) is a bit better in most situations.
In my opinion M2P's real advantage is its portability - if that is important then it is a better choice.

I was disapointed in the way DJi marketed the MP2. It all pointed to the MP2's camera and made it look like it would be better or at least the same as the P4P/P4A. They really pushed the Hassy brand name and the 1 inch sensor.

My P4P was sent back to Amazon for vibration on the gimble motor and I was all for getting the M2P. I have took the P4P up a few of the Scottish Munros and its a bit if a pain. I am now thinking of getting a new P4A and a Mavic Air to take up the Munros.

Have a look at this guys vidoe. Between this and Cliff Tottens video its put me off the M2P.

Reactions: roosta
...just had to make same decision to replace a p4p and went with p4pv2 for its superior IQ (...and 4K slomo at 60fps!) and, btw, noticed a much more solid connection with occusync - after 30 years as a photographer and 700 hours on DJI birds starting with p4, I'm extremely happy with current set up (...not sure who exactly needs to go out 5 miles instead of 4.3 miles with the m2p? - just asking for trouble at those distances IMHO!) - size would then be determining factor, as the IQ is still pretty good, but I was really hoping the m2p was gonna blow the p4pv2 outa the water, instead it's just "not quite as good"...

Hi everyone,

I am debating between a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Phantom 4 Pro. Can't decide which one to buy.

My main focus will be taking photos, not so much videos. I have been seeing a lot of debate between the two about which one is better, but mostly are just video related.

I do travel fairly enough, but most of the traveling is done in my car, but Mavic's portability is definitely a plus since I can toss it in a backpack with my DSLR.

P.S: The reason I want to buy one of these is because I will love to add an aerial perspective to the landscapes I shoot.

If you are interested in seeing some of my work, check out my Instagram (nakul_kataria): www.instagram.com/nakul_kataria
Consider the p4pv2. Good camera, mechanical shutter, f2.8 lens. That’s what I’m using and it’s a good camera, plus p4p is heavier than the Mavic and makes a better camera platform.

Have you noticed which one gives more true to the eye colors?
Some YouTube videos I have seen of the comparison between the two, M2P seems to generate much warmer colors, vs the Phantom that looks much cooler (color temp wise). But they don't tell you what the sky and the light actually looked like?
If you shoot in RAW then fixing color cast in post processing can be done with no loss.

In order to have a reference I shoot a frame (or a few seconds of video if that's what I'm out for) of an 18% neutral grey card under the same light. (No auto white balance). It also helps me set exposure (esp on video where I don't use auto exposure).

It's an excellent starting point for neutral color balance. Of course, artistically, you may choose to deviate from there depending on a look you want. But I think using this technique eliminates the camera color cast as a factor (again, only if shooting RAW).

If you are a serious hobby photographer I'm guessing you already have a grey card or a Macbeth color checker which includes one. You can also use the white card for color balance only.

Consider the p4pv2. Good camera, mechanical shutter, f2.8 lens. That’s what I’m using and it’s a good camera, plus p4p is heavier than the Mavic and makes a better camera platform.
I think mechanical shutter benefits video. Not something OP is interested in.

Unless taking stills for mapping. Then I think mechanical shutter is a benefit for stills.

As a commercial real estate photographer, I was looking and researching very closely before purchase, at that time between the Mavic Pro original model and the P4P. My decision came to several features I found in the P4P over the Mavic at that time, well before the Mavic 2 Pro, so can't compare with the latest model.

First and foremost, as a high end photographer on ground and wanting the very best images for aerial stills, I decided that the 20 mp P4P camera would be better than the 12 mp camera in the Mavic. That turned out to be correct, or at least the images I was getting in shooting strictly RAW/DNG have proven to be extremely good and edit easily and well in Photoshop CC.

Next, the flight and control of the aircraft was important and I liked the specs of the P4P over the Mavic. I have not yet flown a Mavic Pro, so can't honestly compare per se, but my P4P flies very well, and does everything I needed it to do. Again, without hands on comparison, hard to say what the Mavic would have been capable of, but I have never been disappointed in the P4P, which I found to be a serious workhorse in still photography.

It's a tough decision now with the newer cameras and some sweet lenses on the new Mavic, good luck in your decision making. Perhaps if you can, find people who have each and do your own test flights, with each aircraft and that should help make a final decision. Best of luck.

efb DJI Vina Chapel 0066.jpg
Sample photo from P4P attached, taken at the New Clairvaux monastery church recently completed in Vina, California. Photo copyright Mountain Thyme Photography, 2018, may not be used without permission.

I purchased a P4P+ about six months ago. One of the reasons is the Plus version of the controller, which is not available for the Mavic, has a bright screen, doesn't need a hood. It also uses the battery from the controller, don't have to worry about a cell phone or tablet battery going down AND the controller battery going down. The only negative thing about it is the small screen, I've heard there might be one coming out with a larger screen. As far as the transmitter/receiver, I haven't heard anything. When I placed my order with B&H, I didn't know the 2.0 had just come out and if I had specified that, would have gotten it, but if one keeps waiting for the latest model, they will get nowhere. I have no complaints about my P4P+.

I don't know, but I think the battery on the P4P runs a little longer than the Mavic. The range on the zoom lens on one of the Mavics isn't all that much, but I suppose it could make the difference where you wouldn't have to get the UAV in all that close.

Jim

Hi everyone,

You could wait, and see what happen with the new Phantom, if you are not in a hurry.

Emptech, I also used the plus with built in Android screen, very bright. However, the display sucks a fair amount of current from display unit batteries and having an external smart phone or small tablet would allow the display to operate more drone battery time. Using the Plus, I found I could go through my two batteries, then for sure needed to recharge the controller batteries along with the 2 drone batteries.

I too have NO complaints about the P4P+ kit. Runs great, captured what I needed (I have just recently sold the entire kit and closed my photo business, so all is in the past).

Have fun!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik