Futaba 10CG and Phantom v1.1.1 announce their engagement

OI Photography said:

I have the lever I need to add self-centering throttle to the controller (and I really want to), I just need to find the right spring to go with it :/

My kit came with the lever, the slotted tab with hook, a screw, and the spring- which I wish were a bit tighter, but no matter as I will get used to the very low resistance. I can adjust it also, but I need to wait and see as I don't want that little spring being to tight, and then backing off- I would rather slowly increment the tension to the sweet spot.

I had sat down today to make sense of my notes on this radio for a proper tutorial- and I came to a decision; it is pointless.

I have this thread, and I do not think I can offer anything except advice to learn about basic Futaba radio programming and you are fine. I will be happy to provide specifics on a query basis moving forward in this thread. I have already mentioned the bulk, if not the entirety of my schooling on how to set it up came from watching T8FG programming tutorials- so that is the starting point. I can offer suggestions on which switches to set up which functions- but if you get programming you already know that.

The fact is- this is a discontinued radio- so there will be precious few folks who will need the help. I am here if needed though, and happy to assist.

The T10CAG (airplane version) I have is set up with Switch C (3 way) operating the GPS/ATTI/Manual modes (you can switch between Failsafe and Manual on the last setting via endpoints) I have Switch G operating the IOC (Off/Home Lock/Course Lock) I have a Failsafe on Switch D which will engage the Return to Home feature under any circumstances- even if the radio is on. My gimbal is on Variable E which is a slider on the right side for tilt function.

I currently have a FrSky 8-16 channel Rx enroute, and plan on using 2 small servoless retracts to custom mod a set of landing gear- that will go on Switch H. The timers have a spring switch (Switch F) for resetting (there are 3 timers on the 10CAG) I still have switches and channels available for a headlight, but I think I reached max weight with the gimbal, gopro, and proposed landing gear. I also have FPV to consider.

The best part is I now have run separate wires through the extra stopper hole for gimbal and fpv power (gotta solder them to the board where the XT60 battery connector is) and the 3 wire for the landing gear trigger- so no more messy cables all over the place when done. I like it better cleaned up as there is less to grab on by branches or similar when getting squirrely like I do around trees.

Depending on final weight (I am running Mad Dog 2700 singles) I hope to be well under that 1250 gram mark... but we will see. The retracts are 18 grams each- once carbon tubes are mounted, and skids made and mounted, they may be too heavy to be practical. The final piece is the actual effective weight of the Arris 3000... oh- did I not mention that is next up to be fitted? I have not sprung on it as I keep hoping a lighter, or better 3 axis gimbal will present itself- but so far I don't see anything I think is as good. The footage Gizmo has up, and his vids on the website are pretty **** convincing. I want some of that...gonna get me some.

This will finish off my Phantom- next up will be a more pro rig with half hour air times... 550 or similar platform, but that will be next year. Currently I am also waiting on a Rx for my RCLogger Eye One Xtreme... I can use the 10CAG on that also, and that little bugger carries a gopro like you could not believe! I need to post up a vid proving it- and altitude hold function is pretty bitchin when flying low over an area as you don't need to feather the throttle. I wish the Phantom had that feature.

My radio is a polygamist...

...but that is for later. Right now, I am dealing with a 2 steps forward and 3 steps back scenario.

I set up the quad to test out the programming- took her out todat to run through the paces... and it was a beautiful thing. Single brand new, freshly charged Maddog 2700 (inside the battery bay) and the gimbal in perfect shape bar the torn grommet, and the new 10CAG set up with failsafe switch (no need to shut off radio) and full capability to switch from manual to ATTI to GPS, nd HL and CL all functional. Tilt operational, and a solid compass calibration had her rock steaady in the first no wind day since last fall. I had added a couple of cool custom turned wide, shorty thumb pads to my sticks (I am a thumb flyer- no pinch) and the control was stellar... too stellar... I got some wild hairs up my *** and lost track of time on the 2nd battery and smacked the Phantom... really hard. Too hard.

I didn't notice at the time- everything seemed ok other than a few cracks and scrapes- but when I got her home, pulled out another battery and got ready to fire her up to see if she was alright... I discovered a catastrophic failure: 1 of the motor shafts is ever so slightly bent. I originally thought the body had tweaked- it happened on my first wreck, and after repositioning the body shell and reseating things, it was fine- but I manually rotated the props as I always do to check distance against the canopy and the right rear prop skimmed the top on one side... whereas the others are about a 1/4 inch above it. I was shattered.

Then I checked the mail... and my small retracts showed! YEAH! I got them home- had the Phantom pulled apart anyway, and took my y cable and plugged it into channel 8 on my new FrKy Rx... and one of those is bad. *sigh*

The only good news is he other one worked, it is super lightweight, and I will have retractable landing gear on the new shell once it arrives- of course I have to swap out everything but that is pretty easy.

I looked at Dewey's P1 to P2 shell mod and for a minute considered it... but I have a nice case that fits my current rig well, and I do not want to do all that work- and I like the body of the P1 to be honest... the newer version is too bulky for my taste.

I had 11:14 on the maddogs average- with a total up air weight of 1250grams... and that is the best time yet on any battery config. The new shell will be lighter- the landing gear will not add but instead remove weight, the retracts are lighter than the heavy dual skid aftermarket I had (retracts are much heavier than stock landing gear) I need this as the gimbal I want will add to my old one's weight- and with the single battery, I am thinking I should be in the 9 minute range at worst... and I am so cool with that.

Now- I need a custom mount for the retracts (thinking a saddle bend under the bottom like a gimbal mount, under the gimbal mount- with tabs or wings out the sides to bolt the retracts to for my struts. I confirmed the programming in the radio... so stock Arris 3000 settings, with a tilt, retracts, and if I can figure it out, a switch for head tracking activation... I will just set the speed on tilt and yaw at fixed unless I can get that on my variable knobs... I should go ahead and put T Motors on as well I suppose. ****... smacked up and cracked up just in time for spring. I gotta hustle some cash flow... so how many of you'uns can I put down for tee shirt orders? None? ****.

That only leaves one question... what kind of paint scheme on the new shell?

...and that polygamy crack? My 10CAG has an affair with an RCLogger Eye One Xtreme now... and that little quad is about to undergo a massive mod- killer foldable custom CF fpv frame so the gopro mounts up front and battery out back for CoG control...

I mentioned my radio was having an affair; well here she is.

I know this is a Phantom forum, but technically it is a Phantom "Pilots" forum, of which I am so I feel free to post it- sue me if you don't like it :twisted:

Based on the RCLogger Eye One Xtreme flight controller, this here badazz fpv for my gopro is a killer tight spot filming tool- it is stable, the redesign of the frame allows for no props or landing gear, and footage skimming along the ground is wicked cool as you can literally drop this rig to the ground if you have the balls to do it and hit the throttle... the altitude hold function is pretty decent- but at low altitudes (like in inches) it can not be trusted to hold at that tolerance. It also folds up small- could fit in a briefcase.

I can also put the accessory cover on (shown in background on 1 pic) and mount a single switched device- like RCLoggers bubble blower, or the water cannon. I think I am going to mod some kind of candy dispenser... or maybe cigarette instead :lol:
Anybody got a match?

My shell arrived... thought about painting it... then saw the thread with the skins... and now I am back to just leaving it plain jane... if nothing else, this last smack taught me to plan for contingency, and to be honest, I want to fly it like I stole it so I can not in all good conscience justify investing in a killer paint scheme... if it sat on a shelf then sure, but my philosophy in motorcycles is "Chrome don't get ya home" and my sled is john deere blitz black with a black motor, and black on top of black... with very little chrome and that was factory and it cannot rust fast enough for my tastes.

I have also chosen t-motors for the upgrade... after trying to get straight answers from a vendor, and then being forced to read though forums until finding a detailed thread on rc groups on the e300 propulsion, I discovered they are a far superior motor to the stock v1.1.1 but not as performance enhanced as the t-motors... there's no replacement for displacement.

Upon dis-assembly, I was pleasantly surprised to find that all in all, the Phantom is a straightforward and very easy device to work on... all the way down to the smallest nuts and bolts (and they get small)

The shell came with full hardware replacement of which I don't need to open a single packet- but important things they did not supply- like the sticky pad over the compass (mine is fine- but it should be included) as well as the small piece over the LED on back. I think I may have pulled the small cable loose that runs from the compass to the LED and I am unsure where to source it- I will not know until reassembly and I fire it up... but it looks like a molex style connector on a type of serial or bus wire... any help on what it's called or where to find one would be appreciated.

I left all boards intact when I took it apart this time... I will lay a jig under each ESC when I swap motors, and then set the entire assembly into the new shell. Here is an opened up and splayed out shot of the guts of my v1.1.1 with the Naza lite body and V2 guts in it... I still have issues when I look at that- I wanted to see that cool orange M V2 in it's proper form factor but such is my luck... bastards at dronefly.

Hiway said:
Here is an opened up and splayed out shot of the guts of my v1.1.1 with the Naza lite body and V2 guts in it... I still have issues when I look at that- I wanted to see that cool orange M V2 in it's proper form factor but such is my luck... bastards at dronefly.

You can blame DJI for that one, I bought my 1.2 from another dealer and got the same "old box new guts" NAZA you have.

I'm curious to see how your little "affair" turns out. Cheater. :twisted:

OI Photography said:

I'm curious to see how your little "affair" turns out. Cheater. :twisted:

Oh she is a pistol! I swear that little girl can dance! Wind dropped enough to do some testing... I will have to grab my video sunglasses, hook it up the next nice day (tomorrow?) and do a quick vid to upload... I LOVE that mini mod gopro fpv *****!
(don't tell my Phantom)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj