Futaba 10CG and Phantom v1.1.1 announce their engagement

Reaction score
So what started as an idle hobby and interest has now become an obsession.

As of an hour ago, I became the owner of a spanky new Futaba 10CAG (airplane version and Mode 2) which is a bit nicer than the 8FG I was going to get- but this 10CAG came in a snazzy Futaba foam lined locking pro case (minus the receiver) and sold for $350... and since I would have spent that on the 8FG and then some, I feel pretty stoked at the bargain (long story on why it was so cheap, but let us just say a hobbyist passed away before getting to use it- RIP)

Now- while I have skimmed over the threads and understand the basics on upgrading a radio for my Phantom, I lack a lot of the specifics and need to buckle down and get this right. I seek input and advice from the experienced pilots and hobbyists- especially those Futaba Freaks of the Phantom. Also- there is a lot of info on the 8FG and the 14SG... but I cannot find anyone using the 10CG for the Phantom- so anyone who might have some resources on an application please point me to it.

I know I need to get a receiver- I am considering the R6014HS or R6008HS... is that not compatible? Better choice for my quad?
I know I need a throttle centering spring- I see where others have emailed the north america rep and received them- I plan on following up after the weekend- any other places to get that?
I know my Phantom v1.1.1 has the Naza V2 and the button inside for binding with a Futaba radio... I have not looked up the documentation to see what steps are needed- is there a good thread here I haven't found that details this?
I am very comfortable swapping receivers once I decide on aa new one, I am also very confident I will be much happier with the new radio and I am glad I have very little time on the stock radio so I will not have established any comfort with it. I love the feel of the Futaba... **** nice radio. I lack confidence in programming the thing though... the manual is intimidating as hell!

So, as I get this quad and radio together for holy matrimony, can I get a little counsel? All advice welcome... even smart asses.

Wow... nobody?

I know that UAVProducts uses the 10CG in a kit with the DJI S800
There is another company- RC711.com that has my version (v1.1.1) in a kit using the 10CG as an option radio

I also have learned that it may be possible to find someone with a CAMPac which I could download into my radio... but nobody here has anything?

I will keep self studying though- I have already contacted the above companies asking for advice, and I have already found a few options on receivers I may go with. All of this stuff will be useful once I upgrade into a larger quad once I get some time in with fpv, get my license, and have logged some time in the air... I am in this for the long haul now... just gave away all my r/c stuff from ground racing days- I was holding on to a few items, but I am clearing it all out- need room to work on quads.

I'll try bumping it one more time... I must say, this the first time I was met with silence on this forum when asking a question... is it my breath?

So I have crammed and played and through trial and error, found my way close so far (not that this forum has been any help whatsoever you wankers)

I have the new radio binded- but it isn't quite right yet. I can figure out a lot without going into the assistant just by flipping between atti and gps on start up and watching the lights change from green to yellow.

The 10CAG is like any other Futaba of it's caliber in most ways, but lacks the simple downloadable settings the 8FG and 14SG and 18MZ all can do. I have these little "CAMPac" modules that I could insert and load a profile... if I could find somebody willing to build, or sell, or create and send me. (the modules sell for $60 blank)

Meanwhile, using settings and programming from 14SG and 8FG and T8J threads and videos, I am getting closer. I will say I am enamored with this radio- it feels righteous in my hands and I like all of the programming I can do. I definitely will have better gimbal control- preset pitches and a failsafe switch are all in the plans; that is simple with this radio. I also can set my RCLogger Eye One Xtreme up with it- just need a new main board as there was a recall on them if you use a PPM radio instead of the stock- again, there will be much more control with that quad and nice settings for the altitude hold (killer when flying low with the gopro as you no longer need to worry bout holding that position)

Oh... and thanks a lot you all... for nothing so far.

Sorry, I don't do weddings :D

Seriously though, not only do I not own a Futaba, but I don't even recall seeing the 10CG mentioned anywhere here. You can now be the official go-to guy for that model.

OI Photography said:
Sorry, I don't do weddings :D

Seriously though, not only do I not own a Futaba, but I don't even recall seeing the 10CG mentioned anywhere here. You can now be the official go-to guy for that model.

Gee, thanks. It seems to be of a more International flavor, so I better get some good online translators bookmarked :eek:

I found a guy who uses the exact same model with a tutorial video on youtube... in Spanish. Mi no habla Espanol... hell I don't speak English properly.

I do appreciate the reply... was beginning to think I imagined the entire thread.

It is no different than the other top shelf radios... 14 channel capabilities [edit: 10 channel with a 14 channel setup]- compatible with a wide range of receivers- fully programmable like the other radios.

I know it needs to be in Acro- but the next handful of parameters for baseline elude me. I am missing a simple, but essential basic setup procedure- as I said, I was able to move it from ATTI to GPS mode with one of the switches... I was able to move that to another switch- I am being overly simplified in my description.I can see the servos moving on my radio for throttle, etc... but I have no real idea of what to start with. I know my radio binded basically.

I am hoping the beginning of the work week brings me some email replies... if I can get a tech at either DJI, or the rc711 place... especially those guys as they sell the Phantom v1.1.1 with this 10CAG, 10CHG, or any other Futaba in a RTF kit- that means they could essentially, if they were inclined, grab one of those kits with the 10CAG and put a CAMPac (think memory module) in and copy the settings- then ship it to me. I would buy a receiver (their recommendation) and the CAMPpac with the settings on it. They list on their site they will send their customers with Futabas a sheet with settings and programming, so I would think this is a service, that while rare and a little outside the box, would not be so far fetched- I mean those CAMPacs were designed for this purpose- to move profiles from radio to radio- the better and newer models use SD cards which is smarter.

I have taken this now as a personal feckin challenge- screw you guys, I'm a gonna make this happen.

I have spoken to Futaba and DJI today (who says you cannot get a hold of these companies?) and while I am not immediately any closer to a resolution, I am making headway.

I sense if I was a bit more experienced in r/c flying and radios, this would have been done the first 20 minutes I had the thing... but my inexperience is causing this to be cumbersome.

Basic inputs is what I need- I know the radio is set to "ACRO" for airplane... not sure if I need the radio at 10 or 7 channels, or if it really matters.

I need to know those other basic parameters- throttle- the whole reverse servo thing- if it is enabled on any channels or whatever (as you can tell I am not well versed in all the terms) and which channels are supposed to be controlling which functions. I can almost program from scratch if I had the info- you folks with 8FG's and 14SG's and T8J's all have this info in your radios that are working- I just need to translate it and no threads or vids I can find detail all those essential parameters... they skim over the important bits as they are moot to most people when binding their radios- I on the other hand need those bits. One vid on youtube has a guy setting up his P2 with a 18MZ radio and it shows some of those screens- but they are too different than my radio gui for me to follow.

Futaba states these radios are all over the USA... evidently they are being used on planes and copters and not Phantoms.

Additionally- if anyone knows anybody in Hong Kong that can knock on the door to rc711.com and tell them I am willing to pay them for a CAMPac with a 10CAG profile, and buy a Futaba receiver... then they have a sale.

I have had to regroup on this- I ended up deciding to upgrade the receiver (Futaba R6208SB) and I found out I was making this into a major ordeal when in actuality, it is not that much of a beast to set up the radio- any Futaba "FASST" radio for that matter, with basic controls... the devil is in the tweaking and the fine tuning.

Once I get my longer antennas from futaba for the new receiver, I will update this thread for anyone who chooses this radio.

Hi Hiway

Thanks for your postings.

I've just been trying to get my 8FG to talk to my P2, but although the P2 does recognize the 8FG, the only channel that seems to map across at all was the throttle and that was mapped to X1

So rather than trying to mess with loads of settings in the 8FG, I'm going to take the P2 apart tomorrow and fit the R6208 receiver that came with the Fubata 8FG.
I managed to get a mode 2 8FG from a local supplier, and there is a good video on youtube that describes the whole process, so hopefully I'll be up and flying again with a hour's work.

BTW. I had to swap over to a Futaba, as the stock RC Tx unit was defective, and I've had no joy emailing DJI.
DJI have only replied once, and that was just telling me to replace the batteries in the RC Tx. However I'd already established for myself that its some sort of overheating problem with the Tx as the original one seems to fail after around 5 mins of use.

I did ask DJI for a price on a replacement RC Tx, but they didn't reply to my last email to them 4 days ago.

I'm afraid, that although the Phantom is a great quad-copter, I'd not recommend anyone else to by one, due to the complete lack of support from DJI.

I guess I could approach a local seller, here in Australia, but I suspect that their communications with DJI are probably treated with the same level of response as to me, and by the time a local re-seller adds their markup, I thought I may as well do things properly and just buy a Futaba, which I can also use on other things e.g. rc cars and planes, in the future.

I'm also thinking about ditching the Naza FMU and installing a 3D Robotics PixHawk, and just use the shell, battery, ecs's and motor from the phantom, but have open source or better components for everything else

RogerClark said:
So rather than trying to mess with loads of settings in the 8FG, I'm going to take the P2 apart tomorrow and fit the R6208 receiver that came with the Fubata 8FG.
I managed to get a mode 2 8FG from a local supplier, and there is a good video on youtube that describes the whole process, so hopefully I'll be up and flying again with a hour's work.

You are in much better shape as there are threads and vids galore detailing your radio set up with the Phantom. I have little doubt you will be flying quite soon.

DJI was a phone call away for me (not that they helped) but the hold time was an hour (16 callers in front of me)
They did pick up though. I have suspicions DJI was ill prepared for the onslaught of Phantom buyers... I did speak for a time with the CSR at DJI and they are scrambling to set up locations and service hubs... so they say. DJI's products are too respected and too far reaching to simply judge them on the Phantom and I expect we are involuntary beta testing this device out here.

I do know they are monitoring forums... I Sherlocked that out from the conversation. <waves at DJI>

Hi Hiway

Perhaps DJI are a victim of their own success with the phantom.

But unfortunately its been a bit of an expensive mistake for me, as the cost of the Futaba has added over 50% to my total cost.

It's partially my own fault for not doing enough research, I wish I'd found this forum before I bought the phantom.

In which case would have seriously considered the alternatives, including the DJI FLamewheel 450' and buy the rc and flight controller separately.

Anyway hopefully I can get time this weekend to install the Futaba Rx

Minor Update- still waiting on the upgraded receiver antennas (longer so they will exit the chassis of the Phantom)

I noticed that if DJI had not used some hard glue/solder like substance on the stock receiver antenna mounts, they are the same connector (futaba- so of course) and would probably work fine if they could be removed without messing them up... which I doubt. I want to keep my stock Rx so I am not going to try.

Additionally- I am immersed in radio programming tutorials which I watch repeatedly, and along with a few attempts to reach out to the authors of those videos (to no success mind you- nobody wants to help with my radio instruction, lol!) I now know a lot more:

My radio is nice- no doubt... but it is obsolete and discontinued- thus the reason for no love. It is an awesome choice for the hobbyist Phantom flyer though in that it has plenty of capability to do anything you want with a Phantom... it also will make a killer gimbal/camera operator radio for a 2 person aerial photography team (1 on quad, and 1 on camera) which is something I am hoping to teach the wife to do. So at the price I got it, and with the abilities... at least this is not wasted effort.

The best options for comparison I find to learn from are the 8FG threads... that is the radio that replaced this one in many ways. It is the radio at the same price point, and it is a superior radio as it isn't restrained by the CAMPac module tech (think floppy disk for a radio in memory stick form...128k and it gives you an additional 15 or so profiles to keep in the radio, and it is transferable to another radio to upload)

I am unsure about other radios, but there are some decent "Trainer" functions in this model but I will never use them- nor would anyone else; that is a wash I suppose.

I will say, I suspect this 10CG series is quicker on the draw to do on the fly programming... with all the moving around in menus and submenus after 4 days and 3 battery recharges (the old ni-cad has had it) I can move blazing fast through everything... even naming models! The wheel and cursor joystick are a treat.

I have all preliminary programming now complete with 2 different profiles ready to calibrate with the Naza assistant... I will go ahead and find some time in the next few days to sit down and go over that- confirm my settings are tweaked and spot on, and when it is finished I will come back and post the results... I need to catch up on several procrastinated chores, not the least of which is splitting wood... I can't let the house get cold or the lipos will hate me, right?

FYI.

I now have my Phantom 2 working with my Futaba 8fg.

I'm currently using the original DJI receiver board, as I could not originally get the Futaba receiver to work with the Naza, however I have since figured out the problem, as it also applied to the DJI RC Tx.

If the Futaba 10cg is similar to the 8fg, the only thing which wasn't entirely clear was that the end points for the Control Mode switch I.e GPS/Att etc need to be reduced to 80 as the Phantom assistant software doesn't allow that input channel to be calibrated.

I may do some non-airborne range testing today, as I believe the Futaba Tx has a radio test mode which turns the output power down. This sounds an like an excellent feature.

RogerClark said:
FYI.

I may do some non-airborne range testing today, as I believe the Futaba Tx has a radio test mode which turns the output power down. This sounds an like an excellent feature.

Power down feature, and it is also on most futabas I believe. R/C radios have to output rf at a lower level in France, so there is also a feature for that as well.

Fail safe is a separate set up, and I will be using it on my radio like what the vid shows... I will additionally be utilizing 1 or 2 gimbal controls and that uses up all of the available channels on my R6208SB receiver. I am looking at some FrSky (8-16 channel Rx) gear that will allow me to make use of all 10 channels on my radio- this way the servoless retracts I have coming (super small- 18grams) can be connected via a 2 way switch for retractable landing skids.

The 2nd wire was a gimbal control for v1.1.1 but that is now done through the s bus- so it is obsolete. I imagine you would also have found out if you had installed the futaba Rx that the antennas were too short- and it has shown to make a difference if they are not exiting the shell... FrSky receivers have several options for antennae (so wtf is the grammatical rule that makes antennae plural of antenna?), and they are sold individually so you can mix and match to compensate for the need for 2 lengths to fit the Phantom optimally.

The stock receiver should bind to any Futaba FASST capable radio- the stock receiver is a Futaba I believe.

Hiway said:
(so wtf is the grammatical rule that makes antennae plural of antenna?)

:lol: I have no idea, but I got corrected on it once when I was young and it's stuck with me ever since

Btw, have you seen any reports of being able to bind a Futaba Tx with a FrSky Rx? I had no idea that was possible :!:

OI Photography said:
Btw, have you seen any reports of being able to bind a Futaba Tx with a FrSky Rx? I had no idea that was possible :!:

Yes- I had a brief exchange with alishanmao (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62EhuhJ ... C&index=48) and he schooled me a little on the FrSky gear. Incidentally, the above linked video was my main resource for programming my 10CAG- and his parameters are dead balls on.

The FrSky Rx I will be picking up to try out is this one: http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-tfr8s ... s-bus.html

A slightly less expensive option without the additional channels and for straight up stock replacement and no loss of any options is: http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-tfr4s ... eiver.html

You can link to the antennae options available on the accessories page (try not to fall through your ******* and choke on how affordable this product is)

I found some great instructional troubleshooting threads on multirotor forums... but forgot to save the link... gotta go back sometime and dig them up- good info there if not already buried here somewhere.

Now... I have set up my radio and everything works for pre test flight except one very important and puzzling issue... I cannot start the motors....? All stick calibrations are correct- my IOC is configured properly, and my GPS/ATTI/Manual(Failsafe) is working... and the gimbal is programmed... but I don't know why the motors will not start up... I even have sat lock in the house- but she won't start.

A little help?

Ahh ok yeah I've been using FrSky gear for a while and I love it (almost all from Aloft), I honestly just never realized they had the FASST-compatible line!

No idea why your motors won't start. Sure none of your 1st four channels are reversed?

OI Photography said:
No idea why your motors won't start. Sure none of your 1st four channels are reversed?

Derp.... there ya go.

May the bluebird of happiness never cross your Phantom's path in flight unless they are on a separate trajectory... and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of all 2.4ghz frequency users within your range.

A quick Snoopy Dance update- the free gimbal spring for the throttle stick came today from Futaba... 5 minutes, 3 curse words when the spring flew across the workbench, and a short head scratch and gander at the other side for reference and my 10CAG is now sporting 2 centering sticks... just like a stock DJI Phantom radio. I was nervous about engine shut off and no think position holds in gps mode, as well as several other crutches the stock centering throttle offers and didn't want to give them up.

I highly suggest it for all new radio upgrades- ask for it when you get your radio- it's free.

Hiway said:
OI Photography said:

Derp.... there ya go.

May the bluebird of happiness never cross your Phantom's path in flight unless they are on a separate trajectory... and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of all 2.4ghz frequency users within your range.

LOL Glad it was that simple :D I only thought of that because I'd done the same when first setting up my aftermarket radio with the NAZA.

I have the lever I need to add self-centering throttle to the controller (and I really want to), I just need to find the right spring to go with it :/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20