Frustration

Reaction score
I've got a frustrating problem I'm sure someone can help with.
First here's the basics: got my first dji 3s about 8 weeks ago. Fly it almost every day. I think I've worked out all the problems etc that I would expect and so last week I updated the firmware.
I'm now running 3.1.1 on the dji app and 1.7.9 on the bird.
Here's my new problem: regardless of where I fly it- I'm getting a rc signal loss warning, typically at around 200ft up, no more that 300 -500 feet out. This is in open fields, no obstacles. It's happened it three completely different locations. Today it happened at 190ft up, maybe 100 foot out. It initiated a return to home (thankful I was able get control and keep it out of the trees).
What can I do? This is ridiculous. My kid has a $50 drone that seems to go farther and my neighbor has a bebop 2 that doesn't have all problems (yes, I know I get to take better video etc)
Didn't have this problem before the firmware upgrade (was able to take it up 500ft etc)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What was the firmware version before, do you know?

Rod

No. It kept telling me to upgrade so I finally did (through the app). Seemed simple, except now it seems like it clipped its wings so to speak.

I've read several similar complaints, lately. People have tried different FW versions. Some times it helps.. sometimes not. I don't have any solution for you. My P3S has 1.7.9 and 3.1.1 and everything works fine.

@aputnam7

I'm the anti firmware Guy.

Fly-It or Fry-it.:eek:

Let me dig up some new and old links on this issue.

Rod

I really think this problem is Hardware, and firmware causes the hardware to fail, but as you believe everything was fine before firmware was done. When I had my first my problem, down grading wasn't possible, August 2015. It won't hurt to try, this was something that was posted on DJI fourm in May 2016.

Manual Downgrade Phantom 3 Standard (for FW 1.6.80 issue)

Here was my first thread every, and I was frustrated.
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

This thread, was started after they added the option to download firmware from the app.
Terrible signal performance

It now can be done also with the SD card, but is not the normal way.

Rod

You probably can't return it after 8 weeks?

Anybody else got some ideas?
I would really like to be proved wrong, it is a challenge.

Rod

Thanks RodPad,
Good info. Also found some stuff on YouTube. I've reminded the controller and reinstalled the app.
Will try to duplicate the issue tomorrow and see if it works.

Returned it today and got my money back (advantage of a big box store purchase). Will put the extras (extra batteries etc) on eBay

Will buy something else. Quite stunned at how many people on this (and other forums) just accept that this happens with the firmware update and even acknowledge the crapshoot with the firmware updates. It's not like dji is the only game in town.

Returned it today and got my money back (advantage of a big box store purchase). Will put the extras (extra batteries etc) on eBay

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Will buy something else. Quite stunned at how many people on this (and other forums) just accept that this happens with the firmware update and even acknowledge the crapshoot with the firmware updates. It's not like dji is the only game in town.

Luckily you saw it work like it should.
There has been many that it was bad out of the box or maybe when they did the firmware that they though was required before the flew it.
I have only had two flying anythings. I'm still very impressed by their technology.
I would never recommend a standard. Keep in mind, how many of this standards must be sold everyday. Wouldn't we like to know.
Price Point, I would buy an advanced.

Rod

Just ordered a mavic pro

Dude, you owe my big. ;)

Let me know how it works out. :)

I decided to put a $1000.00 into a 3d Printer instead, well maybe :rolleyes:
But mine is still flying, and I'm now playing with Litchi. :eek:

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.