Freefly VR Beyond - Phone Headset (really great for Litchi VR mode!)

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this review on here with my fellow flyers.

I was given a sample of Freefly's new VR headset for smartphone while chatting to the Freefly guys at the UK Drone Show recently. I was really impressed with it.
I must admit I kinda dismissed VR headsets for phones in general just because 360 video isn't 'quite' at a production level I'd use yet and the best camera out there so far is (mostly) restricted to S6/S7 samsung phones (iphone man here).
So I had fun playing with silly apps, videos and that was all good but then I remembered Litchi had VR mode and this thing really became useful!

Ironically I was recently thinking of getting some Fatshark Dom's and the HD module purely for days where it is just a bit too bright even for using a sun hood but I actually think this thing will save me all that cost. Probably not as good as proper HD Doms of course but £50 compared to their cost is big difference for something I'd not always use.

I have suggested to the guys at Freefly that they get in touch with the likes of the Litchi dev team as I think the 'crossfire' triggers on the Beyonds could be useful in flight. Only negative with flying this way is the lack of access to the settings without opening the device up of course.

Anyway video is here it is for those interested:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: InforGuy
Just wanted to share this review on here with my fellow flyers.

I was given a sample of Freefly's new VR headset for smartphone while chatting to the Freefly guys at the UK Drone Show recently. I was really impressed with it.
I must admit I kinda dismissed VR headsets for phones in general just because 360 video isn't 'quite' at a production level I'd use yet and the best camera out there so far is (mostly) restricted to S6/S7 samsung phones (iphone man here).
So I had fun playing with silly apps, videos and that was all good but then I remembered Litchi had VR mode and this thing really became useful!

Ironically I was recently thinking of getting some Fatshark Dom's and the HD module purely for days where it is just a bit too bright even for using a sun hood but I actually think this thing will save me all that cost. Probably not as good as proper HD Doms of course but £50 compared to their cost is big difference for something I'd not always use.

I have suggested to the guys at Freefly that they get in touch with the likes of the Litchi dev team as I think the 'crossfire' triggers on the Beyonds could be useful in flight. Only negative with flying this way is the lack of access to the settings without opening the device up of course.

Anyway video is here it is for those interested:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for the review. I just received a pair of Samsung Gear VR goggles and learned I would have to mod (destroy) it in order to have access to the micro usb port on my phone. I was just looking at the Freefly today and thought it may be a good option. I use Litchi exclusively.

Yeah I'd heard similar issues with the Samsungs. Nice kit for sure but very much a case of form over function in their design. I've been using these for a while since that review and really like having them in the bag for flights. I've used them probably 6 out of the last 10 flights due to the glare on the iPad being so annoying (even with sun shade). I also like how quickly you can access the phone should you need to in a hurry.
I certainly feel for the money that they would be a good investment. I just hope Litchi adopt the use of the 'crossfire' switches someday.

Reactions: InforGuy
Just got a notice from Amazon they have shipped. Should have them on Monday and am excited to try them out. Perhaps a dumb question and also off-topic, but when wearing the goggles do you see a split screen (same image on both sides) or are you looking at a single "stitched" view of what ever the drone is seeing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers