New Pixel XL, VR goggles and litchi

Reaction score
So I decided to get a new phone and being an Android fan since the original HTC G1 the pixel XL was my obvious choice this time. The daydream VR option hopefully will be a nice added value so I also ordered the VR goggles with the phone. I figured why not get VR experience just using litchi(not purchased yet). I should have good weather Friday or Saturday and take my first VR flight. I originally purchased the X-star premium and I was blown away by how well it performed for $700. I mainly wanted the P4 for the added range and additional sensor's and when I saw the black P4 on sale for 1000 I exchanged it at best buy. I have a total of about 40 flights between the two. I've been flying smaller RC quads around the house inside and outside for about 2 years so probably another 300 flights given 3 flights a week. I flew a heli-max 230si the most outside over the last year or so. I've never flown VR and I'm really excited to try it. I'm really just hoping litchi performs well and I have zero issues due to Android 7.1.1. I've been undecided purchasing a tablet because the overall census says iOS is better to fly with but not really an iOS type. Especially when an Nvidia shield 8" tablet is 200 it's hard for me to buy iOS for 400 and up. I've loaded DJI GO4 and just to see if it crashes and seems to be running fine on the pixel so far. I guess we'll see what happens when the weather breaks. I'm really looking forward to some VR fun!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using PhantomPilots mobile app

man this is exactly my story, save for the pixel phone. Had Xstar, loved it. Returned for the black p4 from BB. Have the nvidia shield. dpi go4 app has crashed but on my android phone. Thought about iPad mini, but got the shield. Just bought litchi. Stay tuned.

I also love my Nvidea Shield K1. Since it has HDMI output, I would like to find some affordable VR goggles so I can switch back to the Shield if needed. Who has experience with HDMI goggles?

Thanks!
Do you (or anyone) else has experience with the Skyview ?
Does it work with the Shield?
Make sure you buy the Skyview with an easy return policy. My Skyview goggles hit the bridge of my nose with a sharp edge, and I don't have a big nose. Adjusting them so the edge didn't touch my nose was in a position that I couldn't see all of the display. Although they worked really good with glasses, the ergonomics with the nose cavity was so bad that I had to send them back. I've been using Headplay for about 9mos. They work OK, however I had to do a lot of modifications, carving out the case to accept glasses that are 5.25" wide (normal size), and I had to replace the Fresnel lens with a Carson optical lens with +4 power go get things in focus with my glasses. I've managed to get them to work OK, not great, but OK, so the screen is in focus and I can wear my glasses. They're kinda big but flying with them is incredible, like you're in an IMAX theater.

VR? VR means you have two separate images, one for each eye. This takes away resolution, cutting it in half when compared to using a 1 screen goggle. Usually with VR, the purpose for two images is to see things in 3D, like when you play 3D games, an image for each eye, slightly different to provide a sense of depth perception. However with drones you don't have two cameras sending two real time images for actual 3D support. Hence, VR goggles are worthless for actual VR viewing, there is no 3D. The ONLY viable reason to use VR (IMHO) is because you can get very cheap goggle phone holders to put your phone in. So if you have little money to get a 1 screen goggle with the screen built in, then going the VR route with google cardboard, or any of the other <$30 goggle "phone holders" on amazon is a viable compromise. However VR won't be as immersive as using a 1 screen setup like Headplay or Skyview. with ONE SCREEN @ 720 resolution (matching what the HDMI controller outputs).

Last edited:
Reactions: rene van der meer
If you haven't tried them, the Epson Moverio BT-300 is a awesome piece of hardware for FPV goggle.

If you haven't tried them, the Epson Moverio BT-300 is a awesome piece of hardware for FPV goggle.
For $775 I sure hope they are awesome. Seems like overkill, it's got an Intel Atom CPU and an Android operating system! Why is that needed for drone flying? Seems better targeted at AR than flying a drone. Do they have a good way to adjust diopler levels?

For $775 I sure hope they are awesome. Seems like overkill, it's got an Intel Atom CPU and an Android operating system! Why is that needed for drone flying? Seems better targeted at AR than flying a drone. Do they have a good way to adjust diopler levels?

You can wear your own glasses with them and/or have prescription inserts created for them.

Reactions: rene van der meer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic