Franks Phantom 4 Story.

A bit more setup.

Lessons learned from good old Youtube and my previous Phantom

1. I have reset the frame rate of the video. I tried 60 fps but that is obviously too high, I was under the impression higher the better......... Wrong. I got blurred bits on turns. 60 fps for slow mo? So now its back to 30 fps.
2. NTSC or Pal. I thought as I was in the UK I would obviously need PAL ........... wrong. Basically if flying outdoors use NTSC. Too complicated to go into why now.

Also set video to DLOG. A personal preference but it seems to give better video results. 3840 X 2160 size. MP4 format, again personal preference.

Cinelike is usually better than dlog. The P4P camera is not good enough to take advantage of Dlog. You can check the forums, there are plenty of interesting discussions about this.
Curious about your NTSC reason...

Reactions: kpspecial
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Skip to 4 mins in.

I cannot find the original footage but they made a convincing argument for switching to NTSC. I always thought as I am in the UK I should use PAL but NTSC gives a bit better frame rate and does not have 'edges' to get rid of.

Another lesson learned. RTH.

Just shows that one never should assume something. I do not know if this was previously the case on earlier models but I thought when you have the two choices of RTH positions, the first one was to return where you took off from and the second choice was to return to you where ever the remote control was. The icon with the little man standing besides it? So if the RC moves the return to home point moves too. Apparently I am wrong.

Feel free to correct me but all the icon, the one with the little man, does is re-set the home point. Yesterday I took off from Point A, moved to a clearer spot call that point B. Reset the RTH, by tapping the little man Icon. Then I moved even further away to the middle of the field and did a RTH. Instead of coming back to the RC it went to point B. The place where I had tapped the little man icon.

One lives and learns! Did I have it wrong?

Long Tap.

Whilst browsing through the menus on the RC I came across the setting "Long Tap" and it was set to gimbal. Got me thinking ... Long Tap? Long Tap what? Today I found out what it is.

Instead of reading "Long Tap" Long Touch would be a little clearer. If you put your finger on the RC screen whilst your in flight mode and keep it there for a few seconds the with the finger still pressed move it up and down you will find the gimbal moves too!

Battery changing surprise.

Yesterday I took a friend to fly in a field. Flying great and he seemed to be enjoying himself. The half hour passed quickly and I got out my fully charged spare. Removed the spent battery. Replaced it with the charged one all without switching anything off.

This is the surprise bit. As we flew we found we could get get above a certain height or go beyond a certain distance. Scratched my head for a while then it occurred to me that its just as if the drone was in beginner mode! I checked and I wasn't.

So obviously if you just change the battery over like I did the RC defaults to beginner mode by default. Must be a safety feature. Sensible.

So if this happens to you you now will know why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.