FPVLR - Not too impressed - Penetration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly I cannot speak to the V2 but I can say the DBS has greatly improved my distance flying with lots of interference
The DBS is a nice antenna set I am not saying it isn't. I just would not waste 99 more dollars thinking that I would get better results with it then a V2. I have both sets I get better reception with the V2 then the DBS.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Location is one of several factors that play a role in range. I have both the v2 and the DBS . For me the DBS gives me better range and penetration . They are both excellent antenna systems. I would rule out bad cables and environmental factors before placing the blame on the antenna. Especially if you did the modifications yourself . But there are thousands of people using both the DBS and FPVLR antennas and they are getting impressive results.

Also are you guys using the radar to make sure you are aiming correctly. Also what is the orientation of the controller/antenna? It does take some practice to learn how to use both the DBS and FPVLR antennas.

Reactions: Bigdrone1
Funny that Tony, usually to immediately praise his antennas, does not comment...

The DBS is a nice antenna set I am not saying it isn't. I just would not waste 99 more dollars thinking that I would get better results with it then a V2. I have both sets I get better reception with the V2 then the DBS.
V2 with or without boosters ?

I have boosters on both. Flying in the same area I have to put more altitude on the DBS then I do with the V2 at say 30000 feet. To have a good signal with the DBS I would have to be over 200 feet with the v2 I can be 160 feet. Flying into the wind extra 40 feet will slow you down considerably.

Any idea how V2 not boosted perform ?
I have been over 6 miles with perfect signal at like 220 ft. over land. I didn't even come close to maxing it out. I'm going to do another run here in about an hour it's too windy for real long range stuff I'll test it out again see if I can crack 7 miles. I will let you know bro.

Reactions: Fanti
I have been over 6 miles with perfect signal at like 220 ft. over land. I didn't even come close to maxing it out. I'm going to do another run here in about an hour it's too windy for real long range stuff I'll test it out again see if I can crack 7 miles. I will let you know bro.
Pls do ! Unboosted !

The guy from FPVLR.COM has been saying for months now that there is little to nothing to be gained by using amps since his V2 antenna release.
Did you not see those posts?

Other than that, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment. There is nothing much worse (in our hobby that is) than having high expectations only to realize or feel like you wasted double your money.

No I didn't notice those posts, I wish I would have. If there is little to nothing to be gained by boosting his v2 then why is he selling a boosted v2 version? I feel taken in this aspect.

OK guys, here is what is happening: Both after-market antennas are circular polarization. They also exhibit "gain". So, they are concentrating the RF in the forward direction and splitting it between horizontal and vertical polarization. Because the Phantom is moving through 3D space, the polarization of the drone's signal is shifting orientation dynamically as it moves. The signals both directions are also scattering and reflecting off of physical surfaces and re-combining at the drone and controller's antennas. This creates very fast fluttering of the signal...as some reflections cancel and some reflections re-enforce the signal. Using circular polarization cuts these signal drops in half over any typical operating path - because you have RF in both polarizations with circular.. You've heard this flutter on FM broadcast radio in the car..we call it "Picket Fencing". There is tremendous attenuation of 2.4ghz RF through thick forests or buildings. It is actually reflecting around and bouncing off nearby objects to make it's journey. As well, microwave RF bends through the air...it refracts like light. So, over a long distance "path" - tilting your controller up slightly from the line-of-sight path to the drone - will give maximum signal. (15% tilt up for a 2+ mile path) This is a secret known by TV station remote truck dish operators. The atmosphere is bending it slightly in an arc. The large dishes you see on towers carrying long-haul data etc...usually operate over paths of 25-50 miles. Since they are in the clear...they typically only need to run low power to make the trip. It's ALL about getting YOU up and in the clear to the drone. Bob

The dbs itelite antenna is linear polarized the same as the antennas on the phantom. The fpvlr system is circular polarized.

The dbs itelite antenna is linear polarized the same as the antennas on the phantom. The fpvlr system is circular polarized.
I did not know this. Is this confirmed? So how can linear or circular work well with the Phantom if there is no antenna mod on the bird itself? What you're saying is that FPVLR would perform worse because it is circular and the Phantom is linear?

With the fpvlr there is some loss in signal , around 3 dbi because it is circular polarized . But it doesn't pickup as much ground noise . So there is advantages to both systems. I have both and with a stock phantom battery there's not much difference. Both antennas will out fly the battery before signal is loss. For me the dbs goes further when I'm running extra lipos . Environmental factors play a big role and in one type of environment the dbs may perform better and in another the fpvlr may do better. I like the compact design and quick release of the dbs itelite antenna.

Reactions: Bigdrone1
I did not know this. Is this confirmed? So how can linear or circular work well with the Phantom if there is no antenna mod on the bird itself? What you're saying is that FPVLR would perform worse because it is circular and the Phantom is linear?
This isn't top secret information. Spend 2 minutes doing some research . Or do you just want to be spoon feed information. Stop being lazy !!

I stand corrected...I assumed that they implemented circular inside the white radome. I would have! Since the after-market antennas have gain, even if you have circular on the controller and linear polarization on the Phantom, you still improve the signal path between them. One reason is that the linear polarized signal from the phantom is shifting polarization due to craft rotation and signal bounce off nearby objects. Circular polarization was invented to compensate for satellite rotation fade. With 9DB gain on the controller antenna, you have 8X the power in the forward direction (and 1/100th in the backwards direction!) Since the "Beamwidth" of the concentrated signal is inversely proportional to the gain (the more it focuses (more gain), the narrower the beam of RF) Aiming would be more critical with a higher gain antenna. One thing we have not talked about at all here is the signalling format of the Phantom system. The signalling mode used actually has "gain". As well, the 4 element antenna system in the Phantom may have active directivity...be being electronically direction controlled towards best signal. From my experience, they would have to be doing something on this front to get miles of distance. Notice how far a home WiFi goes on the same 2.4 ghz band? What, 500 ft max. ? The Phantom itself would have to exhibit gain in order to go 10 times that distance. I'll investigate. Bob

Last edited:
I stand corrected...I assumed that they implemented circular inside the white radome. I would have! Bob
The DBS performs better than the FPVLR, many find, although the DBS is linear and the FPVLR is circular. How can that be?

If the Phantom was a fixed antenna, yes, there would be less signal due to the antennas being "cross-pole"..but alas...not really so in this application - read my other reply. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers