FPVLR - Not too impressed - Penetration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I installed the $300 boosted kit and I gained a little but nowhere near what I was expecting. Stock I was getting around 6,500 feet max and video dropped out. Flying the same route with the boosted setup I gained only an extra 1,000 feet! Flying off in the other direction I gained zero! Given I am flying out of my 2 acre semi unobstructed backyard that is surrounded by quite heavily wooded area I was thinking these boosters could power through the trees but I'm finding out this is not the case at all. Maybe I was expecting too much with all the trees. This kit may be great in the wide open but for the typical user flying out of their back yard even in a country setting like mine; I think people are going to be disappointed. Seems to me these kits are for people who want to get in their cars' and seek out middle of nowhere locations to fly these long distances which is what I wanted to avoid.

Now I'm thinking should I have went with the DBS antenna, can anyone confirm dbs has better tree penetration?

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverwingflinx
I installed the $300 boosted kit and I gained a little but nowhere near what I was expecting. Stock I was getting around 6,500 feet max and video dropped out. Flying the same route with the boosted step I gained only an extra 1,000 feet! Flying off in the other direction I gained zero! Given I am flying out of my 2 acre backyard and is quite heavily wooded area I was thinking these boosters could power through the trees but I'm finding out this is not the case at all. Maybe I was expecting too much with all the trees. This kit may be great in the wide open but for the typical user flying out of their back yard even in a country setting like mine; I think people are going to be disappointed. Seems to me these kits are for people who want to get in their cars' and seek out middle of nowhere locations to fly these long distances which is what I wanted to avoid.

Now I'm thinking should I have went with the DBS antenna, can anyone confirm dbs has better tree penetration?
Well I feel ur pain yup I got sucked into the ******** too DBSMods is the same

Reactions: RadRich
Seems to me these kits are for people who want to get in their cars' and seek out middle of nowhere locations to fly these long distances which is what I wanted to avoid.
Right. That's what most people are doing with them.

I installed the $300 boosted kit and I gained a little but nowhere near what I was expecting. Stock I was getting around 6,500 feet max and video dropped out. Flying the same route with the boosted setup I gained only an extra 1,000 feet! Flying off in the other direction I gained zero! Given I am flying out of my 2 acre backyard that is surrounded by quite heavily wooded area I was thinking these boosters could power through the trees but I'm finding out this is not the case at all. Maybe I was expecting too much with all the trees. This kit may be great in the wide open but for the typical user flying out of their back yard even in a country setting like mine; I think people are going to be disappointed. Seems to me these kits are for people who want to get in their cars' and seek out middle of nowhere locations to fly these long distances which is what I wanted to avoid.

I have heard several, more then 10-15 reports that people gained little to nothing with DBS upgrades, most being on YouTube, i heard only a few bad reports, if that on the ITE upgrades... take it as you will, but you are already out $300 for the kit you just got, if you got the money i say go for it, its a risk either way... i am sure being it has already been installed they will not offer a refund, but it sure is worth a try as the product is not performing how it is advertised, its talked about like you get about the distance your battery will possibly allow, and that's not the case from what i hear!

Well I feel ur pain yup I got sucked into the ******** too DBSMods is the same
Well if u fly in the middle of now where stock Dji controller is the same as any antenna mod 6500 meters is as far as u will get I only once flew 7200 meters one way returned and landed with 2% battery never again

I got real good results with DBSmods antenna. My guess is you have a bad connection on one of the installed wires.

Btw, for $20 I got over 10,000ft with a WindSurfer Antenna. This is the best bang for the buck!

I have heard several, more then 10-15 reports that people gained little to nothing with DBS upgrades, most being on YouTube, i heard only a few bad reports, if that on the ITE upgrades... take it as you will, but you are already out $300 for the kit you just got, if you got the money i say go for it, its a risk either way... i am sure being it has already been installed they will not offer a refund, but it sure is worth a try as the product is not performing how it is advertised, its talked about like you get about the distance your battery will possibly allow, and that's not the case from what i hear!
Yes buyer beware friends of friends just want to sell sell sell really is there any prof of how well it works all the videos are in the middle of no where hell my stock controller did the same as any mod wish I just left it alone now I am going to do battery mod that probably a bad idea as well

Well if u fly in the middle of now where stock Dji controller is the same as any antenna mod 6500 meters is as far as u will get I only once flew 7200 meters one way returned and landed with 2% battery never again

You have guts, ill give you that... i am in a high interference area & typically get 18,000', still having signal with the stock antenna, i can not find the guts to go any further because i am unsure what kind of resistance or speed ill get on the way back, lol! At the distance i typically land with 15-20% left.

I installed the $300 boosted kit and I gained a little but nowhere near what I was expecting. Stock I was getting around 6,500 feet max and video dropped out. Flying the same route with the boosted setup I gained only an extra 1,000 feet! Flying off in the other direction I gained zero! Given I am flying out of my 2 acre semi unobstructed backyard that is surrounded by quite heavily wooded area I was thinking these boosters could power through the trees but I'm finding out this is not the case at all. Maybe I was expecting too much with all the trees. This kit may be great in the wide open but for the typical user flying out of their back yard even in a country setting like mine; I think people are going to be disappointed. Seems to me these kits are for people who want to get in their cars' and seek out middle of nowhere locations to fly these long distances which is what I wanted to avoid.

I am getting pretty much the max distance that the stock battery will allow for my phantom, and i stay around 300-400' during flights, all i have is the windsurfer 3d printed version, have you tried a windsurfer before spending $300 on the DBS upgrade?

I got real good results with DBSmods antenna. My guess is you have a bad connection on one of the installed wires.

Btw, for $20 I got over 10,000ft with a WindSurfer Antenna. This is the best bang for the buck!

Yes, but in what conditions? These kind of results mean nothing if I have to pack up my P3 and haul it in my car to seek out some wide open area. I think these pricey kits should be clearly marketed this way that way there are no false expectations and let downs.

Last edited:
You have guts, ill give you that... i am in a high interference area & typically get 18,000', still having signal with the stock antenna, i can not find the guts to go any further because i am unsure what kind of resistance or speed ill get on the way back, lol! At the distance i typically land with 15-20% left.

I am getting pretty much the max distance that the stock battery will allow for my phantom, and i stay around 300-400' during flights, all i have is the windsurfer 3d printed version, have you tried a windsurfer before spending $300 on the DBS upgrade?

Yes, that 6,500 ft I was getting was with a windsurfer and I have all 32 channels

I agree it's for wide open spaces but I did do the DBS mod and am pleased even though I gained some extra distance but I am in an obstructed area as well but it did help, I do know that I can go further than I could stock, pointing the antenna towards the phantom helps a lot, just glad I only spent $100 instead of $300 plus I didn't want to deal with more battery stuff with the amplifiers.

I agree it's for wide open spaces but I did do the DBS mod and am pleased even though I gained some extra distance but I am in an obstructed area as well but it did help, I do know that I can go further than I could stock, pointing the antenna towards the phantom helps a lot, just glad I only spent $100 instead of $300 plus I didn't want to deal with more battery stuff with the amplifiers.

I considered DBS first but I thought with all the trees the extra money would be well spent in having boosters power through the trees. Man, I was wrong.

I considered DBS first but I thought with all the trees the extra money would be well spent in having boosters power through the trees. Man, I was wrong.
That's right have u seen any videos claiming what they say nooooooooo

I know that sucks, I bounced that around for several days and went with the DBS, so glad I didn't go the other way.

I know that sucks, I bounced that around for several days and went with the DBS. Hopefully other people won't do the same.
Yes any improvement with higher DBI will get you better range but not like they say.i have fpvlr antenna and itelite but I had modded my fpvlr antenna with a right hand turn antenna just before they introduced there new version it works really good nowwwwww

Reactions: Jbundy63
Sounds like we should just buy a cheap $20 windsurfer and it will work as well as these expensive antenna mods.
Yes just should have left it stock and kept the wind suffer beside look who started all this long range stuff it's all about making money who really cares how well it works a fool and his money are soon parted

Sounds like we should just buy a cheap $20 windsurfer and it will work as well as these expensive antenna mods.

Seems to be the lesson here.

I did gain, but I didn't get nowhere near $300 bucks worth of gain.

I don't know if it's worth another $100 at this point to compare the DBS antenna or not. I'd be able to use the boosters with it. I'm just wondering does the dbs offer increased penetration?

Last edited:
Seems to be the lesson here.

I did gain, but I didn't get nowhere near $300 bucks worth of gain.

I don't know if it's worth another $100 at this point to compare the DBS antenna or not. I'd be able to use the boosters with it. I'm just wondering does the dbs offer increased penetration?
No sure but I think you would get the same results with the DBS as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31