FPVLR - Not too impressed - Penetration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuck from dbs is out flying everyday and it's his flights that are up on the flytrex leader board . I trust the guy flying these birds in real world scenarios . His you tube videos are awesome. That dude knows his stuff. The guy took a Playstation controller and used it to modify his p2 controller before dji made tilt camera controls he was making them out of Playstation controllers . The guy from dbs is a genius. He's a head of the game and I have complete trust in the products that have his name.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I have both, and the FPVLR V2 (unboosted) is about 20% further than the DBS on average, for me. But the penetration is much better! Even after small power loss due to the craft's vertical antenna, the circular-polarized FPVLR has better connection in trees and around obstacles. In my situation. They are both good setups, whichever one you get.

Wow, thousands of words to try and nail-down what is really the magic of RF. If we could visualize the RF coming out of the antenna - and it's path to the Quad...you'd see it is complex and interesting. Knowing the physics behind it enables you to "imagine/predict" it because you know what it does. In practice, bizarre stuff still happens...because even digital signals like these- are analog in their movement through the air. This wacky un-predictable situation is exactly what we Ham Radio guys live for. A lot of phenomena are at work here...and their interactions provide a different operating environment every day.

I'll end it with this: Quantum theory says that the RF wave may travel on every possible path to it's destination. Also though, if you tried to view the path that was taken, it would be changed simply by your decision to observe it. I didn't say "Observe it", I said "decision to observe it". Thus, the path it has taken is modified by your decision to observe it or not....after it's made it's journey. Uh huh. Just as the future is sprayed out in front of us in a multitude of possibilities, the past took a multitude of vectors to arrive at this point. And just as your thoughts about what future might occur - may bias what actually happens, your thoughts about the past - actually modify the pathway the past took to get here. Just thought I'd add a Quantum mind cracker to this already strange thread! Bob

Wow, thousands of words to try and nail-down what is really the magic of RF. If we could visualize the RF coming out of the antenna - and it's path to the Quad...you'd see it is complex and interesting. Knowing the physics behind it enables you to "imagine/predict" it because you know what it does. In practice, bizarre stuff still happens...because even digital signals like these- are analog in their movement through the air. This wacky un-predictable situation is exactly what we Ham Radio guys live for. A lot of phenomena are at work here...and their interactions provide a different operating environment every day.

I'll end it with this: Quantum theory says that the RF wave may travel on every possible path to it's destination. Also though, if you tried to view the path that was taken, it would be changed simply by your decision to observe it. I didn't say "Observe it", I said "decision to observe it". Thus, the path it has taken is modified by your decision to observe it or not....after it's made it's journey. Uh huh. Just as the future is sprayed out in front of us in a multitude of possibilities, the past took a multitude of vectors to arrive at this point. And just as your thoughts about what future might occur - may bias what actually happens, your thoughts about the past - actually modify the pathway the past took to get here. Just thought I'd add a Quantum mind cracker to this already strange thread! Bob
And why is this important? :D

Screenshots don't have much value anymore these days. Full video of the flight has a lot more weight. Unfortunately it is way to easy to manipulate flights. Today people want to see both the controller and the bird if someone wants to make a claim about a certain antenna. Completely transparent. That's what will be needed in the future . At least I hope so. I think it would be great to have some sort of standards or criteria . Not for all long distance flights just ones that antenna makers want to use as promotion of their antennas. Keep the integrity.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I use FPVLR for my photography business and the V2s are outstanding. I'm not concerned with reception as it just happens. Each and every time. Solid, dependable and astounding range. Only when I'm in an environment with a lot of trees or other clutter do I fire up the amps.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447990088.051789.jpg

What do you guys think of this mod on the P3 itself? Phantom 3 50/50 split kit ( used with the NEW ELRS antennas

I'd be possibly interested in something like this. Not much info. out there on this type of mod though unfortunately. I'm wondering how difficult this install is? Controller side is cake.
Seems that not very many people are upgrading the bird side antennas; mainly I assume because people are maxing out there battery endurance as is with just transmitter upgrades.

But that said, only maxing out in the right wide open conditions. Heavily wooded areas such as mine could benefit from this.

Luckily I was able to sell my FPVLR antenna and upgrade to the DBS itelite antenna. I couldn't be happier. No doubt it was a great decision!!!

You lie to customers!! You won't be in business too much longer !! You attack anybody that tries to tell the public the truth about your antennas!!

Reactions: Trackman1
I'm sure you would love to have my name and address so you can harass me like I have seen you do to other customers . Move along so the truth can be told!!

Here's my invoice . Your antennas suck!!

It baffles me to no end why folks want to hurt a guy's business and take food off of his table.

Do you expect the guy (who is an active participant in our hobby as well) to not come here to try to defend his product?

Neither of the two antennas being discussed here suck. That's a given.
So either you botched your install or something else was going on.

Take this advice or not, but If I was you (I know, I'm not) I would treat people that know my address with a tad less hostility. That's just something I've learned over the years. I'm sure you have nothing to be concerned about here but that's not always the case on the internet.

Reactions: Loren
It baffles me to no end why folks want to hurt a guy's business and take food off of his table.

Do you expect the guy (who is an active participant in our hobby as well) to not come here to try to defend his product?

Take this advice or not, but If I was you (I know, I'm not) I would treat people that know my address with a tad less hostility. That's just something I've learned over the years. I'm sure you have nothing to be concerned about here but that's not always the case on the internet.
Read the thread he called me a troll and liar. Just shows you the type of person he is!!

The DBS antenna works flawless with my controller. A perfect clean install.

I installed the $300 boosted kit and I gained a little but nowhere near what I was expecting. Stock I was getting around 6,500 feet max and video dropped out. Flying the same route with the boosted setup I gained only an extra 1,000 feet! Flying off in the other direction I gained zero! Given I am flying out of my 2 acre semi unobstructed backyard that is surrounded by quite heavily wooded area I was thinking these boosters could power through the trees but I'm finding out this is not the case at all. Maybe I was expecting too much with all the trees. This kit may be great in the wide open but for the typical user flying out of their back yard even in a country setting like mine; I think people are going to be disappointed. Seems to me these kits are for people who want to get in their cars' and seek out middle of nowhere locations to fly these long distances which is what I wanted to avoid.

Now I'm thinking should I have went with the DBS antenna, can anyone confirm dbs has better tree penetration?
I have stock P3A - no mods.
Last Sunday I flew 9200 feet at 200 ft alt. with full control and only couple "signal weak" notices towards the 9200ft mark.
I stupidly thought I had pressed record but after looking at SD card files apparently not! :-( I did however DL the txt files from my iPad and UL to Healthydrones.com where I was able to confirm flight distance ...
data.JPG

This fpvlr.com guy seems like a bully. I posted a negative review on his stage 2 kit for the Phantom 2 vision plus last year and he chewed me out and blamed it on his son.

In fact, that kit decreased my range. I'm leaving my Phantom 3 stock since it works well out of the box

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

This fpvlr.com guy seems like a bully. I posted a negative review on his stage 2 kit for the Phantom 2 vision plus last year and he chewed me out and blamed it on his son.

Yeah, that certainly won't help his cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers