FPV view problem with Phantom 4

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 and I just purchased a Fatshark Dominator V3 and the HDMI module for my controller. I installed the module and went through the steps to update firmware. But can't get anything to display on goggles other than blank blue/grey screen and in the "Overall Status" screen in the DJI app, I have the message "Video encryption error" ""Hardware malfunction. "Contact customer service for repairs". Could this be due to not getting ribbon cables installed tightly in new module? Any advice?

You need to enable the following setting in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-HDMI-Image-Output.png

I did that and got the same message. Plus, when the HDMI cord is not connected, the picture on my tablet is in color. When I connect the cable the picture goes black and white. Not sure if that's significant or not. I diassembled the module and made sure the ribbon cables were connected securely and they were. I fired it back up with the same results. I'm going to reinstall the factory module and see if the message goes away. If it does, I don't know what to do or try other than maybe return the HDMI module if they will let me.

when the HDMI cord is not connected, the picture on my tablet is in color. When I connect the cable the picture goes black and white.
Mine does not do that. Assuming it's installed correctly, it could be defective.

Thanks for the suggestions. More to follow when I figure out something. Really wanted to get my fatshark up and running. Never tried FPV before. Looks like I'll have to wait some more.

I reinstalled the factory module and the "Video decoder encrypton error and hardware malfunction" messages went away. Going to try and contact seller to see if I can return it.

Yup sure sounds defective, I have the exact same setup and mine works excellent!!! Remember the right side upper button selects which mode your head goggles will work on,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for the tip. Fortunately (although unknowingly) I had connected the cable exactly as you described. I emailed the place where I bought it (GetFPV in Sarasota, Florida) to explain the situation and see if I could get a replacement. Hopefully they will replace it......

Well, the seller told.me that DJI requires that all refunds or exchanges have to go directly through DJI. Not sure if that's cotreat or not. Anyhow, I contacted DJI and they want me to send them the HDMI Module AND my controller as well so they can use it for testing. It appears as though they have no intention of just sending me a replacement module. They said they had no other way to test the module (which I am doubting) unless I send my controller along with it. So now I have a delimma....do I want to ship off my controller with the module and risk getting it lost in the mail or damaged?? Plus, I have no idea yet where it's being shipped to and they won't give me any idea how long it will be gone.

I bought it online though a company in Sarasota, Florida called GetFPV.com. They sell a bunch of RC, Drone and FPV stuff. Is it normal for all things DJI to have to go back to DJI before you can get a refund or a replacement? I'm worried that their repair center isn't even in the US, that I'll have to ship it overseas and it'll be gone for 2 months or longer. I'm starting to wish I had never looked into FPV stuff.

Here's what GetFPV says in their return policy:

"GetFPV will allow defective merchandise to be returned for an exchange only. Note that if GetFPV is unable to reproduce the problem(s), the item will be shipped back and you will be charged for the return shipping. Whether or not an item is considered defective is determined in the sole discretion of GetFPV. GetFPV will not be liable for equipment that might have been lost and/or damaged as a result of defective merchandise."

Going through DJI is going to be more of a hassle, so I would point GetFPV toward toward their own policy and tell them that's what you'd like to do. Hopefully they will honor it.

Yeah, I read that. They are the ones that told me all DJI refunds or repairs had to go through DJI. They insinuated that was DJI's policy.

You could contact your credit card company for help. Since GetFPV has a return policy that appears it should handle your return, your credit company will probably reverse the charge.

FWIW, next time, buy from Amazon ;) There are a lot of authorized DJI dealers selling DJI parts on Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31