FPV options for people who wear glasses?

jpd

Reaction score
I went back a ways and didn't find another post please excuse me if there is. I'm looking for any options for FPV's that anyone with glasses are using or and I just going to have to get the Headplays?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do they make glasses (correction: goggles) for those of us who have had cataract surgery? I now have fixed lenses in my eyes and see 20/20 (better actually) at infinite focal distance. (After the surgery I became more interested in outdoor activity, because I had spent my whole life nearsighted before that.) For closer vision I need glasses. Lots of people who have had cataract surgery are exactly like me: the same correction would work.

Is anyone selling FPV goggles that have our correction, for us whose eyeballs always have uncorrected focus at infinity?

Last edited:
You need a + prescription of about 2 to 2.5 diopters
If you try a pair of "ready readers " in store and usually after cataract surgery most people can see close to them with above correction. If you are a little more longsighted an addition ie a plus lens of +3 might even be needed to see things on FPV. You should be able to get lenses on FPV like that

Reactions: linda
I went back a ways and didn't find another post please excuse me if there is. I'm looking for any options for FPV's that anyone with glasses are using or and I just going to have to get the Headplays?

Edit..The below is for VR glasses......
The Zeiss VR Ones work with glasses, just make sure the phone fits, ie. only up to iPhone 6/6s, the Plus will not fit.\
Zeiss VR ONE Bundle (including one tray)
Also, i have the Samsung VR, says not to use glasses and i was able to adjust them to a comfortable point without glasses however the Samsung VR only work with the S6, S7 and Note 5 according to their web site, i have a Note 5 and it works fine.
I also have an iPhone 6S+ so the Zeiss ones will not work for me for that,
I am also looking at a pair of these...again, they say no glasses but they appear to have some very good optical adjustmenst...
GO - ImmersiON-VRelia | Virtual Reality and these will work with pretty well any phone and the biggest samsung phones and iphones etc....

You need a + prescription of about 2 to 2.5 diopters
If you try a pair of "ready readers " in store and usually after cataract surgery most people can see close to them with above correction. If you are a little more longsighted an addition ie a plus lens of +3 might even be needed to see things on FPV. You should be able to get lenses on FPV like that

So my question is whether I can get it with the correction built into the device. It would be better than having to wear glasses and fit the fpv goggles over.

Sorry my original question was unclear because the first time I wrote "glasses" I meant "goggles".

Let me say few words here.

First of all so far 1080p FPV goggles are not available. Even Sony T3 offers 720p. I do not like VR solutions like offered by Gear VR as they reduce the resolution to half as screen gets divided for two images. That way technically 1080p phone will give 540p resolution but that may be good enough for many as that's DVD quality.

There are other goggles with built-in dual screens going upto 720p. They have been just introduced. We will have to see their quality. Some are offering adjustable vision power.

Last edited:
I shortlisted following goggles:

Oculus Rift $599
Omimo $240
Vuzix iWear $499
Avegant Glyph $700
HTC Vive $800
Moverio BT-300 $700
Studied their specs and find that most promising devices for Phantom are:
Avegant Glyph, Vuzix iWear and BT-300

Last edited:
Reactions: Skol
There seems to be some allergy here to something that works beautifully but is not expensive. Read about the Quantum V2. It is know for it's full immersion into FPV. It has an adjustable lens infront of the monitor. It does not use a cell phone. It allows people like myself to wear glasses inside the device and have fine focus. Go through the entries on Youtube and make your own decision. I love them. I fly my Phantom 1 with them and it is important to be sitting down when you use them. The impression is of being there, not just seeing out of a little window.

Reactions: artichoke
Quantum V2 is only about $50, that's something I could actually buy just to try. It even includes the screen?

Never heard of it before. And is it cheap because it uses the RC's transmit/receive capability rather than replicating that in the goggles?

I'm in a sort of disbelief. I thought this cost $1000. Now it really only costs $50?

There seems to be some allergy here to something that works beautifully but is not expensive. Read about the Quantum V2. It is know for it's full immersion into FPV. It has an adjustable lens infront of the monitor. It does not use a cell phone. It allows people like myself to wear glasses inside the device and have fine focus. Go through the entries on Youtube and make your own decision. I love them. I fly my Phantom 1 with them and it is important to be sitting down when you use them. The impression is of being there, not just seeing out of a little window.
There are two sides of the coin: one side we are working to figure out how we can get good quality googles by making changes to what's available and other side I am evaluating what's being introduced new into the market.

There are many who want to play with their hands to create new gadgets ( solutions), there are others who want to buy readymade equipment but don't want to spend more and there are few who just want the high quality goggles.

If you really see the VR output from any aftermarket products, each section will not have more than 540p resolution. So any equipment that has 540p resolution is good enough for these products.

For single screen goggles, we can go upto 720p resolutions as that is the output from P3. Right now there are two solutions for it : HeadPlay and Quanum. Both need homework to get better results.

There are goggles with two built in screens, one for each eye, MyBud, FatShark Dominator...they give 480p resolution for each eye. So in case we want to use them as a 2D goggle, we will get only 480p. Many new are coming with better resolutions up to 720p for each eye but are expensive.

If we really want to match a goggle with P3, we need at least 720p resolution.

How do you hook it up? Is there an output from the RC that it uses?

I bought the Brett 3D VR glasses on Amazon for $29.99, thinking I would have to return them when they didn't work. I have had cataract surgery and implants and need reading glasses for anything close up. I got the FPV camera app and tried the goggles mode and, surprisingly, can see the screen just fine with no glasses. The goggles are actually large enough to wear with reading glasses, but my vision is better when not using them.

I use an iPhone 6s Plus and can fly fine with this app. You have to get used to not being able to touch the screen and fly just using the RC, but it's interesting and, importantly, not expensive. Image through the goggles is quite good. I am using a P3P, and the app also has a very good mission planner.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is my home made version of FPV/LOS. The goggles attach to the RC rather than to my head. This makes it easy to switch between the two flight modes.

Attachments

• GOGGLE-D.JPG
    GOGGLE-D.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 868
Let me say few words here.

First of all so far 1080p FPV goggles are not available. Even Sony T3 offers 720p. I do not like VR solutions like offered by Gear VR as they reduce the resolution to half as screen gets divided for two images. That way technically 1080p phone will give 540p resolution but that may be good enough for many as that's DVD quality.

There are other goggles with built-in dual screens going upto 720p. They have been just introduced. We will have to see their quality. Some are offering adjustable vision power.
Edit..The below is for VR glasses......
The Zeiss VR Ones work with glasses, just make sure the phone fits, ie. only up to iPhone 6/6s, the Plus will not fit.\
Zeiss VR ONE Bundle (including one tray)
Also, i have the Samsung VR, says not to use glasses and i was able to adjust them to a comfortable point without glasses however the Samsung VR only work with the S6, S7 and Note 5 according to their web site, i have a Note 5 and it works fine.
I also have an iPhone 6S+ so the Zeiss ones will not work for me for that,
I am also looking at a pair of these...again, they say no glasses but they appear to have some very good optical adjustmenst...
GO - ImmersiON-VRelia | Virtual Reality and these will work with pretty well any phone and the biggest samsung phones and iphones etc....

This is my home made version of FPV/LOS. The goggles attach to the RC rather than to my head. This makes it easy to switch between the two flight modes.

Aren't they a bit uncomfortable ? I'm asking because I picture myself bending my back over to get my eyes to the glasses and still hold the remote control.

Not uncomfortable at all. Just a matter of moving the RC with the monitor attached.up to the eyes for FPV and dropping it down a little for LOS. Think of bringing a pair of binoculars up to the eyes and then away from the eyes.

I shortlisted following goggles:

Oculus Rift $599
Omimo $240
Vuzix iWear $499
Avegant Glyph $700
HTC Vive $800
Moverio BT-300 $700
Studied their specs and find that most promising devices for Phantom are:
Avegant Glyph, Vuzix iWear and BT-300
Finally someone with an answer!

I purchased the iwear headgear on sale for 100 bucks for the spark. Traded the spark in because 15 minutes of play time was not good enough. Purchased the P4 and totally forgot about the goggles. I haven't received the headset yet but will update this post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.