FPV goggles with Vision Plus

Reaction score
Time for another newby, misunderstanded issue!

I'm really interested in having a FPV goggles like FatShark to get a real live feed from the Phantom. But the only tutorials or info I can get around is on how to FPV with Phantom 2, which does not use the 5.8 GHz frequency and will not mess with the FatShark signal. Actually, it's pretty easy to install the TX.

Tnink I'm messing up, but can the iOSD provide any FPV link to goggles? Or only additional downlink to the Ground Station? What do I need in order to have FPV Goggles with P2V+ without messing with WiFi or RC signal?

[btw, sorry if I'm repeating a post or something - it's really hard to find something when using this forum's search engine, and google does not bring any results about V+]
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately the P2V+ uses BOTH 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz for WiFi downlink and Control respectively.
If you were to add an FPV transmitter on either of those bands you will cause interference.

You could remove or disable the Wifi module on the P2V and add an FPV camera and 2.4Ghz FPV transmitter with an iOSD. I think I've read about someone doing that.

Afik you can't access the video output from the integrated camera so you'll need to mount a separate FPV camera.
The OSD should give you the telemetry data you would lose by not having WiFi but without WiFi you will be unable to control the integrated camera in the air.

It's also possible to get an adapter for the iPhone or iPad (probably Android also) that will give you a video output compatible with some goggles that have a separate video input.

cahutch said:
Afik you can't access the video output from the integrated camera so you'll need to mount a separate FPV camera.
Not true, you can easily splice in to the video feed from the original camera viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29690

cahutch said:
It's also possible to get an adapter for the iPhone or iPad (probably Android also) that will give you a video output compatible with some goggles that have a separate video input.

M.Tigelaar said:

Yeah, I've seen some people using the FatShark HDMI input along with the iPad's HDMI output. But not sure if it's this what I want. When using the DJI Vision app, the laggy image is perfectly noticeable, while FatShark's TX does analog output and it's almost instant.

I see I've committed a mistake when buying the P2V+. It would've been much better to buy P2 with H3-3D and GoPro, then easily install FatShark in 2.4GHz. :(

Not sure if the Epson goggles are a suitable option. It's Android-powered, quite expensive and even though it's goggles, it's definitely not as immersive as FatShark or any other FPV famous brands.

dbooty said:
you can easily splice in to the video feed from the original camera viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29690

Good to know how iOSD and DJI system works. This technology is amazing!

The Fatshark (non HD) goggles are about 30-35 degrees FOV depending on whether they are V1 or V2. The Epson glasses are about 25 degrees. Neither of these numbers are what I would call immersive. If you consider something like the Oculus Rift then you are talking more like 100 degrees FOV.

The Epson glasses have the advantage that you can choose to see through them if you want meaning you can maintain LOS and FPV at the same time. They come with different shade levels to adjust the amount of transparency. Because they run the DJI app natively, it also means you don't need a tablet or phone in addition (and associated cables).

On the other hand the Fatshark HD goggles have 45 degrees FOV which is at least a bit closer to being immersive.

jonstatt said:
The Fatshark (non HD) goggles are about 30-35 degrees FOV depending on whether they are V1 or V2. The Epson glasses are about 25 degrees. Neither of these numbers are what I would call immersive. If you consider something like the Oculus Rift then you are talking more like 100 degrees FOV.

****! I was just thinking it would be sorta Oculus Rift without the accelerometer :(

A question for you all who have ever used FPV goggles: is it worth it? Do you feel like you're flying? Lol

I bought the fatshark dominator HD goggles for my inspire and they don't work very well. .
the picture is blurry even with the diopters. .
Seems to be a common problem. .
Look for the Avegant jellyfish fpv goggles to be released later this year .don't know if they work for the phantom, but they look promising for the inspire

I have not used anything but my Epson Moverios since I got them. Not only do they work very well, they will now also be in compliance with the pending FAA Part 107 rules for line of sight. To fly without them now is the exact same thing as looking down from your windshield as you drive to see your cell phone screen. The time your eyes are off the road or your quad, a lot of things have moved. If you are serious about getting a video shot AND keeping control of your aircraft, you need these.

Jetfixer said:
I have not used anything but my Epson Moverios since I got them. Not only do they work very well, they will now also be in compliance with the pending FAA Part 107 rules for line of sight. To fly without them now is the exact same thing as looking down from your windshield as you drive to see your cell phone screen. The time your eyes are off the road or your quad, a lot of things have moved. If you are serious about getting a video shot AND keeping control of your aircraft, you need these.

What I find interesting and rather odd, is that the lag and frame rate on the Moverios is better than on my Galaxy Note 4! The Moverios are expensive but I agree that they are well worth it. There is a dedicated version of the app in the Moverio app store, but it does have some bugs, such as the fact that ground control bombs out if you try and access that screen.

jonstatt said:
What I find interesting and rather odd, is that the lag and frame rate on the Moverios is better than on my Galaxy Note 4! The Moverios are expensive but I agree that they are well worth it. There is a dedicated version of the app in the Moverio app store, but it does have some bugs, such as the fact that ground control bombs out if you try and access that screen.

But to be fair Epson have said they are working with a 3rd party app developer to remedy this, Just hope it is soon. Either that or they update the Android version number so that the excellent DJI Ultimate Flight app can be used with them

Forget about my last reply - Moverios look pretty nice! Would you guys recommend it? How's the lag?

I have the Dominator V2's and I'm pretty happy. I use an iPhone 6 with a Lightning to HDMI adapter. The image quality is quite good and it's immersive. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Dominator HDs at some point.

I also considered whether I should have got the H4-3D + GoPro instead... what puts me off that is:

* It's a lot of work to set it up and put it all together. You need to buy and install FPV equipment, antennas, iOSD, etc.
* It makes the quad and the ground station part heavier (video TX, video RX, GoPro is heavy, H4-3D is heavier, etc. etc.)
* You can't control the shutter and video recording remotely if you take the GoPro route. I know you can use the GoPro app and WiFi but the range on that is going to be terrible.

For me, the convenience of the P2V+ being lightweight, working out of the box, and having integrated camera and video shutter control for lining up shots and editing 'on the fly', far outweighs the slight improvement in video quality (most video ends up being recompressed by Facebook or YouTube anyway at the end of the day) and slight reduction in FPV latency you get with a GoPro (the GoPro's video output is delayed).

The P2V+'s camera will likely get a lot better in future versions too, so I think the P2V+ route is a better long-term investment...

CloudsNeverDie said:
I have the Dominator V2's and I'm pretty happy. I use an iPhone 6 with a Lightning to HDMI adapter. The image quality is quite good and it's immersive. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Dominator HDs at some point.

I also considered whether I should have got the H4-3D + GoPro instead... what puts me off that is:

* It's a lot of work to set it up and put it all together. You need to buy and install FPV equipment, antennas, iOSD, etc.
* It makes the quad and the ground station part heavier (video TX, video RX, GoPro is heavy, H4-3D is heavier, etc. etc.)
* You can't control the shutter and video recording remotely if you take the GoPro route. I know you can use the GoPro app and WiFi but the range on that is going to be terrible.

For me, the convenience of the P2V+ being lightweight, working out of the box, and having integrated camera and video shutter control for lining up shots and editing 'on the fly', far outweighs the slight improvement in video quality (most video ends up being recompressed by Facebook or YouTube anyway at the end of the day) and slight reduction in FPV latency you get with a GoPro (the GoPro's HDMI output is delayed).

The P2V+'s camera will likely get a lot better in future versions too, so I think the P2V+ route is a better long-term investment...

Good idea to use Dominator's HDMI input with iPhone's output - might become my option. I'm complaining a little bit about the image size. Do you get it "fullscreen" or is it a little centered mirror which leaves black spaces in corners? Also, do you get nice flights? The lag on Vision app often confuses me.
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about this, since I can't really know what it feels like.

gfo315 said:
Good idea to use Dominator's HDMI input with iPhone's output - might become my option. I'm complaining a little bit about the image size. Do you get it "fullscreen" or is it a little centered mirror which leaves black spaces in corners? Also, do you get nice flights? The lag on Vision app often confuses me.
I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about this, since I can't really know what it feels like.

A picture is worth 1000 words, so I took a couple of photos looking through the lens of my Dominator V2 at the iPhone 6 screen using the HDMI output. You can see that the iPhone 6 screen doesn't completely fill the little display in the goggles, there's a thin black border on the left and right maybe 3% wide, and there are black bars at the top and bottom maybe 10% each. It's still pretty good in my opinion, though the image quality leaves something to be desired which is why I'm thinking of upgrading to the HDs. The field of view is 30 degrees, which feels pretty immersive to me.

I do get nice flights. Yes, there's definitely lag on the Vision app. At close range it's maybe 100-200ms at most, but it gets worse as you fly further away. At 2000 feet it can be up to 1000ms delayed. It never really bothers me to be honest, you get used to it quickly, the whole feel of the P2V+ is a stable aerial photography platform rather than a fast FPV quad and if you're flying it gentle and careful you only really notice the lag when yawing. I'm going to add FPVLR Stage 2 at some point, I'm hoping that will help with the lag at greater distances.

Attachments

• P2240002.jpg
    P2240002.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 660
  • P2240007.jpg
    P2240007.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 694
CloudsNeverDie said:
A picture is worth 1000 words, so I took a couple of photos looking through the lens of my Dominator V2 at the iPhone 6 screen using the HDMI output. You can see that the iPhone 6 screen doesn't completely fill the little display in the goggles, there's a thin black border on the left and right maybe 3% wide, and there are black bars at the top and bottom maybe 10% each. It's still pretty good in my opinion, though the image quality leaves something to be desired which is why I'm thinking of upgrading to the HDs. The field of view is 30 degrees, which feels pretty immersive to me.

I do get nice flights. Yes, there's definitely lag on the Vision app. At close range it's maybe 100-200ms at most, but it gets worse as you fly further away. At 2000 feet it can be up to 1000ms delayed. It never really bothers me to be honest, you get used to it quickly, the whole feel of the P2V+ is a stable aerial photography platform rather than a fast FPV quad and if you're flying it gentle and careful you only really notice the lag when yawing. I'm going to add FPVLR Stage 2 at some point, I'm hoping that will help with the lag at greater distances.

Thank you so much for the info. Appreciate it a lot man. Definitely looking forward to use same setup as yours.

I bought the Zeiss cinemizer, they're plugged in via hdmi to mhl connector to my note 4. I'm not quite happy with the results, it's not really immersive, the video quality is poor (to be expected since the max fpv resolution is 640x480 anyway). On top of that, the dji vision app is pretty terrible, the fpv video can't be set to full screen, it feels like such a waste of screen estate.

I believe if you really want immersive fpv, you're going to have to wait for some occulus-like goggles to be released one day (probably won't happen on the phantom 2 eh).

vico36 said:
I bought the Zeiss cinemizer, they're plugged in via hdmi to mhl connector to my note 4. I'm not quite happy with the results, it's not really immersive, the video quality is poor (to be expected since the max fpv resolution is 640x480 anyway). On top of that, the dji vision app is pretty terrible, the fpv video can't be set to full screen, it feels like such a waste of screen estate.

I believe if you really want immersive fpv, you're going to have to wait for some occulus-like goggles to be released one day (probably won't happen on the phantom 2 eh).

That's what I always say: Vision App could be way better, including tablet version, fullscreen, etc. DJI doesn't really care about this.

Only way to get fully immersive experience and feel like you're flying is to use 5.8GHz analog goggles like FatShark or Skyzone that provide [almost] instant image feedback and fullscreen.
But as we can't because of RC frequency, CloudsNeverDie's Dominator V2 with HDMI seem to be the best option.
EDIT: Plus, you can reuse these goggles if you decide to change aircraft or something, because they can work @ 5.8GHz with antennas.

If you want full screen FPV, you should try the "FPV Booster" app for iOS. It has an excellent "FPV Camera" add-on module available for purchase, and you can configure it to show the video preview in full screen mode. It also has an amazing "navigation map" feature. So cool!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4