FPV distance loss with RotorPixel Gimbal

Reaction score
Guys I'm a newbie and have only had my P2V for a few months. I'm considering getting a RotorPixel Gimbal which seems like an amazing addition to the P2V and I was wondering how much the FPV transmission is affected without any modifications to the P2V. As I said I'm a newbie and have read the entire RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion thread and would not feel comfortable with making some of antennae mods mentioned. Also without any of the antennae mods how much does adding the RE700 WiFi extender help out? Lastly I'm not looking to get extreme distance enhancements to the P2V just keeping what I have out of the box (for now at least ;-).

Hi Mike Drone7, welcome to the forum buddy;)

I've got a RPG which I installed a couple of months ago, great piece of kit.
my PV2 is all stock so no upgrade parts & the range I get is about 1300 plus ft.
Take a look at the link below at my screen shot;)

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/distance-and-height-personal-best.42503/page-2

I could have gone further but well.... All I'm going to say is I needed the toilet....:eek:
I know a lot of the guys on here have upgraded things but just to reassure you mine is standard, no mods & I'm very happy with the range.

At a later stage you can upgrade things but that's up to you;)

Hi Porky,

Thanks for the response it is much appreciated and it convinced me to place my order for a RPG!

Also thanks for the newbie advice and the other post has been deleted.

BTW I'm from a small town north of Philadelphia and I enjoy taking holidays to the UK. It feels very homey to me and I have made many trips to your lovely country beginning with a 3 month stay back in the 80s after college. I passed the anglophile gene to my daughter and during spring break of her last year of college I took her on a whirlwind tour via car (1,500 miles in two and a half weeks) from London all along the east coast up to Inverness and then down the west coast all the way to Penzance (wish I had a drone back in those days). She also attended King's College for a semester and got engaged in Galway. Actually she is heading to London with her husband next month for 8 days. Sorry for the ramble and thank you for the warm welcome!

Cheers and thanks again!

Mike with the RPG you basically are gonna lose 1 antenna in your 2.4 ..FPV.. as it's covered by the gimbal . The RE700 is going to help you
go farther but when you yaw to the left you might lose FPV for a second .
Just be sure you are sure you have your HP set and your RTH set high enough if you were to lose contact it would clear all obstacles
between you and the bird if it was to go into RTH .
I always check my HL every time I go up to be sure it knows where home is ! When I do lose FPV when going long I just HL it back till I get it back .
OH...watch Porky..he talks funny :D

still waiting Dirk, didnt realise that site Helipal ships out of HongKong, should be here soon thou, miss going out and flyin lol
Ya I know what you mean ! I'm still waiting on those black dampeners I got from there for the RPG :rolleyes:

Dirk and Squid thanks for your responses I really appreciate all the input I can get. As I said I'm pretty new and have been flying/learning with the Syma X5C and X8C since January and picked up the P2V in April. Still earning my wings on the P2V but what a pleasure it is to fly! I wish I would have purchased it sooner. As far as distance goes I have kept to line of sight and have only gone vertically about 600 feet and up to 250 feet. Had the WOBBLE of DEATH coming down from 250' before I even knew what it was and dumb luck saved me because I moved laterally to avoid coming down into a neighbors house and got control again at about 25 feet. Scared the crap out of me and didn't fly again until I found out what the hell happened and how to avoid/recover from it here on Drone Pilots.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi Porky,

Thanks for the response it is much appreciated and it convinced me to place my order for a RPG!

Also thanks for the newbie advice and the other post has been deleted.

BTW I'm from a small town north of Philadelphia and I enjoy taking holidays to the UK. It feels very homey to me and I have made many trips to your lovely country beginning with a 3 month stay back in the 80s after college. I passed the anglophile gene to my daughter and during spring break of her last year of college I took her on a whirlwind tour via car (1,500 miles in two and a half weeks) from London all along the east coast up to Inverness and then down the west coast all the way to Penzance (wish I had a drone back in those days). She also attended King's College for a semester and got engaged in Galway. Actually she is heading to London with her husband next month for 8 days. Sorry for the ramble and thank you for the warm welcome!

Cheers and thanks again!
Your more than welcome my friend;) happy flying;)

Porky, Squid and Dirk I was wondering how you guys have dealt with the low ground clearance with the RPG. I'm anxiously waiting on the latest production run to ship and I ordered a set of snap on 30 mm landing gear risers that will help give a bit of protection on a hard landing but was curious if you guys have any other ideas. Thanks again for your responses and warm welcome to the community.

Porky, Squid and Dirk I was wondering how you guys have dealt with the low ground clearance with the RPG. I'm anxiously waiting on the latest production run to ship and I ordered a set of snap on 30 mm landing gear risers that will help give a bit of protection on a hard landing but was curious if you guys have any other ideas. Thanks again for your responses and warm welcome to the community.
Mike I got the Plus skids and also have the spacers for my FPVLR's to hang from and mine clears just fine . Now I don't have the filter holder on no more but those skids are higher so me good :)

Reactions: Clampit
Mike,

All I upgraded was the black pads on the bottom of the legs, got the rubber from a hardware store, cut to size & hey presto;) this gives me about 10mm gap, camera to ground & that's with the filter kit attached toooooo;)

image.jpg

Reactions: Clampit
Right I've got a problem with some plumbing at home can ya help:p
What ya cooking for supper bro o_O Don't say pork nether :eek:[/QUOTE]
Breakfast buddy, early morning here in the UK :D Pork.... Pork..... Nah tastes fail I'm not a cannibal, think that's how ya spell it;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl