FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Thanks!

Just ordered the one I linked above and I'm already waiting for a pair of Cinemizer OLED goggles so these items together with the new Android version of the app discussed in this thread and the new DJI firmware I don't know what more you could ask for ;)

We will implement a new "Smart Boost" feature in the upcoming Android FPV Booster V2.1. The new Smart Boost helps to maintain a stable boosting FPV signal at distance.

This time, we add new feature to Android version prior iOS. Hope those Android fans don't complain next time if we add new feature to iOS prior Android.

PVFlyer said:
We will implement a new "Smart Boost" feature in the upcoming Android FPV Booster V2.1. The new Smart Boost helps to maintain a stable boosting FPV signal at distance.

Sounds really cool!

So will this new feature continuously monitor the quality/strength of the WiFi signal and dynamically and automatically boost it in real-time whenever needed?

Re: CH-7 Enabler Challenge

victor said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if all we want is to have the ch7 tilt control done by lever on the remote instead of the app, is'nt it just a simple matter of disabling/bypassing that specific control in the vision+ app (since only when the vision app is started is when it overides the lever control)? Why is telemetry affected?
We implemented a filter to scan through all commands sending from the Vision app to P2V+ aircraft for enabling CH-7 control. It's not one-off process, but the app keep sending series of commands to P2V+ and P2V+ keeps responding to the app. These commands are probably with time stamps in the app. If the app cannot receive expected responses within X ms/μs, it may show incorrect data or N/A. The filter scanning process delays a tiny bit (~0.1ms) of the commands/responses flowing back to the app, and cause the app displaying N/A occasionally. The longer delay, the higher chance to get N/A.

Anyway, DJI will support CH-7 officially in the next FW update, which should resolve all these issues. Fingers crossed :D

sbarton said:
In your app, can you also include the ability for the phone to continuously scan for WiFi if not connected in order for it to re-connect faster once the Phantom is back in range after the WiFi signal is lost for while?
Right now most phones will scan right away when it loses connection, but then will only scan at certain intervals in order to save battery.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24071

-Scott
I think you probably missed the point here.

P2V+ is an AP and RE700 is a repeater, and your phone is connecting to the repeater. If P2V+ out fly the range, then P2V+/repeater connection drop, and repeater is unable to repeat anything hence repeater/phone connection drop as well. When P2V+ fly back within range, it might not be able to reconnect the repeater immediately somehow (many reasons behind). Without P2V+/repeater connection to allow broadcasting SSID from the repeater, it does not help your phone re-connection regardless how fast/frequent of scanning Wifi signal from your phone.

Anyway, a new upcoming Smart Boost capability of FPV Booster should help to improve in this case.

I get the AP vs repeater thing. But if the P2V+ goes out of range and repeater can't get WiFi the phone no longer sees the SSID, and drops that connection even though repeater is still in range. It scans for a bit but if the SSID isn't back up in that time, the phone will stop scanning to save battery. Let's say the phone defaults to scanning for 10 seconds every minute. The P2V+ could have come back in range and made connection with the repeater right after the phone stopped scanning so the phone won't know about it for up to a minute when it starts scanning again. That's way too long.
If instead the the app makes the phone scan constantly when it's not connected, as soon as the repeater gets signal from P2V+ and brings back up the SSID the phone will then try go connect right away. No waiting until the next scan interval.

What I'd like to do is minimize the time from when the repeater brings the SSID back up and the time the phone reconnects to it.

Take a look at how the App WiFi Analyzer works. It has a setting to adjust the scan interval while the app is open. Looking for similar functionality while your app is open.

sbarton said:
I get the AP vs repeater thing. But if the P2V+ goes out of range and repeater can't get WiFi the phone no longer sees the SSID, and drops that connection even though repeater is still in range. It scans for a bit but if the SSID isn't back up in that time, the phone will stop scanning to save battery. Let's say the phone defaults to scanning for 10 seconds every minute. The P2V+ could have come back in range and made connection with the repeater right after the phone stopped scanning so the phone won't know about it for up to a minute when it starts scanning again. That's way too long.
If instead the the app makes the phone scan constantly when it's not connected, as soon as the repeater gets signal from P2V+ and brings back up the SSID the phone will then try go connect right away. No waiting until the next scan interval.

What I'd like to do is minimize the time from when the repeater brings the SSID back up and the time the phone reconnects to it.

Take a look at how the App WiFi Analyzer works. It has a setting to adjust the scan interval while the app is open. Looking for similar functionality while your app is open.
I know well about Wifi Analyzer, and have been using it for years.

Our booster app can be quit after boosted the aircraft, and it does NOT run in the background. Thus, it wouldn’t be able to monitor Wifi connection and set Wifi scan interval.

The best way to avoid your phone connection issue is to keep the Wifi network connected. “Phantom Connection Broken” may or may not mean Wifi connection broken. Once you see this message, fly back in range ASAP to avoid connection dropped.

There's a very powerful app called Tasker where you can do pretty much anything you could dream of. Maybe you would be able to use that app to have your smartphone increase how often it will check for a nearby/known WiFi network to connect to whenever you're flying.

Put very simply you create tasks to do certain things and profiles that will be used to decide when a task should be executed. So in this case you could crate a profile based on whether the DJI Vision app is running and whenever it is a task will be executed that will have your smartphone scan for known/nearby WiFi networks more aggressively and when you quit the DJI Vision app the WiFi scan interval will be returned to it's default setting.

PVFlyer said:
rbarghini said:
PVFlyer,

I recently downloaded your booster app and achieved a distance of 3,917.4 ft away and an altitude of 1,825.5 ft... all while maintaining a solid FPV connection. I could've gone higher and further out but reached my distance limitation that I set. No mods whatsoever (bone stock P2V+). My Preview was set at 640 x 480 15fps.
That's a great range in dense urban area. :shock: Please keep us posted your results after setting distance limit. I bet it may out-fly 5.8G control link and trigger RTH. You probably don't need 1800ft altitude even for longer range.

Fly safe! :)

PVFyler,

I changed my distance limit to 1 mile and achieved a distance of 4,582.9 ft and still had a solid FPV connection. I didn't lose control signal. I guess I could've gone further out - but perhaps another night. My Preview was set at 640 x 480 15fps.

Attachments

• photo1.PNG
    photo1.PNG
    358.2 KB · Views: 452
rbarghini said:
PVFyler,

I changed my distance limit to 1 mile and achieved a distance of 4,582.9 ft and still had a solid FPV connection. I didn't lose control signal. I guess I could've gone further out - but perhaps another night. My Preview was set at 640 x 480 15fps.
Glad to see you push the limit a bit farther in urban area, while 1 mile limit is 5,280 ft. You are very close to our top-10 scoreboard in the OP. I'm pretty sure you will have a record in the scoreboard soon or later.

Happy flying :D

PVFlyer said:
An alpha tester helped to test the new Smart Boost feature in the past weekend. After flying 4 batteries, he reported back such Smart Boost working very well as expected. We will implement the Smart Boost feature together with interference control algorithm to the upcoming FPV Booster V2.1 for Android.

very good news..cant wait to see this in action. thanks for the update, Tony.

tizzl10 said:
PVFlyer said:
An alpha tester helped to test the new Smart Boost feature in the past weekend. After flying 4 batteries, he reported back such Smart Boost working very well as expected. We will implement the Smart Boost feature together with interference control algorithm to the upcoming FPV Booster V2.1 for Android.

very good news..cant wait to see this in action. thanks for the update, Tony.
When we out fly FPV range, we get Phantom Connection Broken message. In many occasions, (1) it takes tens of seconds to reconnect the network even we fly back in range (2) may need to fly a lot closer in order to reconnect the network (3) may never be able to reconnect until landing & power cycle.

Smart Boost is going to shorten reconnection time, say within 5 seconds per reported back from the tester, when out fly FPV range then fly back in range.

PVFlyer said:
rbarghini said:
PVFyler,

Glad to see you push the limit a bit farther in urban area, while 1 mile limit is 5,280 ft. You are very close to our top-10 scoreboard in the OP. I'm pretty sure you will have a record in the scoreboard soon or later.

PVFlyer,

Here's my record so far, 5,069.7 ft distance. I need to change my distance limit again and perhaps I can go even further. My Preview was set at 640 x 480 15fps - still had a solid FPV connection.

Attachments

• photo2.PNG
    photo2.PNG
    500.3 KB · Views: 475
rbarghini said:
PVFlyer said:
rbarghini said:
PVFyler,

PVFlyer,

Here's my record so far, 5,069.7 ft distance. I need to change my distance limit again and perhaps I can go even further. My Preview was set at 640 x 480 15fps - still had a solid FPV connection.
Well done! :D I have updated your record to FPV Booster Top-10 Range Scoreboard in the OP as below, and you are ranking #10. I assume you are using iOS booster app V2 (correct me if I'm wrong).

1. LMC: 12,029ft / 3,667m (iOS V2, 640x480/15fps, 2014-06-29)
2. tizzl10: 10,840ft / 3,305 (iOS V1, 640x480/15fps, 2014-06-02)
3. M.Tigelaar: 8,531ft / 2,601m (iOS V2, 640x480/15fps, 2014-08-22)
4. nhoover: 7,419ft / 2,262m (Android V1, 320x240/15fps)
5. sigwameister: 6,534ft / 1,992m (Android V1, 640x480/15fps)
6. neoneo: 6,245ft / 1,904m (Android V1, 320x240/15fps)
7. kescot: 6,144ft / 1873m (Android V1, 640x480/15fps)
8. Alib: 6,101ft / 1,860m (iOS V1, 640x480/15fps)
9. Mossie: 5,278ft / 1,609m (iOS V1, 640x480/30fps)
10. rbarghini: 5,070ft / 1,546m (iOS V2, 640x480/15fps)

I can see your aircraft is way off from the radar, probably is just due to taking a screen shot. You may need to aim the aircraft and keep it at 12 o'clock in the radar for maximum antenna/repeater gain.

rbarghini said:

Really impressive as someone else said being at that altitude and distance with 80% battery left!! Guess to be able to achieve that you take off at the very second after you started the P2 and then immediately fly straight up and forward?

Maybe you already mentioned this in a previous post so sorry if I missed that but are you using stock antennas?

WebMaximus said:
rbarghini said:

Really impressive as someone else said being at that altitude and distance with 80% battery left!! Guess to be able to achieve that you take off at the very second after you started the P2 and then immediately fly straight up and forward?

Maybe you already mentioned this in a previous post so sorry if I missed that but are you using stock antennas?

Hi WebMaximus,

Yes, however, on this particular flight it took my P2V+ roughly 5 minutes to obtain 7 satellites and then I took off (straight up and forward). Yes, I am using stock antennas.

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj