FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Software Boosted Vision+ DOUBLE FPV Range

midwestjeff said:
Anyone notice any difference in wifi connectivity and image quality of FPV between devices? My iPhone 5s is too small... My iPad mini is too big.. The picture is so crappy on the iPad mini that it's not worth using. My parents have a Nexus 7 they never use so I'm thinking about borrowing that but if it is the same as the iPad mini it's not worth it.

The Preview Quality is direct related to FPV range, due to the relationship of Wifi bandwidth required and SN ratio. In short, the higher Preview Quality, the shorter FPV range.

For my FPV, 7" tablet is a good fit to 640x480, while 320x240 is blurry.

midwestjeff said:
Anyone notice any difference in wifi connectivity and image quality of FPV between devices? My iPhone 5s is too small... My iPad mini is too big.. The picture is so crappy on the iPad mini that it's not worth using. My parents have a Nexus 7 they never use so I'm thinking about borrowing that but if it is the same as the iPad mini it's not worth it.
I use the ipad mini with retina and haven't noticed any video quality issues. Video is same as my Iphone 5. I can't imagine the video would look any better on the Nexus. I think the bottle neck in quality is in the resolution of the video feed to the device which I would have to assume is way below what the retina is capable of. If you do find out otherwise be sure and let us know.

iOS only
Thanks for all your contributions to this forum

A. IOS only.

Though, as someone mentioned earlier, i could get an older android device to run it for fpv only if this app does what is'supposed to, even without adding any antennas or other mods.

I Used my ipad air for FpV and it does work though DJI says it's not really supported. Not really convenient though cos i dont have anything to fix it on the controller yet.
I use fpv mainly to have a rough idea of the angle i'm shooting, i dont care if it's crappy quality as long as i have a framing idea. A longer range would be welcome though.

Blessed be the geeks who will always find a way to enhance what others created. You guys could do the Magic Lantern of the Phantom. :)

Keep up with the good work !

midwestjeff said:

Yes there is a reduction in the perceived image quality when moving up to larger screen devices. The reason for that is you're upping the size of an image without increasing resolution. It's no different than opening a picture on your device. It may look okay but once you zoom in you start seeing it granulate as you see the individual pixels.

In terms of 7" devices, they are not all created equal as far as it actually utilizing all of the display. The Nexus 7 while a great device is especially bad. It uses a lot of the screen for the on screen Home back buttoms. Samsung 7" displays allow you to a noticably larger image with the same or even slightly smaller sized device. The one side benifit though to the Nexus 7 using less of the display is it does help improve the perceived image quality a bit as it's using less of the display.

The best size device for the 640x480 preview quality is what I've seen on my friends HTC one with a 4.7" IPS display. It looks great, it's as sharp as the iPhone's display with just enough extra size to make the FPV experience that much more enjoyable. I do use my Nexus 7 when I want the larger screen FPV experience but will be dumping that for my FPV Vision use when the larger screened iPhone 6 becomes available.

I don't understand , my iPad mini retina screen is very good , very sharp and detailed
As good as my iphone 5 , just bigger.

Mori55 said:
I don't understand , my iPad mini retina screen is very good , very sharp and detailed
As good as my iphone 5 , just bigger.

That doesnt mean a thing.

If you have a video formatted for a low resolution and you are making it full screen on a BIG screen, it will look crappy.
Best and easiest example.

Go to youtube, find any video and force it to be 360p. While in 360p, make it full screen.
It will look like crap.

Now take it off of full screen, but keep it at 360p. It looks a lot better, just smaller.

Maybe I'm dense but the op was talking about his fpv screen . As I said looking at my screen while flying it looks very good with my mini. I'm flying with all stock settings.My preview settings are 640x480 15fps. If thats what your talking about. Sorry I really don't know much about camera settings.

I basically managed to boost the power of Vision+ aircraft. However, there seems a parameter residing in the stock repeater RE700 limiting the distance. The limit is around 1.4 KM per multiple range tests, regardless how much power I boosted (5X or 10X power).

I have some ideas to tweak with such limit though. I need my friend to help coding these tweaks in the app.

PVFlyer said:
I basically managed to boost the power of Vision+ aircraft. However, there seems a parameter residing in the stock repeater RE700 limiting the distance. The limit is around 1.4 KM per multiple range tests, regardless how much power I boosted (5X or 10X power).

I have some ideas to tweak with such limit though. I need my friend to help coding these tweaks in the app.
What do you mean, that if it gets to 1.4kmit will automaticly stop? o_O
Well 1.4 km is already really good. And i guess boosting a bit more so it retains solid connection until 1.4km is nice.
What does it do at 1.4km? Drop the video or just tell it to come back?

Maybe you can already release versions 1.0 and work on other versions later^^

PVFlyer said:

GO GO GO ! :D

Would love to hear how you're getting in via SSH. I can SSH to the repeater on 192.168.1.2 but don't know the username & password. Is this information posted somewhere? I'm sure more help would make this go faster ;)

PVFlyer said:

That limit is set by connecting to the Phantom assistant software thru USB.... you can change both max altitude and max radius

Flight_Limits_1st.jpg

DBS said:
PVFlyer said:

That limit is set by connecting to the Phantom assistant software thru USB.... you can change both max altitude and max radius

Flight_Limits_1st.jpg

Can it be turned off completely?

In my opinion based on observation only, and after 60 odd flights this past couple weeks:

The power output of the extender is being AUTOMATICALLY adjusted by something (thus dynamic).. and it sometimes fails to be reduced (immediately) once it has been increased and you return closer to home position. I see this as the effect of FPV video corruption on the device.. but it eventually clears up (once the power is reduced)

ergo, if the power is too high, and your range is reduced, the FPV video corrupts until the power output goes back down.

which is why I've always thought it doubtful that there is any proven benefit to having a battery connected to the Extender to constantly have it at 100% charge.

borgqueenx said:
PVFlyer said:

Well 1.4 km is already really good. And i guess boosting a bit more so it retains solid connection until 1.4km is nice.

I meant the 2.4G Wifi FPV video dropped at around 1.4 KM. 5.8G control link worked fine and I set Max Radius to 6000m since day one when I got my bird.

PVFlyer said:
Can it be turned off completely?

Not sure... I set mine at 100 miles and it accepted it ... I don't think we'll need more than that ... unless somebody comes out with a WAY bigger battery :ugeek:

PVFlyer said:
borgqueenx said:
PVFlyer said:

I meant the 2.4G Wifi FPV video dropped at around 1.4 KM. 5.8G control link worked fine and I set Max Radius to 6000m since day one when I got my bird.
I would say its good enough^^
Try to increase power so that it stays stable until that 1.4km and doesn't cut off or lag in a town with a little bit interference.

I wonder is there anybody made (or plan to make) antenna mod on the stock repeater RE700. If you did, what's FPV range you get? I usually use third-party repeater and helical antenna for long range flight, and easily get 2-3 KM range without problem on FPV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl