FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Software Boosted Vision+ DOUBLE FPV Range

Battery life? I'm pretty sure increasing from 10 to 40 will be invisible. Maybe 1 min max.
What i am curious about....Is why dji did not do this.

And i would really like this on cydia. Maybe we could even implement this in the official app.
Edit: we can. If it is a temporary fix that applies, all we need to do is rename the executable file of the app, replace it with the settings chancer, then tell that settings executable to start the real executable. Would be invisible to the user, exept for a bit longer startup time for the app.

DBS said:
borgqueenx said:

DJI has rules to follow or risk losing sales in many countries that have limits set for wifi broadcast ...
Are those limits really 10? We have 100mW in most of Europe. (20dBi)
But i would'nt care increasing that to 30 xD

Just saw the video of post nr1 of this topic.
I have to say it gets pretty stuttery at the increased range. Did you test 30 or 40 instead of 20?
Any plans making this for cydia?

borgqueenx said:
DBS said:
borgqueenx said:

DJI has rules to follow or risk losing sales in many countries that have limits set for wifi broadcast ...
Are those limits really 10? We have 100mW in most of Europe. (20dBi)
But i would'nt care increasing that to 30 xD

I thought you guys have 100mw limit on inside the home router ... but outside transmitter is far less... France, for example, has a 10mW limit that killed us with the AR Drone.

I can only find 100mw is the max. Nothing else about indoor/outdoor differences.

For me personally, an iOS version on the Appstore would be ideal. Otherwise, I'd have to do something like buy an android on craigslist, connect, run the program, then hook up with the iPhone.

Sounds like he's doing some really good work.

PVFlyer said:
jalpert said:
Question. The app on the phone tells the WiFi extender to boost the power, correct? Why even write the program for the phone? Write the program so it runs in Windows, that way everyone can access it. Most people would boost the power and leave it is my guess, probably not a big deal that it doesn't work in the field.

Also, the settings stick, correct? Or do you have to re-boost on power cycle? If it's just a one and done, I'm sure I can find someone with an android device I can borrow. If the settings disappear when you turn the extender off, I won't jailbreak my iPhone, I need to be on the latest version.

The app should be able to boost the repeater in the same way, while it has the same Wifi chipset running the same version of OpenWrt. We tried to direct update the firmware, but it was very risky especially during FW upgrade. We messed a few Vision camera (not Vision+) previously.

The current approach is a lot safer. All the required settings are stored in the app. When power on the aircraft, simply open the app and apply the settings to the aircraft. When power off, all settings are reset as default values. In case I need to send it back to DJI within warranty period, FW would look exact the same as stock FW.

This is just a standard app, and I do NOT need to jailbreak or root my iOS/Android devices. I rooted my Nexus 7 was due to I wanted to run some other apps.

I had spent days convincing my friend to put this app on both Google Play and App Store, and charge several bucks each. This is WAAAAY cheaper and easier than any hardware mod, as well as eliminating all the hassles of adding/replacing 2.4G antenna, amplifier, high power repeater, pigtail cable, drilling, soldering, etc.

For mid-range pilots flying within 1.5KM (stock setup is 700-800m), no hardware or antenna mod is required. For those long range pilots (like myself), I can double my 3KM FPV range to 6KM without requiring skew planar antenna or amplifier mods on the aircraft, and stay within legal EIRP at ground station. Any hardware mod on the aircraft will shorten battery life due to extra weight and/or power consumption.

My friend's key concerns are testing (he doesn't own a Vision+) and support, while most of programmers usually prefer hiding and working behind screen alone. I promised him that I can take care part of the support through forums and willing to be an alpha tester of this apps. Let's see how it goes in the coming few days.

Again, the app store will be difficult. Why not simply put it in the cydia store. No need for permissions or approval.
Then the hassle of putting it in the app store can come later.
In cydia you can also make it a tweak for the app itself like i said, and not a stand alone app.

I will probaly buy the + in a month. I could help tests then.

I will have no problems paying around 5 usd if it works well.

Because it probably won't be worth his time. Only a really small portion of iOS users are jailbroken.

That's the thing, if he wants to make money, and he's more than entitled to do so, there are other factors like support he will have to deal with. He could also just release it for free, then he wouldn't have to worry about support.

If he's really not interested, he can post what he knows and either someone else will move forward or they won't.

I wouldn't mind paying, I think $5 is a good number, but if he's onto something, I wouldn't want to see it Android jailbreak only and kept a secret.

borgqueenx said:
Again, the app store will be difficult. Why not simply put it in the cydia store. No need for permissions or approval.
In cydia you can also make it a tweak for the app itself like i said, and not a stand alone app.

jalpert said:
Because it probably won't be worth his time. Only a really small portion of iOS users are jailbroken.

That's the thing, if he wants to make money, and he's more than entitled to do so, there are other factors like support he will have to deal with. He could also just release it for free, then he wouldn't have to worry about support.

If he's really not interested, he can post what he knows and either someone else will move forward or they won't.

I wouldn't mind paying, I think $5 is a good number, but if he's onto something, I wouldn't want to see it Android jailbreak only and kept a secret.

borgqueenx said:

and thats the thing. put your exact app in the cydia store, and done. no difficult and time-consuming processess.
Then you can work on getting it in the app store. You don't have to edit code or something. Just make a repo, copy paste it there and let cydia handle it.
If you want to make it a tweak, infused into the real app, then its different and will be time consuming as well, although probaly not alot.

I would also do a bit research if youre allowed to ask money. i know jailbreaks/hacking/modding is allowed and releasing chances in software is also allowed. BUT...this messes with stuff that you can chance wich makes the drone exceeding wifi maximum power limit by law, and it would be paid.
I doubt you will get in trouble by this, but still do a bit of research. It's probaly no problem and the responsibility lies with the user.

srandall25 said:
Any chance on getting in the Cydia store for those of us who have jailbroken iPhones? Also, assuming this was available on the iPhone, could we use the iPhone app to increase wifi signal strength and still use an iPad for the actual FPV at the same time?

I can use any iOS/Android device for running the booster, regardless the same or different device for FPV, as long as connecting to the same Wifi network and able to access the aircraft 192.168.1.1.

PVFlyer said:
srandall25 said:
Any chance on getting in the Cydia store for those of us who have jailbroken iPhones? Also, assuming this was available on the iPhone, could we use the iPhone app to increase wifi signal strength and still use an iPad for the actual FPV at the same time?

I can use any iOS/Android device for running the booster, regardless the same or different device for FPV, as long as connecting to the same Wifi network and able to access the aircraft 192.168.1.1.
You can use any ios device because you can probaly easily install his quick coded app because you signed your ios device?
For non-jailbroken users, thing's will get difficult.
You need the app from the app store or the device signed to receive/install the code.

borgqueenx said:
You can use any ios device because you can probaly easily install his quick coded app because you signed your ios device?
You need the app from the app store or the device signed to receive/install the code.

Not really. For my testing purpose, I simply downloaded an adhoc build (with my iPhone's UDID) and installed it on my non-JB iPhone 5S. Installing Android APK is always easier though.

just decode the udt packets on top of the udp layer n extract the video stream

PVFlyer said:
A friend of mine (software developer) helped me to custom build an Android app for boosting my Vision+ Wifi signal strength. Holy cow! It ended up DOUBLE the FPV range by a single click even when my Vision+ was still in the air. It does not need to power cycle/reboot the Vision+, and boost the Wifi signal strength immediately. In general, I would prefer to boost the Wifi well before take off, while boosting in the air was to demonstrate no power cycle required.

My FPV range test setup below:
- Stock Vision+ aircraft
- Stock RE700 range extender
- 5.8G Transmitter (came with P2V not Vision+) with 11dBi patch panel
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2012 model) running Android 4.4 Vision app 1.0.40 with Preview Quality 320x240 15fps

The video was a bit glitch probably due to the app 1.0.40, as some other pilots reported in this forum. I may need to rollback to 1.0.39 until DJI fixed the issues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdhKFMqSBI[/youtube]

Next week, I will further test it with my homebrew helical antenna and Rocket M2 AP/repeater for long range flight. I may also adjust some coding accordingly.

The .39 Android app is the buggy one. Lags badly and completely freezes half the time. I ran 3 batteries through the .40 Android app and it worked much much better and no freezes. Though the video feed could still stand to be a little smoother at 640x480 30fps.

Your results with the app sound pretty promising. Though I thought the default power output of the wifi on the camera was higher than you're saying. Anyway I've got the P2V and not planning to move to the P2V+ any time soon if ever. Will there be an update for this app to increase power output of the original P2V as well? Eh, if all else fails I can always add a 1w Radio Labs 2.4ghz wifi amplifier to it :)

BenDronePilot said:
The .39 Android app is the buggy one. Lags badly and completely freezes half the time. I ran 3 batteries through the .40 Android app and it worked much much better and no freezes. Though the video feed could still stand to be a little smoother at 640x480 30fps.

Your results with the app sound pretty promising. Though I thought the default power output of the wifi on the camera was higher than you're saying. Anyway I've got the P2V and not planning to move to the P2V+ any time soon if ever. Will there be an update for this app to increase power output of the original P2V as well? Eh, if all else fails I can always add a 1w Radio Labs 2.4ghz wifi amplifier to it :)

P2V camera and repeater have about 100-125mW comparing to Vision+ aircraft with only 10mW, which is harder to double the FPV range with 4X RF power. But I think it's still doable by 2X camera power and 2X repeater power respectively, then we can get total 4X power for doubling the range.

borgqueenx said:
PVFlyer said:
srandall25 said:

Are you considering putting this app in the Cydia app store?

srandall25 said:
Are you considering putting this app in the Cydia app store?

AFAIK, there is no plan to put the app in Cydia for the time being. I wonder why you are so keen to put it in Cydia. JB iPhone can still download apps from the official App Store.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20