Found Screen Out Of Old Flat Screen TV To Use As A Landing Pad

Reaction score
I found this screen from an old projection flat screen television set to use as a landing mat until I can get a decent one, all I have to do is paint it up a bit since it is clear and might interfere with the camera's internal signals, its a decent size and heavy too.

I looked around and was trying to find some that was precut to like 3x3 feet square at the most.

I use a pallet with 3/4" plywood,,just need to paint it now,,never thought about a tv,,
a75a753bdbbc75853171dd207207687a.jpg

Can't see why you'd need one to be honest. It's so easy to just reach up and grab the drone when it's hovering just above head height........ I do it all the time now, even when there's a nice flat surface to land on.

I have a piece of medium weight hessian backed carpet cut to fit the backpack .....

Put in last over top of everything ... then zip it up ...

Pal of mine has a car rubber mat cut to fit his backpack ....

What you have to be careful of - the mat must be heavy enough to resist the prop-wash ... I did have a piece of lighter carpet - but it tended to get blown by the wash ..

I also have two folding picnic tables I carry in my van I use to go flying ....

Nigel

Can't see why you'd need one to be honest. It's so easy to just reach up and grab the drone when it's hovering just above head height........ I do it all the time now, even when there's a nice flat surface to land on.

I often fly from farm fields and the use of a mat is good ... the camera when AC first placed on ground - lense is often facing down and I have had mud / dust etc. on the lense before it initialises and centres.
Use of the mat gives a nice clean surface to place AC on before take-off.

Its not all landings .... ;)

Anyway ... not a fan of hand catching ... I've seen too many prop incidents drone and fixed wing .... only time I will do it - is when on my yacht and want to bring in at end of Follow Me ....

Nigel

Yeah, it's more for taking off. Just as a precaution against objects that can be sucked or snagged by the prop wash.

I also hand-catch if the landing area is less than ideal.

The guy who owned my house before me left a bunch of big plastic storage bins in the basement. The lids are about 2 by 3 feet. It's convenient because I can through my drone bag and any other accessories I need into the bin, then when I get where I'm flying the bin lid makes for a nice, flat, smooth launching pad. And if it gets dirty it just wipes off.

Similar to this: Amazon.com: Homz Plastic Storage, With Lid, 64 Quart, Clear, 6-Pack: Home & Kitchen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.