Formatting the Micro SD card.

Reaction score
Phantom 3 Advanced.

Just bought a new 32Gb Micro SD card but can't find/have forgotten how to format it before using it for the first time?
Just read right through the manual but couldn't find anything?

Why format ?

All I usually do is delete the rubbish that card manufacturer puts on and then the empty card is put to work.

I know some keep on about formatting cards - but really its not as necessary as they make out.
I seriously cannot remember the last time I formatted my P3P card. What I do remember was I gave it an ID name P3P ... so when I have my Soloshot / GoPro / Sport cam cards out as well - I know which is which.

If you do want to format : there are two ways ...

1. Place in Drone and via GO - you can format in the menu system. I only use Android - but I assume IOS is similar :
For this - All items must be powered up ... RC, AC and Tablet.
Start Go and get connected
Tap Menu in the camera section
Tap the star tab (settings)
Scroll down the list and FORMAT SD CARD is the last item ... tap that.

2. Via PC .... for this you need a card reader. I only have Windows ... (for Mac - please someone else should advise) ..

Simply go to Explorer
Right click on the SD card in explorer listing and select FORMAT
You have two format system choices which will work in DJI gear : FAT32 or EXFAT
There is no real advantage to use EXFAT - this was devised to allow large card writing / reading when limitations where found. I generally use FAT32.
Choose either Quick or Full format.
I like to give each card a name ... for my Phantom - my cards ID is P3P.

People talk about formatting after every video editing etc. Your choice. Personally - I just cut and paste the video to my hard drive and work with that. The card is just then put back to my P3P. It is true that files are written to the card in addition to the video or photos you make. But the file sizes are so small as to be insignificant. After a few years - you may see a drop in useable card space !!

Great ... now to get those great videos !

I keep getting a "no SD card" error message. I formatted a couple cards FAT 32, one 8gb and one 4gb.

I still get the error.

Attachments

• no sd card 01.jpg
    no sd card 01.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 191
I keep getting a "no SD card" error message. I formatted a couple cards FAT 32, one 8gb and one 4gb.

I still get the error.
Going by the tiny capacities of those cards, they are likely to be slow, old cards and probably too slow for the drone.
Try a newer one that's U1 speed or faster

What is the specification of those cards? I would suggest, as has been hinted at, that they do not have the R/W speed to use in this application. From the manual:

Supported SD Card Types: Micro SD Max. capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required.

The 4gb card is the card that came with the P2V+

I'll try some large cards.

On a related subject, how do I get the DJI vision app installed on the Samsung S9+ android phone? I have had two new phones since I last flew the drone, and the app I used to use seems to have disappeared.

Reactions: Jgreg
The 4gb card is the card that came with the P2V+

I'll try some large cards.

On a related subject, how do I get the DJI vision app installed on the Samsung S9+ android phone? I have had two new phones since I last flew the drone, and the app I used to use seems to have disappeared.
Check on phantomhelp.com, it has links to everything you need.

I presume you have a computer, look at the card with that and see if it is usable, if it is try formatting it with that. Utility.

I get the DJI vision app installed on the Samsung S9+ android phone? I have had two new phones since I last flew the drone, and the app I used to use seems to have disappeared.

you will need to sideload it onto the phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic