Phantom 3 No SD Card

Reaction score
Hi, my I have just dug out my Phantom 3 Standard, and it is on firmware 1.0.14+. When I open DJI GO, it tells me I need a firmware update, whenever I try to do it, it always says no SD card. I have tried formatting it as Fat32, buying an entirely compatible Sandisk 64GB sd formatted as exFat, testing the gimbal's ribbon cable, testing the grey cable that runs from the drone into the gimbal. All fine. There is a faint slow flashing green light on the gimbal, a solid green light inside the camera, I have even tried rebinding. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hi, my I have just dug out my Phantom 3 Standard, and it is on firmware 1.0.14+. When I open DJI GO, it tells me I need a firmware update, whenever I try to do it, it always says no SD card. I have tried formatting it as Fat32, buying an entirely compatible Sandisk 64GB sd formatted as exFat, testing the gimbal's ribbon cable, testing the grey cable that runs from the drone into the gimbal. All fine. There is a faint slow flashing green light on the gimbal, a solid green light inside the camera, I have even tried rebinding. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Try using Litchi instead of djigo, it doesn't get half as upset about things. :)
does your camera record video to the sd card ok?

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Just found another reason to remain a loyal cult follower of Litchi. Used DJI Go a handful of times, before I saw the light and joined the righteous faithful who DEMAND Litchi and nothing else, praise the Lord.

My 2 Phantom 3 Standards won't use any sd card over 32 gb.Maybe try 16gb or 32gb instead?

Well, I have sold the drone but if I did keep it, Litchi has been taken down by DJI.

• Sad
Reactions: Oso
Well, I have sold the drone but if I did keep it, Litchi has been taken down by DJI.

• Sad
Reactions: Oso

No sir, Litchi has not been "taken down by DJI". Litchi is not supported by DJI's newer platforms, BUT it is alive and well for the older generation DJI drones, namely all the Phantoms along with the Mavic Pro and Pro Platinum first-generation series. For this reason, I am unlikely to ever buy a later model DJI drone, regardless of the bells and whistles offered by such new designs.

I use Litchi on a daily basis and have logged nearly 1,600 cumulative miles in fully autonomous missions with my older DJI drones. Matter of fact, I will be launching a Litchi mission in a few moments from now.

Rumors of Litchi's death, are greatly exaggerated, if I may paraphrase that memorable quote. God bless America.

Last edited:
Reactions: tvee and Oso
Oh right I was thinking of Litchi for P2, because I have a Phantom 2, but I can no longer download Litchi and have it work, I get "Server meta data parer failed" and the app will not connect to the Phantom.

Thanks anyway.

Has anyone found a solution to this that they KNOW or are comfortable works? I am not averse to using Litchi, but don't really want to pay the $25 as an experiment just because it might work. This "appears" to be a hardware issue (in my non-expert opinion) as the Phantom does not appear to recognize anything in the chip reader at all. Here are some of the items I have tried:
  • Re-install firmware (drone doesn't read chip so didn't reinstall...)
  • Disconnect Drone from controller, then reconnect
  • Try several different ways of using chip, including reformatting, hard (long) format, new chip, etc. (All chips work fine in other devices, and are U3, 32gb chips)
  • Tried reformatting the chip thru the Phantom, but it comes back with a "Chip not found" error message.
  • Blowing out chip reader with compressed air
  • Cursing, swearing, threatening and using Voodoo magic.
This is a Phantom 3 Professional. I have not used it in several years, but it has been stored in a case in a clean dry environment. Everything else appears to work fine, and I have taken it out for several flights to test.

One other thing/clue. In the warning messages, it states that the gimble is not attached. In testing the drone I can tilt the camera up and down, so the camera is obviously attached. But, do you think that perhaps there is a connector that might be loose? ...

Now that you mention having stored this Phantom 3 Pro for a few years, I do recall reading that Phantom 3 Pro and Advanced models sometimes suffer from volatile memory erasure onboard the drone, necessitating a complicated process of "flashing" the main board's EPROM.

I recently took delivery of a Phantom 3 Pro that had been at sea for 5 long months on a very slow boat from China. Luckily the drone flew and filmed perfectly when I tested it, but I would imagine that the story could have been different if the drone had been left unused for a year or more.

I feel compelled to preach the Gospel of Litchi once more in this thread. For that one-time $25 purchase price, Litchi enables you to fly autonomous missions far beyond the controller's signal range if that is permissible where you live. With Litchi you can preprogram the flight path altitude above each waypoint independently, and also preset the camera direction at each waypoint to produce some truly spectacular sweeping pan shots while flying sideways, among other really useful features. Finally, your smart device does not need to be online, to fly missions created earlier using the FREE Litchi Mission Hub facility on your desktop.

Partaketh yee of Litchi, exalted brethren of the drone, and the world shalt turn, all else being equal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan