Forgetting to free up camera before taking off......

Reaction score
I have taken off a number of time where I forgot to remove the device securing the camera for transportation. I usually didn't realize it until I tried to use the camera. Can this ultimately damage the camera???? So far I haven't noticed anything.

I have taken off a number of time where I forgot to remove the device securing the camera for transportation. I usually didn't realize it until I tried to use the camera. Can this ultimately damage the camera???? So far I haven't noticed anything.
It could cause a motor overload failure but usually doesn't and seemingly hasn't in your case.

Thanks.... I just don't want to cause a problem that I should be able to avoid. I am adding colorful tags, zip ties, etc to remind me to remove the clamp.... better safe than sorry.

Thanks.... I just don't want to cause a problem that I should be able to avoid. I am adding colorful tags, zip ties, etc to remind me to remove the clamp.... better safe than sorry.
Reality is most of us might have done it one, I know I have ONCE.... The little foam transport block on the yaw arm gets a lot of people also.

I forgot about that foam thingy...... flew a couple times before I realized it was there..... I am beginning to think that if I take off and realize that the camera is secured.... no damage will occur as long as I land immediately and remedy the situation.

I have been flying my P4 for 7 months and have never installed the device to secure the camera. Since I don't backpack it or move it great distances I think more damage could be done installing and removing it than doing without it. I keep it available should I ever need to move it or ship it somewhere but I see no need in keeping on using it.
Jim
WA5TEF

I always forget to take it off. Im the worlds worst about removing the gimbal guard. I just went on an ebay shopping spree but I forgot to get "remove before flight" flags. Back to ebay I go.

I think most of us have forgotten to take it off at least once. I have never heard of a failing gimbal due to an overload. So I think it's well protected against it.

I backpack and strap that to back of motorcycle, I have done it twice and caught it within seconds but felt sick I might have damaged gimbal. But luckily no problems. Don't go out and buy a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon (looks cool on aircraft though), just tie a foot long ribbon on the bracket.

Reactions: Tarkington Studios
Gimbal init sequence with specific movements to get hardware status and free of movements is your friend. DJI design on purpose.

Landing where i.e grass could block gimbal or high stress while flying will display gimbal overload as it's motors enabled.

The way to go you can attach to gimbal plastic holder, example:

30b34740807adf564c5ff71a317c2625.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front
Been there, done that. I also put red tape around the gimbal guard in addition to the remove before flight flag.
IMG_1497961671.659144.jpg
. However, I only install if I plan to transport the Phantom. ...But carefully...... The black tape, on the front, helps me with orientation when I am flying visually and close.

Last edited:
I've forgotten as well, and it scared me to death thinking I blew the gimbal motor, but luckily did no harm. I run a pre flight checklist now, and walk around before every single flight. I've done it so many times now I can do it in my sleep! Fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

A checklist might help!

Below is my complete check list that is attached to the controller. I hope you find it useful. It has got me out of trouble in times past.

P3A PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST

1. Fit leg extenders
2. Remove gimbal lock
3. Clean camera lens
4. Inspect propellers
5. Install propellers and tighten.
6. Gimbal not obstructed
7. Tablet to R/C cable attached
8. Tx top left switch to P-Mode (To the right)
9. Tablet ON
10. TX ON
11. A/c ON
12. Open GO App
13. Tap large GPS box on Go App for aircraft status.
14. Enable ‘Multiple flight mode’.
Tap Tx – Tap quad symbol - enable ‘Multiple flight mode’
15. CHECK BATTERY STATUS (Cells)
16. Check satellite status
17. CHECK A/C GREEN LIGHTS FLASHING

Check status if not.
18. CHECK HOME POINT RECORDED
19. Takeoff & Hover 30 seconds & check stability
21. Fly to 5m away and move mode switch from P to F
22. Tap controller symbol on tablet & select HOME LOCK
23. When stable flight enter camera me
24. Tap WHITE BALANCE and set sunny / dull

R/C EXP & Gain (0,5 - 0,4 - 0,5)
IMU values (0, 1, 1400 -1600)
TAP QUAD SYMBOL – SENSOR

Last edited:
Nice list! Ideas of few more things to check;

- check remaining sd card capacity
- check tablet battery
- check environment (ie app UAV Forecast)
- check googles connected (if you have)
and....
- don't forget to start recording (GO4 app)

I've done it once (P3A) but the Go app gave me a warning of a motor overload. Removed the gimbal lock, prayed, and everything was fine. But I do have an issue with deltamike's checklist.....Item 2 and 3 should be reversed. Pop the lens cover, clean the lens, THEN remove the gimbal lock. That way the camera isn't trying to move around. Of course, you're doing this in a "power-off" enviroment.

Reactions: deltamike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20