Follow That Bike

Reaction score
I've had my bike stolen twice inside of 2 months. Each time I was able to track the thieves by stashing an old cell phone under the seat.
I realize that I was lucky to get my bike back by turning an old cell phone into a GPS tracker. The feature of a free download called "Device Manager" by Google allows my Galaxy Note 3 to track my old 3g cheapy.
Now, I want to track the bike in real time. I want to navigate the Phantom 3 to track the bicycle, taking pictures of the little bast'rd huffing and puffing as he trys to get away.
I would like to collaborate with you guys. Anyone who is smart enough to recognize the merits of the DJI Phantom 3 drone is smart enough to catch thieves.
It appears that the technology of the Phantom 3 still requires a reliance on active vigilance as opposed to a passive system that would activate upon movement.
I would love to hear from those of you who have ideas on how we can accomplish this.
My own thoughts include sending a motion activated message to my Galaxy Note 3 as the bike begins to move, then the Phantom 3 sends pictures to me as it auto-tracks the GPS on the bike. I could remotely pilot the Phantom as long as I am in range or the Phantom is in range of the bike.
A 4G LTE on board the Phantom 3 would obviously be beneficial if it were available. I wonder if it could be retro-fitted with a 4G LTE GPS device.
Just to give you guys some background, I am a Veteran, and an instrument rated private pilot. I know that the FAA has a rule book that is going to regulate us. I don't like that anymore than you do, but we need to be able to become a political force.
Drones are going to be with us for a long time. It is going to be a point of commerce and recreation. Let's develope a group much like the NRA. We will need a voice in Congress before you know it.
I will appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
[email protected]

Last edited:
Maybe you just need a better bike lock? :)

This idea is interesting. But, it seems like a lot of work just to track down a bike.

I do think the ability to use a second GPS device like spare phone as the "target" of a follow me feature would be very useful.
currently on the apps I have seen use the gps in the controller video device.

to be able to assign another device as target while maintaining full video at the rc device opens a lot of potential up. I ideas such as yours etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj