Flytrex and PV

http://flytrex.com/support/flytrex-core ... tallation/

Official Vision installation instruction for Flytrex now up on the site. Really worked well for me, and the Vision still fits in the flight case without having to do anything to the Flytrex - fit and forget.

Oh, apart from remembering to put the SD card back in it after uploading your missions. That's two of those things to remember on my pre-leaving home checklist!

gpauk said:
One thing that puts me off the flytrex is that you only get gps altitude data -- not the much more accurate altimeter data...

Once I received mine I thought the same thing, the PCB has a little bit of spare real estate, it could be a little smaller, and/or make use of a higher accuracy altimeter, but it is what it is and does what it says it will do :) I also have the FBOSD with a memory card logger, tho I had plenty of issues setting all that up correctly!

Indeed it does exactly what it says, and seems to work well... But it could hook into the imu data too and get the internal altimeter data... Perhaps the next version will!

gpauk said:
One thing that puts me off the flytrex is that you only get gps altitude data -- not the much more accurate altimeter data...

Hi Gpauk :)

Much like you said, GPS altitude data is really not that accurate. After analyzing large amounts of data collected in our network we've identified altitude inaccuracy of 10 meters or even more in some cases. The results were much worse than we assumed when we just started working on Flytrex.

The good news are that the Flytrex board actually includes a built-in altimeter, so the altitude reading you'll be getting with your flights is much (much) more accurate than the data arriving from the GPS. In general, the altimeter accuracy is usually about ~50cm, and shouldn't be off by more than 1.5 meter max in some rare cases.

If you look at the Flytrex board you'll notice a small dark-gray sponge block - the altimeter is placed beneath it :) BTW, this is done to prevent direct sunlight from entering the altimeter which can affect reading.

I hope this helps - of course I'll be glad to help with any other question. :)

That's great! I must have missed that on the data on your site!
So the data on the plots is altimeter based?

GPS altitude can be surprisingly inaccurate -- professionally we always try not to use it!

gpauk said:

GPS altitude can be surprisingly inaccurate -- professionally we always try not to use it!

Yes indeed :) The data displayed with each flight you upload to Flytrex.com is based on the altimeter reading.

Up until recently our algorithms were designed to give much higher importance to the altitude reading coming from the GPS, but after investigating different reports about inaccurate altitude from our users (special thanks to Fdnyfish from these forums for the help with this!) we updated our algorithms and now rely on the altimeter. The result is much more accurate data.

amitregev said:
gpauk said:

Much like you said, GPS altitude data is really not that accurate. After analyzing large amounts of data collected in our network we've identified altitude inaccuracy of 10 meters or even more in some cases. The results were much worse than we assumed when we just started working on Flytrex.

The good news are that the Flytrex board actually includes a built-in altimeter, so the altitude reading you'll be getting with your flights is much (much) more accurate than the data arriving from the GPS. In general, the altimeter accuracy is usually about ~50cm, and shouldn't be off by more than 1.5 meter max in some rare cases.

If you look at the Flytrex board you'll notice a small dark-gray sponge block - the altimeter is placed beneath it :) BTW, this is done to prevent direct sunlight from entering the altimeter which can affect reading.

I was going to take a guess and say you added that in, I noticed the black foam and the only reason I could think of that you put it there was to keep the hole on the sensors exposed!

gpauk said:
Great -- will it work with Wookong-M? I'd assume the puck interface is same as for Naza....

Currently Flytrex won't work with Wookong-M systems, however, I'm hoping to have some news about this shortly as well.. More details will follow in the near future.. :)

Driffill said:
amitregev said:
gpauk said:

I was going to take a guess and say you added that in, I noticed the black foam and the only reason I could think of that you put it there was to keep the hole on the sensors exposed!

Hi Driffill,

Do you mean the black-foam or the altimeter itself? :) Both were part of Flytrex from the very beginning, and indeed, our team adds the foam as part of the assembly and testing of each unit we ship.

I hope this is what you meant - let me know if I missed the question.. :)

amitregev said:
Driffill said:
amitregev said:
gpauk said:

Hi Driffill,

Do you mean the black-foam or the altimeter itself? :) Both were part of Flytrex from the very beginning, and indeed, our team adds the foam as part of the assembly and testing of each unit we ship.

I hope this is what you meant - let me know if I missed the question.. :)

One of the items I was adding in during my re-build was a MS6511 altimeter (barometer) for the FBOSD Ghost, I assumed that the flytrex was purely GPS based altitude data, once I received mine, I noticed the foam under the HeatShrink and assumed it had a similar "high accuracy" altimeter (tho I wasn't going to cut back the HeatShrink to confirm it :) ) . . .

I just love it when I find someone who is thinking a step ahead of myself lol

BTW, those extra cables worked out perfectly! I'm hoping to complete my first flight this weekend :)

I ordered a Flytrex yesterday and have it in my hands now. Looking forward to getting home from work to install it.

Pretty neat stuff. Not only can you record your airspace and restricted area violations you get to make a permanent record of them on the internet. This should get interesting going forward.

I do see a business model here though. The FAA, CAA etc can be convinced (through proper lobbying) to REQUIRE a device such as this on all unmanned vehicles sold in the country. Along with adding a TCAS signature to warn aircraft of their proximity to the UAS. What a business model. :D

Sidewinder said:
Pretty neat stuff. Not only can you record your airspace and restricted area violations you get to make a permanent record of them on the internet. This should get interesting going forward.

I do see a business model here though. The FAA, CAA etc can be convinced (through proper lobbying) to REQUIRE a device such as this on all unmanned vehicles sold in the country. Along with adding a TCAS signature to warn aircraft of their proximity to the UAS. What a business model. :D

That was a concern of mine, not that I fly over the 400' height restriction here or within 5.5km of an airport, but I still don't want big brother snooping in what I do. The good part is you can keep the record private and not published on their website.

The good part is you can keep the record private and not published on their website.

:) I know but couldn't resist being a fly in the ointment. But the data is onboard and in the event of say a mid-air or loss of control resulting in damage in a place where you shouldn't be the "evidence" is present. Then again most prone to "pushing the limit" put it on YouTube anyway so not much different.

This is all interesting and will without question lead to rules, regulation, litigation and a general PITA as government becomes more involved in what has been heretofore simply a hobby.

Anyway the Flytrex is a cool add-on if that sort of thing floats yer boat.

amitregev said:
gpauk said:

Yes indeed :) The data displayed with each flight you upload to Flytrex.com is based on the altimeter reading.

Up until recently our algorithms were designed to give much higher importance to the altitude reading coming from the GPS, but after investigating different reports about inaccurate altitude from our users (special thanks to Fdnyfish from these forums for the help with this!) we updated our algorithms and now rely on the altimeter. The result is much more accurate data.

I hate to argue this point... But I have to. I'm seeing totally incorrect altitude data from my FlyTrex. I'm 90% sure that it's somehow my fault... nonetheless...

-slinger

Blowing a gale again in the UK the last couple of days, so it's another kitchen table video I'm afraid! It's a brief review and how to for using the Flytrex with your Vision (or any member of the Phantom/Naza family), including a quick look at the website features, what you can do with exported data (i.e. Dashware, Google Earth). For anyone who hasn't yet got one but who's curious...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45oXEtIb1I[/youtube]

Sorry, no cameo from the dog and no booze. I must be slipping.

Pull_up,
Thanks for that. When I bought the flytrex core it was your installation video that encouraged me to actually do it. Since you mentioned it in the video, I finally tried the KML export and it is really cool. I had a flight where I was testing a new antenna and went both far away and high up and it looks great. Thanks for the effort in making these videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20