Flytrex and PV

Reaction score
Just got this from Amit @ Flytrex:

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry for the slight delay with my reply! I wanted to get back to you with some proper answer and waited after we finish our local testing.

I'm glad to say that earlier today we finished our testing with the Phantom Vision and indeed Flytrex Core works without a problem with the Phantom Vision. Two notes about installation:

1. Much like with the Phantom v1, to install Flytrex with the Vision you need the Flytrex Phantom Cable (available on our site). However, when connecting the cable you need to connect it to the GPS wire and the GPS female connector on the Vision board, instead of connecting it to the Naza flight controller like it is with the Phantom v1.

2. As for mounting, since the battery door was modified we are no longer able to route the cable through the battery compartment. Therefore, instead of taking the wire through the battery door we suggest taking it through one of the 4 built-in holes that are placed on each of the leg corners (the same hole used for the compass gray wire). The Flytrex cable connector won't go through this hole, so you'll need to cut the cable, pass it through the hold and re-solder the 4-wires in this cable back again - this way passing it through the hole. There are a few others ways you can use to route the cable outside of the Vision, but this seems to be the easiest. This isn't optimal like the mounting option we used with the Phantom v1 since it requires some basic soldering skills (basic 4-wire, but still..).

The unit itself was tested with the Vision just this morning and everything is fully compatible with it. :) We also added the Vision to the list of available multirotors on our site earlier today.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help with it.

Have a great weekend! :)

Amit Regev,
Flytrex - The World's Leading Quadcopters and Multirotors Pilots Network
M: +972-544-201127
Join Today: http://flytrex.com . Love Us: http://facebook.com/flytrex

How do you access the SD?

-slinger

Yup, I've actually been the beta tester for this and had a successful test this afternoon with the Flytrex - data is captured and GPS performance is fine. I've really tried hard to get an internal mounting solution but there just isn't enough space in the battery compartment to fit the Flytrex in there and allow access to the sd card. We're going with the cut and solder solution to utilise the spare hole in the landing gear and externally mount - this won't involve modding the Vision shell in any way. Obviously if you are happy to cut one of the side vent holes/drill out a new hole/file out a slot where the two halves of the shell meet then you can use one of these methods at your own risk. Great system and really cool data logger, never mind the badges other social elements.

Pull_Up said:
Yup, I've actually been the beta tester for this and had a successful test this afternoon with the Flytrex - data is captured and GPS performance is fine. I've really tried hard to get an internal mounting solution but there just isn't enough space in the battery compartment to fit the Flytrex in there and allow access to the sd card. We're going with the cut and solder solution to utilise the spare hole in the landing gear and externally mount - this won't involve modding the Vision shell in any way. Obviously if you are happy to cut one of the side vent holes/drill out a new hole/file out a slot where the two halves of the shell meet then you can use one of these methods at your own risk. Great system and really cool data logger, never mind the badges other social elements.

What type of Battery capacity impact are you seeing with regards to flight times ?

-Bill

Pull_Up said:

The annoying thing is, if dji just added a log file to the received telemetry data in the apps, you wouldn't need it at all....

To save cutting and soldering, you could use a small pin or screwdriver to remove the wires from the flytrex cable, feed the cables thru the holes and reattach the head. This was how I was planning on feeding the cable thru for my set up.

They may well add some sort of capability like this in the future, who knows? But the reason I like the Flytrex is the same reason I like the Vision - it's plug and play. I don't have to convert the data myself, or import it into anything - I just upload the file to the Flytrex site and it does it all for me. Power users probably would want access to all the raw data that the Vision collects, but until DJI allow you to save it somehow you can use a Flytrex and export the data to .csv or .kml and mess about with it to your heart's content. The badge collecting bit isn't to everyone's taste, but it's easy to ignore if you don't want it - plus you can keep all flights private if you wish and just use it as a digital flight log book.

Amit's going to be updating the Flytrex site soon with a "how to" guide for a Vision installation to go alongside his original Phantom guide, although I didn't find it particularly tricky and I'm no electronics expert (I'm also no solderer, so for my installation I just filed a small notch out of the side of the shell to pass the data cable through) but if you have basic soldering skills then you'll be able to do an install with no damage to the shell at all.

Driffill said:
To save cutting and soldering, you could use a small pin or screwdriver to remove the wires from the flytrex cable, feed the cables thru the holes and reattach the head. This was how I was planning on feeding the cable thru for my set up.

Yes, I know others have done this on other aircraft to get a "neater" solution, but in Amit's opinion it's probably more tricky to do successfully than a solder job, and if you do it wrong it will mean another cable will have to be purchased - hence why the "approverd" method is going to be solder. However there's nothing to stop people who are happy to tinker from trying all sorts of methods - and if you do trash a cable, well they are not a million dollars to replace!

UPDATE: As only a very small notch is required to be filed in the shell to get the lead out (i.e. the way I have done it) Amit is going to make that the default installation option. It's only a little work required and it makes a totally plug and play solution without getting burned fingers (knowing my lack of solder technique).

Pull_Up said:
UPDATE: As only a very small notch is required to be filed in the shell to get the lead out (i.e. the way I have done it) Amit is going to make that the default installation option. It's only a little work required and it makes a totally plug and play solution without getting burned fingers (knowing my lack of solder technique).

Awesome !!! I've got enough shirts with little solder inflicted holes... :) :) :)

UAV_AV80R said:
Pull_Up said:

What type of Battery capacity impact are you seeing with regards to flight times ?

-Bill

Hi Bill, there should be no noticeable effect. Amit from Flytrex guesses the core is going to cost between 3 and 4 seconds out of a 25 minute flight! It only draws as much current as is needed to write to an sd card, so in the scheme of the Visions power system it's as near to nothing as makes no difference.

Pull_Up said:
I didn't notice one when I had the top off, but then again I wasn't looking for one! There certainly aren't any unconnected wires in there.

Here's a shot I took of the internals:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9VWpq ... sp=sharing

You mentioned using the unused hole in the landing gear to snake the cable through. That makes perfect sense. Just pull off the little rubber grommet and snake the cable through the hole. That hole's large enough for the connector to pass through? (or is that where you had to file a small notch?) Where did you wind up actually mounting the Flytrex?

I see only four obvious Allen Head screws that appear to hold the top and bottom of the PV together, is that all there is?

(EDIT) I see now that there are four screws per corner to pop off the top. Three Allen Heads and a tiny Phillips Head.

Thanks...

-slinger

Here's my version:

The spare hole by the landing skid would have been ideal, but it's nowhere near big enough for the connector on the lead to pass through, hence the initial plan being the cut-and-re-solder job (and would be the "neatest" solution for those handy with a soldering iron). I have just carved out a thin slot in the bottom shell where the two halves meet. The plastic is surprisingly soft and a craft knife was able to do the job fine. I shaved the hole smooth, added a bit of tape around the cable for extra protection from any chafing and then closed her up again. The Flytrex board is mounted on the underside at the rear and fastened with your favourite proprietary product of choice.

Pull_Up said:
Here's my version:

The spare hole by the landing skid would have been ideal, but it's nowhere near big enough for the connector on the lead to pass through, hence the initial plan being the cut-and-re-solder job (and would be the "neatest" solution for those handy with a soldering iron). I have just carved out a thin slot in the bottom shell where the two halves meet. The plastic is surprisingly soft and a craft knife was able to do the job fine. I shaved the hole smooth, added a bit of tape around the cable for extra protection from any chafing and then closed her up again. The Flytrex board is mounted on the underside at the rear and fastened with your favourite proprietary product of choice.

Perfect !!! Thank you muchly for all your help with this project. :D :D :D

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav