Flying With My Mom

Reaction score
My brother and I have been discussing the fact that we still need to choose a final resting place for our mom's ashes. Her written wish was to be sprinkled upon the ocean off of Long Island from a chartered boat, for which there are companies that will provide this type of service for a fee. But then we had an idea. (You know where I'm going with this.) Why not use my P4P? Our initial thought is to add a compact remote drop mechanism to the P4P and suspend a large paper cup from it using two strings. One string attached to the top lip of the cup would be held in place by the drop pin, while the other string with slack would be attached to the bottom of the cup and firmly tied to a landing strut. Once far enough out over the ocean, the release mechanism would let go of the top cup string. At the same time, the secure bottom string would cause the falling cup to flip over and disperse her ashes. Seems quite doable. We may wish to do the same thing over previously owned properties that my brother and I no longer have access to -- nor likely to get permission from new owners to sprinkle ashes. But there are other places that would be meaningful to her that would not require a drone -- such as in the small fenced garden that is still in front of the apartent building where she grew up, an upstate lake where our family spent many summers, etc. We'll have to figure out the weight, how many drops we want to make, and at what locations might be meaningful to our mom. But we would definitely include the ocean. We both feel our mom would be onboard with this idea. No pun intended.

I use the TopRace drone clip to parachute little army guys with my grandson. Not sure about the weight limitations, but it works well for our purpose.

I'm considering this small unit that fits the P4P.

Capture.JPG

Nice gesture,sport mode so plenty power on hand,never carried that much weight when had mine but do a few practice lifts with sand in a bag ,,,you could have some bag set up under drone set to stay and use the surfcaster and line tied around hole in bag and when ready tighten the drag or hold the line from peeling out and knot on bag with open and line falls to the water,meantime ashes are bein sprinkled amongst the heavens and earth..
Hope it goes well for ya

Reactions: MapMaker53
My brother and I have been discussing the fact that we still need to choose a final resting place for our mom's ashes. Her written wish was to be sprinkled upon the ocean off of Long Island from a chartered boat, for which there are companies that will provide this type of service for a fee. But then we had an idea. (You know where I'm going with this.) Why not use my P4P? Our initial thought is to add a compact remote drop mechanism to the P4P and suspend a large paper cup from it using two strings. One string attached to the top lip of the cup would be held in place by the drop pin, while the other string with slack would be attached to the bottom of the cup and firmly tied to a landing strut. Once far enough out over the ocean, the release mechanism would let go of the top cup string. At the same time, the secure bottom string would cause the falling cup to flip over and disperse her ashes. Seems quite doable. We may wish to do the same thing over previously owned properties that my brother and I no longer have access to -- nor likely to get permission from new owners to sprinkle ashes. But there are other places that would be meaningful to her that would not require a drone -- such as in the small fenced garden that is still in front of the apartent building where she grew up, an upstate lake where our family spent many summers, etc. We'll have to figure out the weight, how many drops we want to make, and at what locations might be meaningful to our mom. But we would definitely include the ocean. We both feel our mom would be onboard with this idea. No pun intended.
Sounds like you may have stumbled upon the making of a little business venture going forward. Best wishes and I hope that mum enjoys the views during her last flights.
All the best, Martin

Naturally, I will have a downward facing video running to capture the release as a keepsake for myself and my brother. I'm envisioning filming a view of the receding shoreline, then panning downward at the cup and ocean below, and then the release. I can even note the Lat/Lon of the release location.

Naturally, I will have a downward facing video running to capture the release as a keepsake for myself and my brother. I'm envisioning filming a view of the receding shoreline, then panning downward at the cup and ocean below, and then the release. I can even note the Lat/Lon of the release location.
Sounds like a lovely plan. If you have a location where you can film a time lapse of the sun setting before releasing the ashes into the golden light that would be a nice finale.
All the best, Martin

Reactions: MapMaker53
Please be careful with you posts. Believe it or not, some places prohibit the spreading of human remains. Don't ask me how I know. I hope this is not the case for you cause I think it would be quite silly to keep folks from honoring in this way .. but just keep it on the DL is my opinion.

For instance, a few years ago, I learned there is only one country in Europe that a civilian can take human remains to via commercial air travel and that is Geneva, SW. If you want to do this elsewhere, we had to fly there and drive to any other destination. Who the sam hill knew! Sorry for your loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair