Flying With Map Screen Problems

Reaction score
I have a P3A that I've had about a year. It was an ebay purchase and appears I bought a bird with a bad gimbal board (I got help trouble shooting that issue on a forum) because I have not had FPV or camera functions since I bought it...yes, buyer beware. I didn't pay a lot for it and went ahead and bought a new-in-box Mavic Pro last summer. But to try to get some use out of my P3A I've been flying it for practice lately. I want to get practice flying with the different navigation screens, especially the Google Earth type screen. When I first flew it numerous times last year I had an active flight screen and could even auto launch with the slider gizmo. Now I have no flight telemetry on my screen and the auto launch no longer works so I use 'cross sticks' to start it. Those early flights last year are all recorded in the flight log and are easy to retrieve and replay. My recent flights are not recording. My screen shows my starting point accurately because I've purposely changed it the past several flights and it recognizes those changes. But then I get nothing after take-off...no AC location or direction, no battery or satellite info, no distance or elevation telemetry and it says "Disconnected" across the top of the screen...just the blue dot remains at the starting point. The AC direction indicator in the lower left corner does not move either during flight. I am getting the green blinking status lights on the AC showing it's happy. Nothing has changed, same mobile device, same controller, same routine. Possibly you guys could give me a process of elimination list or some ideas where to start and some theories what might be the problem. These Phantom sessions are helping my flying skills and confidence. I've progressed to comfortably using three control inputs at a time like climbing and descending tight corkscrews and big sweeping circles while changing elevation along with RTH drills. But I'd sure like to see where it is at a distance in relation to a map on the screen.

Have you tried a different lighting cable from the controller to your tablet or phone? Could also be that the USB board on the controller is bad. Maybe also delete the DJI GO app and reinstall it.

Reactions: Oso
Thanks for the ideas. I've tried three different cables. I have not tried to delete and reinstall yet so I'll do that. I also have not tried my cell phone in place of my tablet so I'll do that before I delete and reinstall on my tablet. I suspect this will be a process of elimination so your ideas are a good place to start. I am assuming that the flight telemetry information is processed and sent from a separate board and is all related to the IMU and GPS info the AC is using to fly, along with RC inputs...with all of that completely separate from the gimbal board and camera functions. Would that be correct? I would like to understand that telemetry loop and the AC-to-RC-to-Mobile Device relationship better. Pretty interesting little birds aren't they?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic