Flying Over Water - Questions

I've heard those don't work so well, nor would it support the weight of a sinking Phantom. I'm looking for a solutions as well as I'll be taking mine out in open water

They are not designed to keep the P3 afloat. I think anything you use that could actually keep it afloat would have a substantial impact on flight performance.
I'd like to know if there does exist something though.

If your going for distance,,,,Play the wind,it makes a BIG difference on distance traveled.
Did I say ,,,,Be prepared to lose it?:D
I don't understand this comment. How does one play the wind for distance.

If you go with the wind going out for lets say a mile and a half needing "Y" minutes out you would need "Y+X minutes " to get back.

If you go into the same wind for the same mile and a half; it is going to take the "Y+X minutes going out but only "Y" minutes to get back.

So both flights used "Y+(Y+X)" minutes covering the same distance.

So how do you play the wind to increase distance?

Reactions: Scribe2k
You are right. Wind will give a boost or the opposite if it's a headwind.
So you can only use it to assist on a one-way trip.
If you go out with the wind assisting, you have to pay for that coming home slowly.
And if you haven't left a big enough safety margin in calculating your return flight, it's not very enjoyable.

Reactions: Scribe2k
You are right. Wind will give a boost or the opposite if it's a headwind.
So you can only use it to assist on a one-way trip.
If you go out with the wind assisting, you have to pay for that coming home slowly.
And if you haven't left a big enough safety margin in calculating your return flight, it's not very enjoyable.

My rule of thumb, always do the outbound leg into wind. Then you have less time to get back.

If you go with the wind going out for lets say a mile and a half needing "Y" minutes out you would need "Y+X minutes " to get back.

If you go into the same wind for the same mile and a half; it is going to take the "Y+X minutes going out but only "Y" minutes to get back.

So both flights used "Y+(Y+X)" minutes covering the same distance.

So how do you play the wind to increase distance?

Going out into 15mph headwind ,you can turn around at 45- 50% battery and return safely with 25-30% .
Going out at 15mph tail wind ,and turn around at 45-50% battery ,,pucker up,have your neck strap on so when your hands start shaking you can shake it off .
Be prepared to lose it.

The P3 will not go any faster in atti mode - that was a P2 feature.
Didn't read the end of the sentence, sorry - I believe in ATTI flying not for speed, but so a pilot understands the effect of wind on speed and direction so as to not be surprised if ATTI occurs for any reason. Plus, I think it's just more fun to fly in A mode!

The Phantom doesn't know it's over water. Just the pilot. I fly over water all the time. The best videos come from over the water.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442798748.399025.jpg

Agreed

They are not designed to keep the P3 afloat. I think anything you use that could actually keep it afloat would have a substantial impact on flight performance.
I'd like to know if there does exist something though.
Yes, think so too. Theoretically the floats would need to have a volume of 1,3 liter to keep the P3's 1,3 kg afloat. That would be for example a block sized about 4" x 4" x 5" .

The Phantom doesn't know it's over water. Just the pilot. I fly over water all the time. The best videos come from over the water.
I don't think anybody believes the P3 can determine what type of surface is below.
But the water surface probably behaves rather differently than ordinary ground when it comes to light and sound reflection, which is what the VPS use.
So I don't think it is unlikely that the VPS can behave in unexpected ways over water.

Btw, why would you want to keep VPS on over water?

I fly over the ocean in most of my flights, I never turned off VPS ever, I go over 1.5 miles off shore no issues, And never had any issues coming back, if the wind is with you you can hit over 36 mph on the way back if the wind is coming off the ocean like it is mostly in my area. Seagulls seem to be not interested at all in the P3 .. If you have flown your copter enough and are sure of it and used to the controls GO FOR IT and don't be scared. Just fly it. Every time you fly you take a chance of a crash. I love flying over water..

Attachments

• ScreenShot008.jpg
    ScreenShot008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 433
  • ScreenShot009.jpg
    ScreenShot009.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 394
  • G0040231.JPG
    G0040231.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 429
  • G0040232.JPG
    G0040232.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 441
I fly over the ocean in most of my flights, I never turned off VPS ever, I go over 1.5 miles off shore no issues, And never had any issues coming back, if the wind is with you you can hit over 36 mph on the way back if the wind is coming off the ocean like it is mostly in my area. Seagulls seem to be not interested at all in the P3 .. If you have flown your copter enough and are sure of it and used to the controls GO FOR IT and don't be scared. Just fly it. Every time you fly you take a chance of a crash. I love flying over water..
The place of no return:D I would have to double my dose of blood pressure medicine. LOL

I don't think anybody believes the P3 can determine what type of surface is below.
But the water surface probably behaves rather differently than ordinary ground when it comes to light and sound reflection, which is what the VPS use.
So I don't think it is unlikely that the VPS can behave in unexpected ways over water.

Btw, why would you want to keep VPS on over water?

I don't. I have VPS switched off - never, ever used it. My point was that the Phantom flies the same over water or land - it's only inside the pilot's head that the problem exists.

I often fly over water, the only thing i do is keeping the P3A at least 20 meters over sea level. I haven't had any issues so far :)
This is from my last flight
great video, and beautiful place - will need to put Sweden on my bucket list :)

Yeh Foosy, when the weather is nice its really beautiful. To bad its not to often :))

I've been doing it for over a year. All I have found is to tighten your butt cheeks, cross your fingers and get a big sigh of relief when you get back over land. You can really get tight if you do a full flight over the water up the river using waypoint flying, you really look at the watch and sky then and hope in 16-18 minutes you hear a buzz. I love this job... er sport...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl