Flying Indoors with Phantom 2 vision

Reaction score
What should I try to anticipate before flying indoors?

(I'm thinking of flying in a convention center...large room... before people arrive)

I bought a Proto X quadcopter and flew in inside. I crashed it so many times because it is never stable(when new it flys somewhat stable but after multiple crashes the motor mounts get loose. It is definitely fun easily repairable after each crash. Great for Kids). I worry the P2V will fly the same way

I think I should turn off GPS and RTH but how? Do I mess with the switches?

I thought we invoked a voluntary ban on this practice in the forum. Most significant consequence reported has been the temporary injunction/restraining order on one's formerly significant relationship. Things like prematurely trimmed indoor plants, shaved pets, damaged children, and replacement furniture come to mind. Your mileage may vary (esp w/spouse).

Other than that, you'd be surprised how often Vision may attain a GPS lock in a single-story abode.

But above all: Don't Panic!

iDrone :eek: (dons Peril-Sensitive goggles now...)

Hope you're good at flying atti mode. As stated above you'll be lucky to get GPS signal. Another word of caution your P2 creates ALOT of prop wash and it's amplifide indoors... fly w/caution.

If you don't get sat lock you'll be in atti mode whether you select it or not, and whilst there shouldn't be any wind to drift around in, you may find yourself being blown around a little by your own propwash, especially if close to walls and floors. As mentioned, if you don't have prop guards on stay away from foliage. Those indoor planters are even more mobile than the outdoor trees that like to run into your aircraft's path...

Also, I'd strongly suggest doing a control check from one end of the space to another - see if you can get the motors to spin up and then shut down again with the CSC from various spots in the space just to eliminate the potential for anything to cause issues with your 5.8 signal. I'm guessing the building owners wouldn't be too impressed if your aircraft decided to enter failsafe mode and climb to 60ft. You can't switch off failsafe as far as I am aware - it kinda wouldn't be a failsafe if you could!

Never flown mine indoors but I get 7 sats in my house :shock:

In a convention center you will be ok you wont get any sats. ( I would bet)
I wouldn't even try compus calibration because it wont matter and you will have to do it again when your outside.
Just fire it up in ATTI and fly.

You might also check w/convention center if they have wi/fi repeaters. (many do) That may have some consequences on a safe flight also.

I flew my p2v last night in a convention center. Good luck on getting GPS lock and like the others have stated...you better be good at flying in attitude mode. If you cant handle the little proto x I would stay away from putting the p2v up indoors. There is really no reward to flying it inside. It gets rather boring not having the room to play with like outside. If you do decide to fly indoors be very careful of you surroundings and prop wash as its amplified inside and close to the ground/walls.

Another thing to watch out for is ground effect at the ceiling.
Ground effect happens when close to the ground. Basically your wings, in this case rotors become more efficient, they have increased lift and decreased drag, as they get close to the ground. Typically this is most noticeable when you are 1/2 the wing length in distance from the ground. The phantom rotor is about 9.5 inches and sits more than 5 inches off the ground so you will not really notice it much when flying normally. Though it will still play a small part.
This also happens when you get close to a ceiling. As you get close to the top of the room your Phantom will seem like it is getting sucked up to the roof. It will then hit the ceiling and crash.
Ground effect still start to play a part when you are about 10 inches front he ceiling but will be major at 5 inches and closer.
Basically just don't go near the top of the room.

Here is a chart because people look smarter when posting charts.
Fig_2-39.gif

Also you must post a video of indoor flights so we can um observe the fun.

Thank you for all the assistance. I will post a video probably sunday.

If anyone has flown a proto x, you will understand how hard it is to fly in a hotel room. Easy to go across the room but it is always drifting in some direction. The Proto x is the first remote control anything I have flown. Now after several months of flying it inside/outside Im pretty good. I will be very careful with my phantom.

Friday I plan to practice while we are setting up for the event.

If I don't get the GPS mode(no blinking green lights) I will go without and keep it at a 40ft max so it will have no reason to go into failsafe mode.

Think of anything else just let me know

Thanks

ResevorDG said:
This also happens when you get close to a ceiling. As you get close to the top of the room your Phantom will seem like it is getting sucked up to the roof. It will then hit the ceiling and crash.
Ground effect still start to play a part when you are about 10 inches front he ceiling but will be major at 5 inches and closer.
That explains the affinity my new Hubsan has got to the ceiling. If you get closer than 6" it seems to become magnetically attached to it. I thought it was just my poor piloting.

pault said:
ResevorDG said:
That explains the affinity my new Hubsan has got to the ceiling. If you get closer than 6" it seems to become magnetically attached to it. I thought it was just my poor piloting.

These hubsans look cool for indoor flying. Is it worth buying?

ResevorDG said:
pault said:
ResevorDG said:

These hubsans look cool for indoor flying. Is it worth buying?

Absolutely. I have four of them (though one is currently about 40 feet up a fir tree) :shock:

They take a real beating and parts for them are inexpensive. I've replaced all four motors on one of mine already and it only takes about fifteen minutes or so to do, per motor.

-slinger

pault said:
ResevorDG said:

Heh same here :lol:

If you get one , buy the prop protector addon, its only a couple of £ extra (as are spare batteries/prop sets).
They are tough little buggers but twitchy and very hands on, the prop protector makes it a bit more sluggish and a bit heavier
but saved me chewing through props in my small flat.
With it on, I actually go for the ceiling "to make safe" if I muck up near plants and valuables.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

<edit> Cheap looking transmitter but packed full of settings for its price.

Tim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers