Flying in wintertime

Be careful taking the drones from warm to cold places and back. Condensation can form inside the camera, which will impact you photos & videos.

Reactions: Wibble
Be careful taking the drones from warm to cold places and back. Condensation can form inside the camera, which will impact you photos & videos.
Just curious on what you're basing that comment. I've taken my good SLRs, DSLRs, and video cameras in and out of ski-country for decades, and more-recently my GoPro camera, and never had a problem.

Even if some moisture does get inside a camera when it's brought indoors, that means it's not totally sealed (which is OK). So the moisture can evaporate in the same manner through the same openings. Just don't use the camera during its warm-up period for 10-15 minutes. Most camera manufacturers agree.

The few times I've done the same with my Phantom, so far, it's been fine in all outdoor temperatures.

Summit County, Colorado, last week. Well below freezing. No problems at all.

View attachment 40471
Ahh Summit County. Lived in Breckinridge, then Blue River and worked in Frisco. Eisenhower Pass got 55 FEET of snow that year ('95-'96). So strange to go in one side of the tunnel when it was sunny, only to emerge to a blizzard coming out the other side!

SD

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
Ahh Summit County. Lived in Breckinridge, then Blue River and worked in Frisco. Eisenhower Pass got 55 FEET of snow that year ('95-'96). So strange to go in one side of the tunnel when it was sunny, only to emerge to a blizzard coming out the other side!

SD
I agree! I've seen that same phenomenon. It's great, like going into Wonderland or Oz from the real world. Love Breck! Skied Keystone, but had lunch there last week!

Nice picture @SouthernPhantom. Summit County CO is my favorite place to go...anytime of year. Absolutely beautiful and I'd love to take my P3P there next time.
Thank you! Since we have a couple of Summit County fans here, this is another "dronie" from the same trip

SummitCountry20160115.jpg

Had ice build up on the blades from a 5 minute flight last night, temp was about 8F with a slight fog if thats even possible. The ice on the blades turned to condensation quickly because i took that picture in the house. Thats a ski hill in the background.

Don't be fearful of flying during winter. Just because you're cold doesn't mean the drone won't perform properly. Just glance at the battery percentage a little more often.

View attachment 40446 View attachment 40447 View attachment 40448
Looks almost like Cascade mountain. Which ski hill?

Anyone consider using RainX on their props and shell to help with ice build up? It sure works on windshield wipers, didn't know if it would help with this.

Flight at about -5 Celsius ,
Took off 100% battery fresh from the morning , landed at about 35% .. Aside from my frozen fingers , it flew perfectly

Will test again today at home as it's about -15 Celsius

If you check the Battery Safety Sheet that came with your P3 it recommends flying between -10c and 40c. I live in Canada and flew for 40 minutes yesterday at -8c
I know there arent many that will even have to think about this, but where I live it hits 120 degrees F (48 Celsius) sometimes in the summer. What precautions can I take in extreme heat?

I know there arent many that will even have to think about this, but where I live it hits 120 degrees F (48 Celsius) sometimes in the summer. What precautions can I take in extreme heat?

I have never flown in temps like that! I'm not the guy to answer your question but...here is a link to story about DJI products flying over an active volcano. It was so hot the camera melted. Maybe you can find more info on extreme heat and flying.

SKYPIXEL.ORG - Behind-the-scenes article about the DJI / Good...

Cheers
Dave

Finally tested today .

-15 Celsius, -19c with chill factor . Windy today with gust of 20-25Km/h . Nothing major but windier than the night shot
Flew only half of a fresh 100% charged battery . Can't tell exactly , but at that temperature , the charge drops faster , guessing 12-14 min flight from 100% to 30%

But this came out

I've done -10 to -12C with no issues and down to 60-65% on new batteries.

I warm up the bird inside and then get a GPS lock @ the bulkhead by the lake.
I pull up the battery voltage/temp page and do an idle/ run up for about 10-15 seconds and watch the voltage and battery temp. If all's good........Then it's "go for throttle up."........

Hi!
I´ve just bought my new Phantom 3 pro.
The present temperature here in sweden is aprx. -10 dgr. C.

Is there any known problems with flying in under these cold conditions?
Is there a recommended minimum temperature for flying?

I quess the battery will be affected but will there be more problems?

Please give me some good advices.

Well, I'm my self in Sweden, no problem with a little cold weather, take a look at youtube, there is a lot of vids with cool climat.

Hi!
I´ve just bought my new Phantom 3 pro.
The present temperature here in sweden is aprx. -10 dgr. C.

Is there any known problems with flying in under these cold conditions?
Is there a recommended minimum temperature for flying?

I quess the battery will be affected but will there be more problems?

Please give me some good advices.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1