Flying in wintertime

Reaction score
Hi!
I´ve just bought my new Phantom 3 pro.
The present temperature here in sweden is aprx. -10 dgr. C.

Is there any known problems with flying in under these cold conditions?
Is there a recommended minimum temperature for flying?

I quess the battery will be affected but will there be more problems?

Please give me some good advices.

Thank you! I´m new in this forum and I just found that possability too

I've been flying in -16C recentl - no problem at all. I've been keeping battery in room right before flight. No extra warming up or something like that.

And R, welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

DJI recommends not flying in temperatures below freezing. They have some good cold weather flying tips here and here.

I may as well sell mine if I didn't fly it below zero.
It's not a requirement -- just their suggestion. Many people fly in below freezing temperatures with no issues. You just need to ensure you're taking the necessary precautions.

Had ice build up on the blades from a 5 minute flight last night, temp was about 8F with a slight fog if thats even possible. The ice on the blades turned to condensation quickly because i took that picture in the house. Thats a ski hill in the background.

Don't be fearful of flying during winter. Just because you're cold doesn't mean the drone won't perform properly. Just glance at the battery percentage a little more often.

2016-01-13 18.46.17.jpg 2016-01-13 18.47.43.jpg 2016-01-13 18.49.56.jpg

If you check the Battery Safety Sheet that came with your P3 it recommends flying between -10c and 40c. I live in Canada and flew for 40 minutes yesterday at -8c

I keep the batteries warm in the car on the heated passenger seat. Usually when I pop the battery in the battery temp is about 17-18C. I let the aircraft idle/hover low for about 2:min30sec until the battery temp reaches 25 c. I also make sure to liftoff slowly

I notice the battery temp is about 36c when it lands. I only push it to 12-15 min per battery. I have 4 It seems to work for me.

....after 40 minutes I'm a popsicle by then...go slow in the snow!

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Many of us fly in cold weather. Just be sure to keep your batteries warm and plan on shorter flight times. Also, be sure your on the latest firmware as they addressed a problem with P3 batteries in cold weather.

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

Had ice build up on the blades from a 5 minute flight last night, temp was about 8F with a slight fog if thats even possible. The ice on the blades turned to condensation quickly because i took that picture in the house. Thats a ski hill in the background.

Don't be fearful of flying during winter. Just because you're cold doesn't mean the drone won't perform properly. Just glance at the battery percentage a little more often.

View attachment 40446 View attachment 40447 View attachment 40448
Are those Carbon Fiber Props or did you dye them? I just dyed a few props (1 set) with Rite, wondering how they perform if any difference at all.

Are those Carbon Fiber Props or did you dye them? I just dyed a few props (1 set) with Rite, wondering how they perform if any difference at all.
Carbon from either DJI or Amazon, very stiff as compared to OEM...might be slightly louder.....not sure.

Dyeing the props has no effect on performance. I have dyed props and shells with no issues.
Maybe he has the DJI 9450 carbon fiber reinforced props?

medium_13.jpg

Dyeing the props has no effect on performance. I have dyed props and shells with no issues.
Maybe he has the DJI 9450 carbon fiber reinforced props?

medium_13.jpg
Thanks LuvMyTJ. I just dyed a set but have not been able to fly.

I flew today in -8 to -9C with no issues other than wind. I warm up bird inside, step outside and compass calibrate, gps lock, then ease up to about 30 ft to clear trees around my elevated back deck and then fly until about 65% battery is left and land. (I am still breaking in new batteries)

If I waited for a nice, pretty, warm, sunny, calm day in Ontario, Canuckistan, I'd be too old to see the bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl