Flying In The Rain

Reaction score
I’ve flown my Phantom 4 pro and mavic in the rain for short amounts of time, but never for long. The body seems pretty water proof on both, the blades seem like the protect the motors, and the cameras seem somewhat safe. What’s the longest you’ve flown in the rain, and what happened? Do you think it’s fine to fly it in the rain, as long as you dry it, and put it somewhere with a low humidity and warm to dry? Also I’ve heard of putting ear wax on camera lenses to repel water. Have you heard of any filters that repel water well?

I’ve flown my Phantom 4 pro and mavic in the rain for short amounts of time, but never for long. The body seems pretty water proof on both, the blades seem like the protect the motors, and the cameras seem somewhat safe. What’s the longest you’ve flown in the rain, and what happened? Do you think it’s fine to fly it in the rain, as long as you dry it, and put it somewhere with a low humidity and warm to dry? Also I’ve heard of putting ear wax on camera lenses to repel water. Have you heard of any filters that repel water well?

You might want to consider getting a Phantom 4 Wet Suit if your going to be a storm chaser. We have fully tested out the phantom in the pouring rain for a full 26 minutes and have over 150 flights in the rain thus far.

The Wet Suit is the way to go:
We offer a really nice discount on the Phantom Twilight Wet Suit for Forum Members that is not on the Website.

email me at [email protected]

We have a whole website dedicated to flying in the rain: phantomrain.org
Learning how to use your c2 key is much better alternative to wax.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm
Coal

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 5.27.26 PM.png

Personally I would avoid the rain. There's really no need to do it and there is always a chance of damaging the electronics of your expensive drone.

Reactions: Recoveryone
While I probably could fly in rain successfully, I do not because the camera lens will get drops on it and prevent any good photography.

Reactions: BigAl07
While I probably could fly in rain successfully, I do not because the camera lens will get drops on it and prevent any good photography.
True, I’ve seen people use earwax on there lens to repel water. (On a uv filter).

• Haha
Reactions: joshua adam howell
Yeah I know, I was repeating because he mentioned water on the lens messsing up photos. And it seemed like he might not have read the end.
Gotya. ?

You on cam down slightly and drops are limited ,they come off with easy c1 button to flip the cam down fast ,,this clears it

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Wax on the camera? It sounds very odd to me as the camera lens has the high tech lenses and putting any wax on it will diminish the quality of the picture that is for sure while the rain worsen the quality of pictures in the first place.

Wax on the camera? It sounds very odd to me as the camera lens has the high tech lenses and putting any wax on it will diminish the quality of the picture that is for sure while the rain worsen the quality of pictures in the first place.
I saw it on a Peter Mckinnion video, and it worked really well.

Maybe I can save my ear wax for rainy days and just smear it all over my bird on rainy days, then I can use Q-Tips to wipe it down.
Watch out PhantomWetSuits, competition maybe coming your way.
Lmao, we’ve found the real solution!!!

Do you put the rainsuit on only for the rain or you have it on all the time?

Do you put the rainsuit on only for the rain or you have it on all the time?

The Wet Suit has so many other Benefits you want to have it on at all times:

The Wet Suit solves a lot of the Problems that are posted on the Forum

Secured the battery
Secures the Leg Clips
Secures the Sd Card
Secures the Props

Provides quick Orientation of your drone
and allows you to single out your drone in a mix of others.

So some other aspects to consider besides rain including gimbal Protection from sand , grit , ect.
Thank you.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Hmmm. The specs say nothing about the DJI P4P being waterproof or even weather proof... For the $$$ I spent on my DJI Drones... they are staying inside with me when it rains or snows.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31