Flying In The Rain

You might want to consider getting a Phantom 4 Wet Suit if your going to be a storm chaser. We have fully tested out the phantom in the pouring rain for a full 26 minutes and have over 150 flights in the rain thus far.

The Wet Suit is the way to go:
We offer a really nice discount on the Phantom Twilight Wet Suit for Forum Members that is not on the Website.

email me at [email protected]

We have a whole website dedicated to flying in the rain: phantomrain.org
Learning how to use your c2 key is much better alternative to wax.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm
Coal

View attachment 115990
Its been a while since ive visited this site... but im glad to have read this post.. I did not know such a thing even existed.. I am one of those odd balls that actually sends my bird up when i see a storm coming.. I love cloud and storm pics.... I will be buying one of these suits soon..

Hmmm. The specs say nothing about the DJI P4P being waterproof or even weather proof... For the $$$ I spent on my DJI Drones... they are staying inside with me when it rains or snows.

Jerry
Personally I don't have issues with the idea of wet suits but for me... I crashed my phantom on the roof upside down when it rained 18 hours straight... water flooding it in the vents... after 3 days of drying no issues. And I can't get my head around the wet suits. Not 100% safe as

1) gaps where the motors are, are still exposed

2) the air vents are still exposed making droplets of water still slide inside it.

Personally I think your wasting money buying them, esp as it doesn't protect the camera at all and any water that get a into the camera will cause a short circuit causing a blow out.

Simply don't fly in the rain... after all... don't you think DJI would make their own wetsuits rather then a 3rd party company?

Sorry I just don't buy it. And... if the wet suits fail... then what? Will the company reimburse your drone for their failure? Nope...

Sorry but a bunch of cowboys trying to make a quick buck. If DJI doesn't sell them... then anyone else is clearly a con artist. And showing videos of their drones flying in the rain... mine can do that... but will eventually cut out... bet they don't show you that video

Its been a while since ive visited this site... but im glad to have read this post.. I did not know such a thing even existed.. I am one of those odd balls that actually sends my bird up when i see a storm coming.. I love cloud and storm pics.... I will be buying one of these suits soon..

Fantastic, email me when your ready so you can get the special forum discount :

We have over 150 videos of the phantom flying in the rain so you can get some ideas of the adventures and Pictures you can get.
[email protected]

Good Question!

No you dont have to wait 3 days for anything to dry and no need to wipe off anything as the Neoprene drys really fast all on its own

This video shows both the Mavic 2 and the Phantom 4 drones geared up for the pouring Rain !

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the wet suite (WS) has water protective capabillities. In a promotional video for WS the drone falls into the water and stays on the surface. That is good for sure. But that was the test for staying on the surface.
What about the rain. Those people who have WS says it is very effective for flying in the rain. Here in your video the rain was really strong and no doubt the WS do its job well, but the camera and the gimbal was completely unprotected and pretty wet. Does the camera survived with no issues? If so, how effective WS really are. How to estimate the function of WS if drone without it also survive? We don't know that without the control 'unprotected' group.
That would be the only relevant data, if we want to talk about effectiveness of WS. Maybe somebody know more than I do.
By common sense I believe that every drone operator would put the WS on (if he has one) if going to fly in the rain. If nothing else just for the better feeling is enough.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the wet suite (WS) has water protective capabillities. In a promotional video for WS the drone falls into the water and stays on the surface. That is good for sure. But that was the test for staying on the surface.
What about the rain. Those people who have WS says it is very effective for flying in the rain. Here in your video the rain was really strong and no doubt the WS do its job well, but the camera and the gimbal was completely unprotected and pretty wet. Does the camera survived with no issues? If so, how effective WS really are. How to estimate the function of WS if drone without it also survive? We don't know that without the control 'unprotected' group.
That would be the only relevant data, if we want to talk about effectiveness of WS. Maybe somebody know more than I do.
By common sense I believe that every drone operator would put the WS on (if he has one) if going to fly in the rain. If nothing else just for the better feeling is enough.

Honest to pete: I dont understand what is so difficult about understanding that the battery takes in water on the phantom without a wet suit as does the Mavic 2 and Mavic Pro but not the AIR that is why I never made the wet suit for that drone nor the Phantom 3 , no problems with the battery taking on water, and thus no wet suit.

Common sense is that water close to the battery do not mix well, we know that shorting, dis connects and swollen batteries , and compromised batteries our the result of water of any kind.
Even if you could fly in the rain and your battery gets compromised you loose.

I did my own control group when I purchased numerous Phantom 4 from best buy testing all of them for clients before getting them ready and sending them out.

I made posts about how many of the Purchased Drones had Horizons that were off center and how I took them back. I made posts about how I could squeeze the legs of the phantom and if the clips popped off I returned it for yet another phantom as I had a large order I was filling and new for every 10 Phantoms I purchased 4 would go back .

I made this video that clearly shows why water get in the battery so easily. This is the only relevant data needed for thousands that have understood that it was just one of the weak links.
Phantom Wet Suits our sold all over the world , used by major corporations , designated and designed for those that need to fly every day rain, shine, hail or storm.

Its been 2 years now , since we introduced the Wet Suits , and Im still flying the same phantom that I have tortured tested and the camera is still pristine .

I also made a video of the Phantom 4 going underwater for 15 minutes with the camera submerged , posted also on my website showing how water resistant the camera itself is.
This is why there has never been a fear of flying it in the rain and the camera getting compromised if that was the case I would have never bothered making the wet suits.

I do realize that we have over 150 videos posted of the Phantom but its all there , the test, the submersion, the waves , better than any control group could ever hope for.

I was thinking about this the other day that I have never wiped my drone off, I just put it on the bookshelf and walk away till the next day , how cool is that , over 2 years now.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in and out of the storm
Coal

Hmmm. The specs say nothing about the DJI P4P being waterproof or even weather proof... For the $$$ I spent on my DJI Drones... they are staying inside with me when it rains or snows.

Jerry

Amen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl