Flying in state parks in Ohio.

National parks is a NO GO as of now, from what I read, each state has their own regulations, best bet is to call that particular park and ask.

Address: 19852 Ohio 664, Logan, OH 43138
Hours:
Open today · 9AM–5PM
Thursday 9AM–5PM
Friday 9AM–5PM
Saturday 9AM–5PM
Sunday 9AM–5PM
Monday 9AM–5PM
Tuesday 9AM–5PM
Wednesday 9AM–5PM
Phone: (740) 385-6842

Reactions: Nickster
Thanks for all the info. I called today. No laws against it but said I could not retrieve it if it went down off the trail since not allowed off trail and very busy right now so they did not recommend it. I told them I agreed since I do not want to be flying over lots of people and be in the way. Like the wedding indoor guy thread I saw, I may look at an Osmo for the trip for better land shots.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: stephenrevez25
I was there last weekend. I would not feel comfortable flying there at all. It was very crowded. Of course it was a holiday weekend. The other thing is that you may have trouble getting GPS signal there down in the canyons.

I flew at Pleasant Hill lake and campground near Perrysville, Ohio last weekend. It is not a state part, but it was great. I tried to stay over water all the time.

Here is a video I posted on youtube

I was there last weekend. I would not feel comfortable flying there at all. It was very crowded. Of course it was a holiday weekend. The other thing is that you may have trouble getting GPS signal there down in the canyons.

definitely not going to see gps in some of those trails..
Awesome place to visit

Greetings!

Thought I would chime in on this important question. Ohio State Parks operate under DNR which has the authority to enforce portions of the Ohio Administrative Code. The section of the OAC that can arguably apply to drones is:

1501:41-13-11 Aviation.
No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or from those lands or waters where maintained landing zones are located; or to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or at designated airfields. Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area. "Voluntarily" as used in this rule shall mean anything other than a landing made in emergency conditions. Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/01/2015 and 09/01/2020

As you can see this rule is under a five year review status. Bottom line is that the manager/chief for the specific park can give permission or designate specific areas where drone use would be permissible. Without that permission, you cannot fly. The real bottom line has been that they rarely give permission. Fly cautiously, if at all.

Yes, but read it carefully: "No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus" or "to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus". This specifically refers to manned aircraft, and specifically does not include unmanned aircraft. Granted, it is subject to review, and if enough idiots were to violate general rules of safe operation, it certainly could change. But for now, I'm flying.

Reactions: stephenrevez25
Yes, but read it carefully: "No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus" or "to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus". This specifically refers to manned aircraft, and specifically does not include unmanned aircraft. Granted, it is subject to review, and if enough idiots were to violate general rules of safe operation, it certainly could change. But for now, I'm flying.
Wouldn't flying machine pertain to p3?

Reactions: Drone Ops Video.
See my post from #4. I talked with the head of the park and received that answer. As @kirk2579 said and after being there, there is no way that you could get GPS. The gorges are very tree covered and with the caves. There are definitely beautiful sites there and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area. Ash Cave was definitely our favorite.
1f58d4f73cf958406144e7e7f30bc9db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: 66Fury
but you can take off as long as ur not on their land fly over their property and land back were u are as long as ur drone is in line of sight it says no take off no landing or ascending within their lands but once ur high up and ur flying how could that be wrong cus when u take part 107 it will go by state law if u can fly in a park but when ur up in the air id say above the trees unless ur in restricted air space u can fly its smart to take part 107 just to lear whats allowed and whats not

Today I flew at Deer Creek below the dam & was stopped & issued a warning by the park ranger stating that the corp of engineers do not allow drones (ever though not mentioned specifically in her pamphlet) close to the dam on corp property. She said we pose a terrorist threat. She also said the corp essentially owned the entire lake including the state park. I showed her that B4UFLY did not show the area off limits & showed her my FAA#. She was nice enough about it & said the state park could give me permission & they would respect it. I saw where the corp in the cumberland area was providing areas for people to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik