Pretty much can't fly drones in Cali now

Get used to change.
Arrogant, entitled, narcissistic operators will continue to precipitate further restrictions.
Some find it OK to do anything not currently restricted despite the possible lack of respect for others.

I see this becoming more and more the norm. I was apprehensive buying a drone now knowing that it's most certainly going to become more and more restrictive, due to the above.

But... so is everything else, and I won't let it stop me from doing something I enjoy... just need to be resourceful and find a way to make it work.

Driving, boating, hunting, fishing... everything needs a permit or a license or has rules that just get more and more restrictive, and that actually helped me decide to get in now, before it gets worse.

Because it will.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ok, so before I bought my P3A a couple days ago, I did a ton of research on where I can fly (mostly in Socal and I also emailed the NPS to get some clarification on flying in a state park and they said it was fine. Here's the email....

"Thank you for your email. The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is a complex area, because many parks are owned by different agencies like the National Park Service, California State Parks, Mountains, Recreation, and Conservation Authority, among other, including private property. The park sites that are owned by the National Park Service do not allow drones at all. Mountains, Recreation, and Conservation Authority also do not allow drones on their land. California State Parks do allow drones, as long as you do not harass or interfere with wild animals. On this link: Maps - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service), it shows you which park site is managed by who."

So recently on my right before my second flight with the P3A I got stopped by a park ranger and he said I could not fly in that area. I told him that this was a state park and I got told from THE NPS THAT IT WAS OK, but he said it wasn't and showed me two papers that stated you can't fly in state parks. (I attached the photos of the document) So know I can fly virtually no where close by and I'll probably be selling my P3A very soon. :( What do you guys think?

He's right in that the Santa Monica mountains are a tricky area because there are multiple agencies involved. You are correct that California State Parks do allow drones, but each local park can make their own rules and override this. Unfortunately, that has led to many parks banning drones once visitors complain about drones flying around. From the parks perspective, there is no upside to allowing drones and plenty of hysteria around permitting them, so they play cautious and just ban them.

Reactions: Droneflyer500
He's right in that the Santa Monica mountains are a tricky area because there are multiple agencies involved. You are correct that California State Parks do allow drones, but each local park can make their own rules and override this. Unfortunately, that has led to many parks banning drones once visitors complain about drones flying around. From the parks perspective, there is no upside to allowing drones and plenty of hysteria around permitting them, so they play cautious and just ban them.
Yes I agree

Seriously 500,

You live in the nanniest of nanny states

True - though to be fair, many of the restrictions in CA come about due to the large swaths of National Park Service-managed land in the state. This is good (because much of this land is stunningly beautiful - e.g., Yosemite) and bad (because it's off-limit to drones). But it's Washington DC's fault, not CA's.

Last edited:
It says that you can get an exemption from the super attendant if you need to get shots from inside the park.

See if you can open a dialog and perhaps it will work out. The letter looks like they don't want a million drones flying around and disturbing wildlife.

I live by a small airport that's rarely used and when I would call the airfield manager to inform them I'll be flying nearby, they finally told me that I didn't need to call to let them know anymore and just be safe when I fly. Which I do. :)

Don't give up.

Reactions: Droneflyer500
Tried one of those fancy new apps I got... there's lots of space of fly between all those dots and shades areas! [emoji6]
21d5341f18104661e77cec9eaab7eb6c.jpg

Hi there I'm in Australia but this is mostly what I do
Go out early in the morning (less wind btw) find a nice discrete place fly a litchi mission and before anyone realise what's going on I'm already moved on [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm down under too.
I just applied to CASA for an ARN then told them I was going to fly commercially and they sent me an email saying all good and to keep the email with me when flying.

I've been flying at Doheny State beach for a while now and never had a problem.

Hey Harley Ken, I just bought a p3 and wouldn't mind some pointers I'm wavering between returning it unopened to BB and getting a smart indoor flyer. ....but then I saw your doho footage ....I'm keeping it. So if you got time I live in San Clemente was hoping to fly off my deck as I'm right at the beach but don't know if that's feasible ? Gary

Reactions: HarleyKen
Hey Harley Ken, I just bought a p3 and wouldn't mind some pointers I'm wavering between returning it unopened to BB and getting a smart indoor flyer. ....but then I saw your doho footage ....I'm keeping it. So if you got time I live in San Clemente was hoping to fly off my deck as I'm right at the beach but don't know if that's feasible ? Gary

I don't think that is much of an issue, if you have some flight time under your belt.
I personally went to Hole in the Fence for my first flight late in the afternoon when most were at home.
You might want to fly the sports park on Vista Hermosa too.
Glad you kept the P3 too![emoji122][emoji122]. It's really easy and super fun.

If there's no signs I'd just fly until I'm told not to.

Hey guys, stumbled upon this thread when doing a little research (always gotta do Tha drone research with all the insane laws now). I am going to be in Southern California for work for a bit...So naturally I'm bringing my drone.

With everything you mentioned above, any great areas you do recommend flying?? Also, I don't mind a good hike for better flying.

I live in rural Nevada, but I still drive for 2 hours to get myself out in the middle of nowhere. No people, pets or property. Places like this exist everywhere, but sometimes you have to find them.

If I want to do local flying I leave the P4 at home and take my trusty Syma X8C out for a spin.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers